PDA

View Full Version : Funny lawn application stories?

a plus bob
02-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Any body have any good stories? I will start.
I pulled up TO a rental house to treat the lawn and went to the door to get the renter to open a locked gate.A guy comes to the door and I tell him why I'm there.He ask will it kill weed and I told him it was a weed and feed app. He says yeah but will it kill weed so I say yes.So he says hold on I will be right back.Later he comes back to the door and says OK go ahead.I go into the back yard to find several (WEED PLANTS) covered with garbage bags!!When I was reeling up my hose he comes out and asks me how long until I can uncover my WEED!!!:hammerhead:

greendoctor
02-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Whoa. I know the DEA used to use paraquat for that WEED. Here, we had helicopters with drop down nozzles spraying RoundUp.

turfsolutions
02-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Here's an idea- Take the billions (yes billions) the government spends on the marijuana war and put that money into job creation, education, sustainable energy etc... Sorry off the subject of the thread but had to vent.

No funny stories except maybe the one time I came to a house that I knew had a German Shepard. Came to the gate and whistled and rattled the gate to make sure the dog was in. Opened the gate walked around the corner and here comes that German Shepard bookin around the corner barking its head off. Wasn't funny at the time but we made it out without injury.

grassman177
02-21-2009, 06:08 PM
turf solutions, good idea. you must have watched Bill Maher last night on HBO! that was brought up by him and a discussion with Ron Paul. very interesting. anyway, back to subject. at the time of the great depression they lifted the prohibition bill against booze and profit from the sales tax most definitly helped out. this is a similar idea i think.

we were treating lawns with our mowers and jrco spreaders a few years ago. the ground was still pretty wet after some rain we had and i was treating a hilly lawn that went down into the forest and creek in the back. well, it was a dumb idea and i should have known better but i lost traction and slid into the forest. trying to get out i made a grease slick of mud and ended up going further into the forest to a clearing area a t the bottom of the hill. from there we had to clear a small pathway in the forest up a steep incline the other direction from the customers property to the street( he ad a corner lot). we used our tow chains and hooked them up to our truck(minus trailer) ans pulled it up the incline through the path we had blazed and up in to the street. it was real funny in the end and we only treat this area by hand spreader now. hope you all could get the picture from my description

a plus bob
02-21-2009, 06:30 PM
here's another I have many but here we go.I pulled up to spray a lawn one morning about 8:00 am. I noticed a dog tied out so I go to the door to ask the lady about 70/80 yrs old to bring her dog in.She comes to the door NAKED except for a untied robe and DRUNK!!!When she opened the door she falls out I put my arms up to catch her and you guessed it my arms go inside the untied robe and I'm holding her up naked against me.I opened the door and tried to pull the door shut but she falls out again!after several attempts at this I decide I will have to carry her inside.So I pick her up carry her in prop her in the corner and got out fast.The next day she calls in and cancels:laugh::laugh::laugh::drinkup::drinkup:

Surferbum21
02-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Any body have any good stories? I will start.
I pulled up TO a rental house to treat the lawn and went to the door to get the renter to open a locked gate.A guy comes to the door and I tell him why I'm there.He ask will it kill weed and I told him it was a weed and feed app. He says yeah but will it kill weed so I say yes.So he says hold on I will be right back.Later he comes back to the door and says OK go ahead.I go into the back yard to find several (WEED PLANTS) covered with garbage bags!!When I was reeling up my hose he comes out and asks me how long until I can uncover my WEED!!!:hammerhead:

that's awesome. i woulda taken a few nuggets...j/k...but not really...or am I? what? i didn't say that

mngrassguy
02-22-2009, 01:30 AM
I knocked on a door to do an app. Fenced in back yard, pool, you know the drill. Bro says, "ya, go ahead, it's unlocked." So I go around back, open gate to find sis floating in the middle of the pool topless. She covered herself with one arm and paddles with the other to the pool side and gets out. She's in the deep end so has to use both arms to get out. I'm trying not to look. Ya, right.

When she gets into house I could hear her screaming, bro laughing, things being thrown, ect.

Man. I LOVE this job!!!

Grandview
02-22-2009, 08:13 AM
I knocked on a door to do an app. Fenced in back yard, pool, you know the drill. Bro says, "ya, go ahead, it's unlocked." So I go around back, open gate to find sis floating in the middle of the pool topless. She covered herself with one arm and paddles with the other to the pool side and gets out. She's in the deep end so has to use both arms to get out. I'm trying not to look. Ya, right.

When she gets into house I could hear her screaming, bro laughing, things being thrown, ect.

Man. I LOVE this job!!!

I would have got out of there quick. Go back and do the front yard, let her get out in dignity. Go back and ream the guy (bro).

bob
02-22-2009, 08:28 AM
I was cutting a model home , and my friend, who was the sales rep for Chemlawn, was in charge of the model's fert. applications. After about 3-4 months, i keep telling him about a big clover patch in the back, and I also said the lawn didn't look real green. He couldn't figure out what the problem was. His Tech. was going out to the model's lawn. Then about 5 months into the season I told him the clover was still there & the lawn wasn't real green. He did a little detective work, and found out that his Tech. was going to the model home next door. He didn't have a contract with this one, and another company was doing the apps. This lawn was getting double apps, all year long.

Ric
02-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Bob

Your story is like my own from many years ago, only the lawn I was cutting was getting the double Applys. Turns out the customer was real up tight about a green lawn, he hired two companies to fert it. Needless to say he was looking for an other mowing company when I realized the problem.

RigglePLC
02-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Don't call twice. At TG many years ago a customer called in about weeds. Well, myself and the other redo guy were a little behind (about 14 days). So she called again, raised hell, so the boss got a guy to get out there right away. He got there about nine and resprayed the lawn with fert and weed killer. I finally got caught up and did the same at about 2 PM. Very lucky--no harm done.

GallucciLandscaping
02-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Did an app late Nov for a new lawn we installed, anyways didn't send an invoice til mid Dec cuz I was busy but I never got a check or heard anything from the homeowner so I called but no answer or no answering machine... waited a couple days called again and the same thing so I sent a second notice (now its Jan 10) she calls a day later saying she never got the first invoice and claims I wasn't there to do that app. I told her it was winterizer blah blah blah and she says ok Ill send a check. Feb 4 I got to the mailbox and theres a letter from her saying I reviewed my outside camera sys and you weren't here in the end of Oct. I call back and tell her the exact date and time I was there and she goes Ill have to review my tapes. Its now Feb 22 and still no payment.

needless to say I wont be working for her this year

a plus bob
02-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Any more? Keep them coming!

44DCNF
02-22-2009, 06:39 PM
never mind, it was a mis-application of a tale of a different sort so I removed it.

humble1
02-22-2009, 06:55 PM
The next day she calls in and cancels:laugh::laugh::laugh::drinkup::drinkup:

We are all friends here. What did you really grab on that old lady to get you fired?:laugh:

vaughnslawns
02-22-2009, 07:23 PM
my bro. put round up pro in a 300 gallon tank instead of trimeic:cry: totaled a wholoe 55 and older community:waving:

a plus bob
02-22-2009, 07:29 PM
We are all friends here. What did you really grab on that old lady to get you fired?:laugh:

I would have had to crab her knee caps!!:laugh::laugh:

DLAWNS
02-22-2009, 11:10 PM
These are hilarious. I've been sitting here laughin my as* off.

humble1
02-26-2009, 09:03 PM
One time years ago I showed up around 8am on a Sat to do an estimate. The house was by the beach, it was a windy spring day. I ring the bell and step back down off the 5 or 6 steps on the front porch. The guy comes out with a cup of coffee and is wearing a bathrobe. So as Im talking to him and looking him straight in the eyes, I couldn help but notice the area that is now eye level with my face is flapping in the wind. Yup the rope was blowing and his junk was all out. Here is the million dollar question, was he doing it on purpose or was he just so old he didnt know?

humble1
02-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Another embarassing thing that happened a few times is ripping my crotch on my pants.

Oh yeah I always use hearing protection with a radio, I was tying down my machine. My stomache was all knots from gas, something I ate, well not to be gross, but farting alot and very loudly, all the planets just happened to be in line for some reason, the loud farts were off the charts. Sorry for the background, but it is imperitive to the story. I was fumbling with a tie down, I rip one, just as my customer's wife was coming over to ask me a question. 4-5 feet from my arse, the look of horror in her eyes coould have only been beat by the look of shock and embarassment in mine.

a plus bob
02-26-2009, 09:21 PM
MORE PLEASE :clapping::laugh::laugh:

sprayboy
02-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Invoice instructions said to knock on door and let homeowner know we are there. I did. Lady opens door with small child in hand and the security alarm goes off. This was at 8 am. Neighbors start coming out of their houses and 3 cop cars show up. I just kept spraying the back lawn.

sprayboy
02-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Used to see the ladies laying out in neighbors lawns years ago. The nozzle on my gun used to plug up alot also.

Tanning beds ruined a good thing.

RigglePLC
02-26-2009, 09:30 PM
So I was talking to a nice young lady sales lead at the front door--nice house, she stepped out onto the porch. Her two year old little boy pushed the door shut. It was locked.

sprayboy
02-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Picked up a bag of weed one day laying on the road next to a curb.

ted putnam
02-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Picked up a bag of weed one day laying on the road next to a curb.

Yesterday I found a pot plant growing in dormant bermuda about 2 inches from the front curb. So much for Fall pre-emergence:laugh: I spotted it when recirculating my hose. Just happened to look down,notice it and thought "What the Hell?" I recognized it from pictures I've seen...:rolleyes:

a plus bob
02-27-2009, 07:32 AM
Man I must have miss understood some of the post on here."I sprayed a customers lawn the other day I really smoked those weeds".

grassman177
02-27-2009, 08:19 AM
i have sprayed a lawn in a rural area and every year i spray hundreds of pot plants growing up in guys back yard not too far off theback porch! ahhMMMMMM. everyyear. i think it is pretty funny. i mentioned this to him one time and he said he had no idea where they would come from!! yeah, like i believe that one. they die, end of story!

KES
02-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Probally like all of us who have several years in the business we have hundreds of stories. I can remeber one or two at the moment. The first was when I worked for TG. I had a hippo truck and they have to be put in netural for the PTO to work. One day I was spraying a yard that was on a slight hill. I parked at the corner of the yard. I was spraying away in the back yard. I turned the corner and the truck had moved about 20 feet. I thought no I must have parked there. I kept spraying the yard and looked up and again the truck was moving very slowly down the hill. All could have been avoided if I had put the chock block down.

The second I was spraying a yard that the front had a huge slope. It was early and just as I started spraying the front hillside the home owner is leaving for work. I am making a pass and he stops to say hey. I am 20 feet from him spraying. So I continue walking towards him and boom. My foot slips out from under me, and I slide on my back and rear all the way down to the street. It was a 30 foot slide. I jumped up and the guy is yelling to see if I am alright. I was but my pride was hurt. Needless to say the boots I was wearing are somewhere in the woods across the street from his house.

I have some more and will share when I think of another good one.

Derek

turn3
02-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Used to see the ladies laying out in neighbors lawns years ago. The nozzle on my gun used to plug up alot also.

We have a few lawns that sometimes need a little extra attention in the pool area.

(Backstory: The husband had just went through major heart surgery)

A couple guys from our shop were at a lawn spraying when one of the homeowners left (the wife). Shortly after she left the her husband came out on the porch the smoke a cigarette. His wife had forgotten something and returned home only to find him outside smoking. She then flipped out and started yelling at him but there was a bigger problem..........she was still driving. She was so mad at him that wasn't paying attention to where she was going and rear ended our spray truck. Our truck wasn't hurt to bad bad but it did ALOT of damage to her new car.