PDA

View Full Version : Safe but still gives you a rush

TPnTX
02-21-2009, 05:18 PM
I rented this to take out some Mistletoe. You don't get used to being help up by a pole.

White Gardens
02-21-2009, 05:46 PM
A year ago I took down a 55 foot hackberry tree. I was originally going to use a pull behind, but opted for the fully mobile JLG man lift.

I'm like you, it still doesn't matter how safe you are, you just never get over the height issue. One bad move and it's all over with.

Tree guys have nerves of steel.

AOD
02-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Thats the easy way! Gotta climb up there and do it that way!

TPnTX
02-21-2009, 06:29 PM
I've done my share of climbing. 22 trees on the list but most aren't as bad as that one. The thing about mistletoe is it spreads from bird poop. Birds tend to land on the outermost branches. Unless youre a bird you can't get there.

I saw one of the mobile units today and thought it might be a lot more productive since I'm pretty much going from one house to the next. The rest left to do are on the same street. Im going to check on the price but the other thing is the learning curve. Its not a hard machine to manuver but I got it down now.

The stupidest thing I did was start on my 1st day off ADHD meds. I couldnt tell if I was speeding my azz of or if my heart was racing because of the height. Maybe both. I've never claimed to be a genius.

White Gardens
02-21-2009, 07:05 PM
The stupidest thing I did was start on my 1st day off ADHD meds. I couldnt tell if I was speeding my azz of or if my heart was racing because of the height. Maybe both. I've never claimed to be a genius.

:laugh:, probably both

KCfireman
02-21-2009, 07:10 PM
i know what ya mean. I hate it when I have to scale up a 100' ladder truck. It sucks. It starts rockin back and forth and you think your gonna crash to the ground.

burge19
02-21-2009, 08:45 PM
i know what ya mean. I hate it when I have to scale up a 100' ladder truck. It sucks. It starts rockin back and forth and you think your gonna crash to the ground.

Yeah i here ya there we have a 75 footer... its awesome once you get up there tho

KCfireman
02-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Yeah i here ya there we have a 75 footer... its awesome once you get up there thooh yea. You guy's have a quint?

KCfireman
02-21-2009, 09:25 PM
here's what happens when you dont have propper outrigger placement!:hammerhead::dizzy:

DLAWNS
02-22-2009, 12:37 AM
You guys have bigger ba**s than I do. I couldn't do that.

LB1234
02-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Why didn't you move the white pickup before trimming? Looking for an insurance claim?

JB1
02-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Why didn't you move the white pickup before trimming? Looking for an insurance claim?

precision trimming.

burge19
02-22-2009, 04:08 PM
oh yea. You guy's have a quint?

Yeah,,, we just got it last fall, havent got to use it to much tho

STIHL GUY
02-22-2009, 08:03 PM
looks fun and scary at the same time

ed2hess
02-22-2009, 08:45 PM

And there is another car within the line of fire to the right:hammerhead:

Runner
02-22-2009, 10:09 PM
I have watched these tree guys and sometimes the Consumers Power guys, and it isn't so much the sway back and forth of the bucket that would be the worst (although, it would be enough for me), but it is when you see these things bounce. I was watching these guys take down a tree, and as the guy in the bucket would tie pieces of tree limbs off to the bucket, he would cut them so the bucket supported them to lower them down to the ground. When these things let go, this bucket would bounce up and down about half the height of the guy in the bucket. That would be enough fpr me to lose it, I'm sure. I've never been up in a bucket before, but would sure like to...just for the feel of it.

Grits
02-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Mistletoe? Did you at least get a kiss?

04superduty
02-23-2009, 09:53 PM
I have watched these tree guys and sometimes the Consumers Power guys, and it isn't so much the sway back and forth of the bucket that would be the worst (although, it would be enough for me), but it is when you see these things bounce. I was watching these guys take down a tree, and as the guy in the bucket would tie pieces of tree limbs off to the bucket, he would cut them so the bucket supported them to lower them down to the ground. When these things let go, this bucket would bounce up and down about half the height of the guy in the bucket. That would be enough fpr me to lose it, I'm sure. I've never been up in a bucket before, but would sure like to...just for the feel of it.

that is one very dangerous thing to do, bucket trucks are not ment to take a shock load like that, bad things can happen if done to many times.

Grassmechanic
02-24-2009, 12:31 PM
that is one very dangerous thing to do, bucket trucks are not ment to take a shock load like that, bad things can happen if done to many times.

I was going to say the same thing.

SLC, LLC
02-24-2009, 12:54 PM
That is the same way we do all (limited amounts) of our tree work. Refuse to climb anything anymore after shattering my forearm two years ago in a tree. I would love to buy a used one of them but can't seemt to run across them anywhere.