PDA

View Full Version : My new ride

rcreech
02-21-2009, 06:26 PM
You know me...when we build something new I have to post pics because I am just do darn proud of it! :laugh:

Got a new ride this year to haul my new Z Spray. Just got done this week building the ramp...but still have to build the spray system, get it wrapped and do a few final touches!

My dad built the ramp and it is 100% stainless! It is 120" long and 60" wide and weighs about 300#...but it lifts very easy with 2- 270# gas shocks!

I am really pumped about this outfit as it can carry 2 pallets of fert and 250 gallons of water.

Let me know what ya think!

4.3mudder
02-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Nice, I like them chrome wheels. You might be able to squeeze that John Deere in there, might have to have heavy duty ramps though! lol

a plus bob
02-21-2009, 06:35 PM
sweet!!!! that must be one of those big gas gussler trucks I keep reading about on here.:laugh::laugh:That Z-spray looks like its ready to go make some money.AWESOME RIDE!

Grandview
02-21-2009, 07:03 PM
How are you going to get the fert up in the truck. Is the ramp strong enough to hold a fork lift? Enclosed trucks are nice but I like my open trailer. Everything is easy to load and get to.

IntegrityGuy
02-21-2009, 07:13 PM
How are you going to get the fert up in the truck. Is the ramp strong enough to hold a fork lift? Enclosed trucks are nice but I like my open trailer. Everything is easy to load and get to.

hell probably use good ole man power.

rcreech
02-21-2009, 07:20 PM

Good question!

We actually designed the ramp so it would be very easy to take off while in the upright position.

Undue the two shocks, use a vinyl stap to lift with forklift and pull the hinge pin. It takes about 4-5 minutes total. Then load with forklift.

I will only have to load it about every other day or so...so not too bad.

Went with box to keep product dry....but mostly for the ADVERTISING!

Ric
02-21-2009, 07:25 PM

Oops we can't think of everything but a side door for loading pallets would be nice. Maybe the Ramp is easy to come off so a fork lift can load and a Pallet jack can move it around.

rcreech

Nice ride, Now put a computer and printer in the front seat and you have a complete rolling shop-office. No excuse for leaving any thing at home. BTW I am a big fan of enclosed equipment haulers.

rcreech
02-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Oops we can't think of everything but a side door for loading pallets would be nice. Maybe the Ramp is easy to come off so a fork lift can load and a Pallet jack can move it around.

rcreech

Nice ride, Now put a computer and printer in the front seat and you have a complete rolling shop-office. No excuse for leaving any thing at home. BTW I am a big fan of enclosed equipment haulers.

Thanks Ric!

I actually looked at adding a side door...but the cost was CRAZY, and it was going to mess us my "billboard"! I am having the truck wrapped next week and it doesn't look as good with a door!

Effeciency is very important to me...but looks is also!

I would have loved to add a door as it would have been much easier to load and I was going to have a good way to access my hose reel. I was looking at a hose reel on a tracked system when side door was open, and then move it out of the way when loading truck with fert (it was going to be a sweet design).

Now I think I am going to put the hose reel below the box and drop the hoses through the floor to an enclosed box with the hose reel in it.

Still working on building the sprayer and design.

a plus bob
02-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Maybe put the reel in a belly box I have seen new plastic ones that are supposed to be as solid as steel.

Grandview
02-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Good question!

We actually designed the ramp so it would be very easy to take off while in the upright position.

Undue the two shocks, use a vinyl stap to lift with forklift and pull the hinge pin. It takes about 4-5 minutes total. Then load with forklift.

I will only have to load it about every other day or so...so not too bad.

Went with box to keep product dry....but mostly for the ADVERTISING!

Once the fertilizer is on the truck do you have to move by hand to the front? I assume you need room for the Z in the back. That seems like it would take too much time and work for me.

rcreech
02-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Once the fertilizer is on the truck do you have to move by hand to the front? I assume you need room for the Z in the back. That seems like it would take too much time and work for me.

Again...it is actually quite simple to load. Not as perfect as having a side door, but still very simple.

I will load the first pallet on say the drivers side and will have it pushed in about 20-24". Then I go and get the second pallet and all you do is put 2x4 across the first pallet and then take a 4x4 about 4 ft long and push in with the next pallet. Then do the same thing again for the passengers side.

Both pallets will be side by side when completed and the whole back end will be empty (about 90-100").

I guarantee I will have the ramp off, get it loaded and have the ramp back on in 15 minutes or so.

That means it will take me 7.5 minutes per day (load 2 days fert at once). That isn't too bad by my watch!

a plus bob
02-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Make sure you post pics when its done!

treegal1
02-21-2009, 08:49 PM
swing arm for the ramp? take the gas lifts off and use a swing arm .02........

RABBITMAN11
02-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Looks good Rod

Grandview
02-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Again...it is actually quite simple to load. Not as perfect as having a side door, but still very simple.

I will load the first pallet on say the drivers side and will have it pushed in about 20-24". Then I go and get the second pallet and all you do is put 2x4 across the first pallet and then take a 4x4 about 4 ft long and push in with the next pallet. Then do the same thing again for the passengers side.

Both pallets will be side by side when completed and the whole back end will be empty (about 90-100").

I guarantee I will have the ramp off, get it loaded and have the ramp back on in 15 minutes or so.

That means it will take me 7.5 minutes per day (load 2 days fert at once). That isn't too bad by my watch!

I am impressed.

JosephLawnCare
02-21-2009, 09:32 PM

You need to get a pallet jack. Keep it stored in the truck with the forks inside the pallet and it won't take up much room. Nice job on the ramp! how come you chose stainless, that had to be expensive?!!

TLS
02-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Looks GREAT!!!

I'll second that you get a pallet jack.... Make sure it's a 210° steering arc. You'll be able to spin any pallet around inside the truck.

Probably cost under $300, and you can use it in your shop too.

rcreech
02-21-2009, 10:08 PM
aplusbob,

I will post when completed. Should be in about 2 weeks.

Treegal,

Swingarm? Please explain? They would replace the shocks?

Rabbit,

Thanks! I sent you some other pics via e-mail.

Grandview,

Thanks!

Joseph,

I have a pallet jack...but it would take longer then the way I am going to do it. I used stainless for several reasons and the two biggest were LOOKS and NO RUST.

It was VERY EXPENSIVE to use stainless...but the way I looked at it...is I still have less then half in my stainless ramp then I would have if I would have had to buy a steel one!

I just always try and go the extra mile when it comes to equipment and things I use everyday!

RABBITMAN11
02-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Hey rod give me a call real quick!

Rayholio
02-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Hint:

For your side door(s) on those box trucks check out RV salvage.. I put 2 3ft x 5ft doors, and one 1ft x 3ft door on the sides of my box truck.. One for reels, one for curb side fert access, and one for the 55gal gas tank access... They cost me about $500 installed TOTAL..

I'd LOVE to have a ramp like that... How much did it cost in materials?

DLAWNS
02-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Nice design...It looks awesome. I look forward to seeing everything when it's finished.

treegal1
02-21-2009, 10:47 PM
mount the hinge on a swing arm, then undo the lift aide, and swing the ramp off to one side, or add a part on the swing arm to hold the pistons also??? some 1 1/2 square and a little 1/2 round stock, run from top to bottom and add a cross brace, then just move the current mount tabs to the swing arm and your in swing gate heaven, it will be sitting on the bumper for support when unloading and should have a pull pin on the opposite side of the hinge so it don't move, what like another 140 lbs or so and you a good fab so??? tell pops nice work!!!

grassman177
02-21-2009, 11:46 PM
very nice and this should serve you very well. cant wait to see the finals

RABBITMAN11
02-22-2009, 07:32 AM
This is the best way to have chemical truck set up. My truck is set up exactly the same, except I have a side door in which we slide fert in with a fork lift. No more problems with rain or theft. Rod will never go back to a pick up after using this set up. Rod ramp looks, I would like my ramps to be stainless, but four years and no problems. Good luck with it this season, by the way you talked me into putting lettering on my truck.

Victor
02-22-2009, 10:51 AM
I love it! That's one sweet ride man!!! :waving:

rcreech
02-22-2009, 11:10 AM
mount the hinge on a swing arm, then undo the lift aide, and swing the ramp off to one side, or add a part on the swing arm to hold the pistons also??? some 1 1/2 square and a little 1/2 round stock, run from top to bottom and add a cross brace, then just move the current mount tabs to the swing arm and your in swing gate heaven, it will be sitting on the bumper for support when unloading and should have a pull pin on the opposite side of the hinge so it don't move, what like another 140 lbs or so and you a good fab so??? tell pops nice work!!!

VERY GOOD idea!

May do that!

Of all the different ways my dad and I discussed...we never thought of anything like that!

Thanks!

rcreech
02-22-2009, 11:12 AM
This is the best way to have chemical truck set up. My truck is set up exactly the same, except I have a side door in which we slide fert in with a fork lift. No more problems with rain or theft. Rod will never go back to a pick up after using this set up. Rod ramp looks, I would like my ramps to be stainless, but four years and no problems. Good luck with it this season, by the way you talked me into putting lettering on my truck.

Thanks for all your help and the pics of your truck ramp! It really helped us put a good plan together!

rcreech
02-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Hint:

For your side door(s) on those box trucks check out RV salvage.. I put 2 3ft x 5ft doors, and one 1ft x 3ft door on the sides of my box truck.. One for reels, one for curb side fert access, and one for the 55gal gas tank access... They cost me about $500 installed TOTAL..

I'd LOVE to have a ramp like that... How much did it cost in materials?

Thanks!

The material costs were as follows:

Stainless tubing for ramp: $300 (got a really good deal on it)
Hinges: $15 - Made our own with 1/2" stainless rod...and stainless pipe. The stainless hinges if we would have bought them were going to be $90 each
Stainless flooring (expanded metal): $700
2 - 270# Gas Shocks: $104
Labor: Priceless!!!!!

My dad is one of the best welders in our area! He has been a welder for for about 35 years and there isn't much he can't do. He holds several certifications! He does a ton of work for a lot of people in the area both fabbing and fixing.

Rayholio
02-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Not bad for less than $1,500 ! I had a non stainless one peice 7 ft gate welded up about 3 years ago, and it was almost that much..

That is one working sum'biatch! Enjoy!

topdog
02-22-2009, 01:36 PM
looks good can't wait to see your pictures when you have it logoed up and fined tuned for the start of the season.

americanlawn
02-22-2009, 02:36 PM
WOW! Nice job RC. It's alot better than "what you ran before". Good advice from RABIITMAN11 - when he told me about his (similar) setup, I was hoping he would contact you. I'm with topdog.........where's the LOGO, decals, etc?

How 'bout using Joseph Lawn Care's avatar pic?? That pic alone would sell me. :laugh:

rcreech
02-22-2009, 03:44 PM
WOW! Nice job RC. It's alot better than "what you ran before". Good advice from RABIITMAN11 - when he told me about his (similar) setup, I was hoping he would contact you. I'm with topdog.........where's the LOGO, decals, etc?

How 'bout using Joseph Lawn Care's avatar pic?? That pic alone would sell me. :laugh:

I have to take it in this week to get wrapped. I was going to logo it...but kinda like the way the wraps look better.

I would love to use Joseph Lawn Care's logo...but would probably lose half the truck and everything else to my wife!

Don't need that! :laugh:

Will post pics when completed.

rcreech
02-23-2009, 07:35 PM

Treegal,

THANKS for the awesome idea!

Talked to my dad and looked at the truck...and we are doing it!

Probably won't be able to jump on it real quick due to some other things getting done...but pumped up about it and should get it done in maybe before it gets wrapped later this week!

I will post pics of YOUR idea as soon as completed. This will save a little time when loading.

Runner
02-23-2009, 10:27 PM
That is sweet...
Just out of curiosity, about what does that ramp setup weigh?

rcreech
02-23-2009, 10:49 PM
That is sweet...
Just out of curiosity, about what does that ramp setup weigh?

Thanks Runner!

It is somewhere around 300# (+/-20#)...but has 2 - 270# gas shocks to aid in lifting.

bflower
02-24-2009, 10:19 AM
RC

Truck looks Awesome and ramp looks even better. Might have to have to talk to your dad- There is a real need in this industry for quality stainless goods! Curioius if you got wrapped yet? i would seriously think about at least a small door on the side - wouldnt take much, and with your dads fab ability could be easily done. every step you can eliminate in the loading process is money in your pocket!

rcreech
02-24-2009, 10:42 PM
RC

Truck looks Awesome and ramp looks even better. Might have to have to talk to your dad- There is a real need in this industry for quality stainless goods! Curioius if you got wrapped yet? i would seriously think about at least a small door on the side - wouldnt take much, and with your dads fab ability could be easily done. every step you can eliminate in the loading process is money in your pocket!

I will be taking it in this week.

Here is what they are going to do!

Any feedback guys? PLEASE be brutally honest!

Hurry is so as I am sure they will be printing it VERY soon!

RABBITMAN11
02-24-2009, 10:45 PM
I think it looks great!

DUSTYCEDAR
02-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Nice job

MStine315
02-24-2009, 11:11 PM
Looks nice. Great job Rodney! I like my vehicles used year round. But if I didn't plow in the winter I'd be all over something like this. Even then you've got me hard thinking about it.

Runner
02-24-2009, 11:27 PM
WOW!!!! Man, I liked it before, but THAT is spectacular! Talk about a rolling billboard! Ok,...I'll stop shouting now...I know some of you guys have people sleeping....:laugh:
Seriously, though...That REALLY is nice. Man,...what an outfit.

Josh.S
02-24-2009, 11:30 PM
That looks great man. My only suggestion is that I would get rid of the dandelion on the left, after all, aren't you trying to get rid of weeds? :)

I am debating on what my next vehicle will be, since I plow I was thinking of getting a stake body 4wd 1 ton or so, but this looks like such a nice setup.. :)

MStine315
02-25-2009, 12:46 AM
I noticed the dandelion, too. It doesn't bother me, per se, but maybe a circle/slash through it?

Runner
02-25-2009, 01:22 AM
Nope...I say leave it. It will act as an element of a reminder of what we're AFter. If it is just a plain lawn,...people can say yeah,...ok. If the weed is there, people say. "Yeah,...those dog gone dandelions!"
One question though...Before this goes to print. Can he do some photoshop work on the color of the grass? I don't know if it is my computer, or what...but the grass just has a dull color..almost as if it has a gray to it. I don't know...I would just like to see a more prettier color...something with perhaps a bit more blue in it, or even a louder green. The color that is on there now reminds me more of a late fall color - when the grass starts to dry out a bit, and is dry to cut.
Oh,...also..and this is BIG....You are going to need to put your city name and atleast your state abbreviation on the side, as well. This is required by the state DOT. You are fine with nothing on the door (except your DOT#) because it is a closed truck. This allows you to put your company name and number (and city,state) on the back panel. Of course, as we know...any open truck (pickup, stake, etc.), has to be labeled on the doors.

Edit: Oh, I'm sorry,...I was thinking you were here in Michigan. But anyway,...still check into your states reg's just in case..and look into this thoroughly! Thumbs Up So you don't end up kickin' yourself in the rear! :wall

Whitey4
02-25-2009, 05:43 AM
Rodney, it simply looks great. Sorry, but I still have to chuckle... 6 months ago you were thinking about selling, all kinds of worried... and just look at that rig! It's georgous!

rcreech
02-25-2009, 06:39 AM
That looks great man. My only suggestion is that I would get rid of the dandelion on the left, after all, aren't you trying to get rid of weeds? :)

I am debating on what my next vehicle will be, since I plow I was thinking of getting a stake body 4wd 1 ton or so, but this looks like such a nice setup.. :)

I looked through about 10,000 pictures 3 years ago (iPhoto and Stock Photo) to find a good picture with 1 dandelion.

I have since used it on my postcard ever year and get a very good repsonse.

Was looking for a lawn with 1 dandelion so it would go with my tag line (Give a weed an inch...and it will take a yard") R

What I am trying to say is:
1 WEED can TURN into MANY

Does that make sense or not?

Whitey4
02-25-2009, 06:40 AM
I looked through about 10,000 pictures 3 years ago (iPhoto and Stock Photo) to find a good picture with 1 dandelion.

I have since used it on my postcard ever year and get a very good repsonse.

Was looking for a lawn with 1 dandelion so it would go with my tag line (Give a weed an inch...and it will take a yard" R

What I am trying to say is:
1 WEED can TURN into MANY

Does that make sense or not?

Yes, it makes sense and I like it.

rcreech
02-25-2009, 06:45 AM
Yes, it makes sense and I like it.

Thanks for all your input guys...as this makes me feel like I atleast have the right stuff on there!

The only changes I am thinking about making are:

-See if color can be more vibrant (Thanks Runner)
-Put tag line in the green strip INSTEAD of the list of services
-Maybe move green strip up a little so more lawn will show
-Add phone number to back door
-Check to see if state info is needed (Don't think so here in OH but need to check)

Anything else?

Hope they don't have these things printed yet!!!! Don't think they can as I have not OFFICIALLY approved the "final draft" other then verbally.

sprayboy
02-25-2009, 07:55 AM
rcreech,

The whole thing looks good, from ramp and storage to the wrap. The "Z" finishes it off.

You should find out from the motor carrier division of the State Police for your answers for the DOT #. That is who controls it here. I believe it falls under the Federal Motor Carrier laws if you are over the 10,000 lb gvwr.

rcreech
02-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Here are a few updates.

Talked to them today and I need to make any changese QUICK.

I had them "green up" the lawn and add the phone number and the dandy to the back.

Anything else?

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR FEEDBACK AND HELP!

It is great to hear what you think, your ideas and to get your opinions!!!!!

heritage
02-25-2009, 03:58 PM
I will be taking it in this week.

Here is what they are going to do!

Any feedback guys? PLEASE be brutally honest!

Hurry is so as I am sure they will be printing it VERY soon!

My Favorite View is the "Front".

Damn that is HOT!

Nice work.

Pete

a plus bob
02-25-2009, 04:06 PM
polished alum. wheels or simulators?

turf hokie
02-25-2009, 04:07 PM
You got my phone number wrong. When you change it let me know so I can pick up the truck..

Man I am jealous. Makes my '96 fuso look like crap.

ksJoe
02-25-2009, 06:21 PM
I like the dandelion.

You could add something sarcastic by the dandelion in really small print. In print so small people will only see it they're checking out your truck at a stoplight. Give them a chuckle, and they might remember you...

Something like:
"What, don't you like yellow flowers?
Me neither. I could take that of that for you"

Or:
"You see, one of these is too many. Give us call"

Or:
"Weed to you, bullseye to me"

Or:
"Your weed is my bullseye"

Or, put a 2 inch tall guy with a sprayer walking across its petals.

rcreech
02-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Pete,
Thanks!

Aplusbob,

They are just simulators...but 304 stainless, so they should last.

Turfhokie,
:laugh: Thats awesome!

ksJoe,

Like the comments...especially the Bullseye one!

rcreech
02-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Rodney, it simply looks great. Sorry, but I still have to chuckle... 6 months ago you were thinking about selling, all kinds of worried... and just look at that rig! It's georgous!

Thanks Whitey!!!

I know...it just seems like yesterday I was ready to get the heck out!

I think (I guess I can say I know)I was more scared then, then I am now!!!! :dizzy:

How are things going up your way? Business good?

Grandview
02-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Rodney, For the phone number use numbers no "LAWN". This is me personally. I hate letters because I have to look for the numbers any way. You want it as easy for customers as possible. Although lawn might be easier to remember when you fly by at 70 mph.

a plus bob
02-25-2009, 07:12 PM
I had a stainless set on my 1 ton chevy until tire guy beat on it with a hammer and destroyed them:nono: said he couldn't get them back on?

rcreech
02-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Rodney, For the phone number use numbers no "LAWN". This is me personally. I hate letters because I have to look for the numbers any way. You want it as easy for customers as possible. Although lawn might be easier to remember when you fly by at 70 mph.

I have tried to BRAND my phone number so people can remember it!

If I have numbers on there...they may not remember them, but they will not be able to forget 839-LAWN.

I know what you are saying...but trying to brand people so they don't have to look my number up anytime they need anything.

SpreadNSpray
02-25-2009, 07:35 PM
I have tried to BRAND my phone number so people can remember it!

If I have numbers on there...they may not remember them, but they will not be able to forget 839-LAWN.

I know what you are saying...but trying to brand people so they don't have to look my number up anytime they need anything.

There is 4 area codes in my area. Plus some cell phones don't jive with dialing letters (Blackberry). I wouldn't use a phone # with letters. Not that it matters that much.
Maybe go with 867-5309 that's catchy.

rcreech
02-25-2009, 08:06 PM
There is 4 area codes in my area. Plus some cell phones don't jive with dialing letters (Blackberry). I wouldn't use a phone # with letters. Not that it matters that much.
Maybe go with 867-5309 that's catchy.

My whole marketing area has the same area code...but even if it didn't...I have the area code listed on my trucks.

I guess I think differently about this!!!!

If a person doesn't have a pen handy....they would have to memorize the number. Chances of them remembering isn't very good.

I think letters are really easy to remember!

I am wrong here?

Rayholio
02-25-2009, 10:36 PM
That branded phone number is invaluable.. Had a fella sign up the other day that said "I couldn't remember the name of your company.. But I did remember that it had GROW in the number... So I looked for that in the yellow pages"

Simply awesome.

RABBITMAN11
02-25-2009, 10:36 PM
I think your right Rod, people only look for a second so time and memory are critical!

rcreech
02-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Came up with a better way then taking off the ramp...or adding a swing away arm.

We just built two legs and made the ramp a deck.

Now we can set the fert on the deck and use a pallet jack to load the truck.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Finally got the plans completed for the tank system! It is going to be SWEET!

I will post the pics when it is complete.

americanlawn
03-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Yep -- the more often you display the same message, the better. I read that after 16 times, folks finally remember your "message". RC -- You are young, so you have several years to "drum in" the same message to the public. (K.I.S.S.) We did (do) this with our cheezy:laugh: TV commercials, but it works. Try to keep a common "theme" in regards to your business. Change things up a little, but never stray away from your original "theme".

Just a guess here (cuz I know you). Honesty, hard work, & results are your best attributes.

Only other advice is to ditch the Z-Spray & go with a T3000.:laugh::laugh: Just kidding all:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think your right Rod, people only look for a second so time and memory are critical!

Josh.S
03-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Only other advice is to ditch the Z-Spray & go with a T3000.:laugh::laugh: Just kidding all:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

If you wouldn't have added "just kidding" a lawnsite world war 3 would have probably broken out.. :laugh::laugh:

Rodney; I like the deck idea, I'm interested to see how you put/utilize a tank in there.

humble1
03-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Rodney, nice crome buds, Is it true you are going to put a low rider kit on that and put some flames on the front. Ya you will be pimpin out there.

Seriously thats my next truck.

MStine315
03-01-2009, 10:40 PM
That is a sweet set up. Great engineering to use the ramp as a deck. I will say though, that if I ever do something like this, someone else will be doing my fab. There's NO way I'd trust my welding to a pallet of fert., rofl. Nice work Rod.

topdog
03-08-2009, 03:53 PM
did u get the wrap on it yet reech? any pics?

rcreech
03-08-2009, 06:30 PM
did u get the wrap on it yet reech? any pics?

It is there as we speak! I kinda set them behind as I made some minor changes and just dropped it off this past Wed!

Should have it I would think by the middle of the week. I was planning on posting pics when I it is done!

Thanks for asking!

humble1
03-11-2009, 02:06 PM
I love it! That's one sweet ride man!!! :waving:

Vic where ya been, under a rock, Jail, new girlfriend? LOL
Or were you hiding under the rock to get away from the old girlfriend?:dancing:

Hope you are having a good winter.
Mike

Whitey4
03-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Rodney, I feel like a jilted GF. I will not post in your threads anymore if you don't post in mine. So there.

rcreech
03-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Rodney, I feel like a jilted GF. I will not post in your threads anymore if you don't post in mine. So there.

I am so sorry...I just haven't had enough time to be on Lawn Site lately! :laugh::laugh:

rcreech
03-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Got the truck back today and pretty happy with it!

Pics didn't turn out the best...but the color on this thing is really awesome!

Got the outside done...now its time to start on the inside! :clapping:

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
RC

RABBITMAN11
03-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Very nice Rod!

a plus bob
03-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Man that thing will cause a wreck,looking at your ride not the road.
LOOKS GOOD

rcreech
03-11-2009, 08:21 PM
THANKS GUYS!

I think it will definitly do a great job or branding...and hopefully pick me up some work!

sprayboy
03-11-2009, 09:20 PM
looks good creech

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Rodney, what a total POS. What's wrong with you? :laugh:

rcreech
03-11-2009, 10:45 PM

It's all I could afford! Sorry Man! :laugh:

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-11-2009, 11:11 PM
It's all I could afford! Sorry Man! :laugh:
You may as well just drive a Craftsman riding mower down the road with a little wagon hitched on behind it...

ted putnam
03-11-2009, 11:28 PM

I was thinking the same thing! I could do better with a Majic Marker...:laugh:

RABBITMAN11
03-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Okay Rod I'm going to post pics of my Box truck almost everything is done except the simulators, getting those shipped. Got all the lettering done so for the most part it looks complete.

NattyLawn
03-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Rod, why isn't Beck's lettered anywhere on your truck? They are the 6th largest seed producer in the US and you're one of their salesmen? No pride?

topdog
03-11-2009, 11:58 PM
looks good reech!

rcreech
03-12-2009, 06:34 AM
Rod, why isn't Beck's lettered anywhere on your truck? They are the 6th largest seed producer in the US and you're one of their salesmen? No pride?

I am not a salesman...I am a dealer!

Their product doesn't need a salesman...as it sells itself! :cool2:

Why would I have Becks on a LAWN TRUCK? :dizzy:

Do you guys just try and come up with stupid comments or does it just come naturally?

I have my guess!

Real Green
03-12-2009, 07:49 AM
Do you guys just try and come up with stupid comments or does it just come naturally?

Of course it comes naturally, hence the name "NATTY"lawn. What an internet bully :laugh:

rcreech
03-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Of course it comes naturally, hence the name "NATTY"lawn. What an internet bully :laugh:

:laugh:

I wish the jokers would just stay over there and talk about microbes!

I guess it keeps it interesting...but it does get kinda old!

Guess they have nothing else better to do!

It was stated in the Wall Street Journal (by TG) that less then 5% of lawncare is organic! Not much market share out there! Glad I am not limiting myself like that!

Guess that is why they have so much time to be on lawnsite....no customer base!! :laugh:

bflower
03-12-2009, 08:48 AM
RC- Think u may have 1-upped me! Might be shopping for a wrap. cant wait to get these rigs out on the road! Ordinances may say you cant put a billboard in certain neighborhoods- They cant regulate where your truck is parked during the day. A+++

NattyLawn
03-12-2009, 09:42 AM
:laugh:

I wish the jokers would just stay over there and talk about microbes!

I guess it keeps it interesting...but it does get kinda old!

Guess they have nothing else better to do!

It was stated in the Wall Street Journal (by TG) that less then 5% of lawncare is organic! Not much market share out there! Glad I am not limiting myself like that!

Guess that is why they have so much time to be on lawnsite....no customer base!! :laugh:

Nope, I'm just going to turn into the forum troll....Maybe I'll start a new account and try and think of something as cool as "rcreech" or "realgreen".

Rod, so how's the customer base? You had a thread a few weeks ago about customers dropping like flies and now you're so busy. Did you Dad take time off?

rcreech
03-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Nope, I'm just going to turn into the forum troll....Maybe I'll start a new account and try and think of something as cool as "rcreech" or "realgreen".

Rod, so how's the customer base? You had a thread a few weeks ago about customers dropping like flies and now you're so busy. Did you Dad take time off?

Its too late...as the two coolest name you spoke of are already taken!

Yes I ended up losing a few over 20 accounts but all is good now...just the rush after I sent out my prepay letter.

Good thin I grew about 30+% over the winter and phone rang off the hook during the 60-70 degree weather we had this week.

Life is good again!

Thanks for asking!

ted putnam
03-12-2009, 02:40 PM

I don't know. Nattylawn is a pretty cool. It sounds like you have a problem with your hair though...I'm sorry that's "Nappy". My mistake. I just use my own name because I'm a man and I don't hide behind anything.

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-12-2009, 05:02 PM
I don't know. Nattylawn is a pretty cool. It sounds like you have a problem with your hair though...I'm sorry that's "Nappy". My mistake. I just use my own name because I'm a man and I don't hide behind anything.

And, as an added bonus: your work vehicle doubles as a shaggin' wagon?

rcreech
03-12-2009, 07:04 PM
RC- Think u may have 1-upped me! Might be shopping for a wrap. cant wait to get these rigs out on the road! Ordinances may say you cant put a billboard in certain neighborhoods- They cant regulate where your truck is parked during the day. A+++

No...your truck looks good man!

That is the main reason I wrapped it! I think it will sell bigtime!

I spent about half as much on my wrap as I did on my postcard campaing last year.

Post cards work great...but they only last for a few days. This wrap will last the life of the truck.

Not going to market this year and see how it goes! Hoping the truck will bring in the work! :cool2:

So are you thinking of starting yet?

How are things going for you?

rcreech
05-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Finally have it finished (I think)...and have had several ask so here are the pics.

Unit turned out pretty good and is very effecient. Made MANY changes from what I originally had designed.

Truck carries 275 gallons of water (7 gallon/minute GPI pump) and has a 45 gallon tank with hose reel for perimter pest and tree app etc.

Over 2 ton of fert, and shelving to carry misc items, fert etc.

Also has a 2.5 gallon water station accesable from oustide the truck.

What I like best is handing the blower and backpack sprayers on the wall and out of the way.

At the end of the day...I can treat right at 30 acres/truck fill with this setup.

Pull up the ramp and have my Z loaded in 4-5 minutes.

Let me know what you think!

rcreech
05-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Few more pics.

rcreech
05-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Finally the best part...and ready to head out!

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-11-2009, 12:30 AM
Dude, that's pretty sweet. Now you've just gotta work 70 hour weeks for a decade to pay for it!!!

LawnTamer
05-11-2009, 12:46 AM
That is such a sweet set up. I am wondering, after your reviews of the Z-spray, why even have the PG on there? Isn't that like having an Exmark Lazer on your trailer and still loading up the Murray?

Real Green
05-11-2009, 07:01 AM
Dude, that's pretty sweet. Now you've just gotta work 70 hour weeks for a decade to pay for it!!!

Yea, it's pretty sweet considering not all of us can bum the wifes suburban for the day to treat a cool 90 lawns...

That is such a sweet set up. I am wondering, after your reviews of the Z-spray, why even have the PG on there? Isn't that like having an Exmark Lazer on your trailer and still loading up the Murray?

The logical thought would be that he's just using it as a pictorial reference for space, but you weren't being logical... just a smart ass, like your buddy quoted above this. :)

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Yea, it's pretty sweet considering not all of us can bum the wifes suburban for the day to treat a cool 90 lawns...

Doon't hate me 'cuz I'm beautiful... :cool2:

grassman177
05-11-2009, 08:36 PM
hey rodney!!! very nice the way you have set it up. very thought out. i like the signs on the side of the box too. should have opted for the second tank on the rear of the zspray, comes in handy, more than the tray. unless the tray ishandyf or you?

RigglePLC
05-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Sweet setup Rodney. I love the wrap sign. Bravo! However, why would you stack the fertilizer by hand? Those bags will shift and fall over when you make a hard right turn. Is there some way you can slide a pallet of fert on the truck? No need to load the bags by hand. And with the pallet shrink-wrapped--it is much more stable.

rcreech
05-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Sweet setup Rodney. I love the wrap sign. Bravo! However, why would you stack the fertilizer by hand? Those bags will shift and fall over when you make a hard right turn. Is there some way you can slide a pallet of fert on the truck? No need to load the bags by hand. And with the pallet shrink-wrapped--it is much more stable.

Thanks guys!

Riggle,
I was putting pallets in there and it just took to much room. I can throw a ton of fert on in no time.

I have probably ran 4-5 ton so far and have had no problems with falling over yet.

So far so good anyway.

rcreech
05-11-2009, 10:05 PM

Whoop,

You would be very surprised to know what I have in this. Very little! :)

Pallet Rack = $50
275 Tank = $0
Used Pump= $77
45 gallon tank = $89
Used Pump= $50
2.5 gallon tank = $39
Wall hangers = $1.69 each
Hose Reel = $60
Hose= $340

Do you know how fast I can make all this back just by being effecient?

Probably just a few days!

RABBITMAN11
05-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Very nice Rod! Hey got my wheel simulators on, they look awesome they really set the truck off. Not a bad price either 269.00 for the set delivered.
Almost as nice as your truck LOL

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-11-2009, 10:31 PM
Whoop,

You would be very surprised to know what I have in this. Very little! :)
Do you know how fast I can make all this back just by being efficient?

Probably just a few days!

No doubt! I totally agree. I envy your rig.

rcreech
05-11-2009, 11:02 PM
Very nice Rod! Hey got my wheel simulators on, they look awesome they really set the truck off. Not a bad price either 269.00 for the set delivered.
Almost as nice as your truck LOL

Thanks!

Will have to get me some pics! They do wonders don't they?

How are you getting along on your round?

We keep fighting the freak'n wind man! I have had to stop off and on for the last week! :dizzy:

LawnTamer
05-11-2009, 11:04 PM
The logical thought would be that he's just using it as a pictorial reference for space, but you weren't being logical... just a smart ass, like your buddy quoted above this. :)

Man, who peed in your Cheerios? Have you read his reviews of the Z-spray? I am surprised he still has the PG.

Not trying to hijack your cool picture thread Rodney. Like I said, that is a sweet set-up.

rcreech
05-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Man, who peed in your Cheerios? Have you read his reviews of the Z-spray? I am surprised he still has the PG.

Not trying to hijack your cool picture thread Rodney. Like I said, that is a sweet set-up.

Thank ya!

I still have the PG because I couldn't afford two Z's in 1 season.

I am running two trucks now and have to use the PG. Don't get me wrong as I think the PG is a great ride...just not a Z.

We run the PG on a pickup with rack and I run the Z in the box and do all the larger props over 1 acre.

We have taken both machines to larger props 10-15 acres and use the PG in the tighter areas and cut in.

I can blow through 5 bags of fert to the PG's 3 all day! It is funny when you run them together and can see the performance difference. But as stated they both have their place IMO.

Works good with the PG on 15-50K lawns and I take everything larger with the Z (Z does awesome on smaller lawns...but just feel I am getting max effeciency with this unit on larger areas).

I can promise you that next year at this time if the LC business is still this good I will have two Z Int or maybe even step it up and get a Max.

Young Bros
05-13-2009, 12:21 AM
I have only used a PG Magnum at other companies. This is my second year on my own. So is Z the best way to go? We are thinking if getting a ride on and want to get the right one.

rcreech
05-13-2009, 09:26 AM
I have only used a PG Magnum at other companies. This is my second year on my own. So is Z the best way to go? We are thinking if getting a ride on and want to get the right one.

I can't tell you that the Z is the best fit for your operation, but I would have to say yes.

All ride on's have the positives and negatives, but I have absolutly no complaints with my Z.

turf hokie
07-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Hey Rod,

How is the new set up working? Anything to change? Add? Put in a different spot?

I just came by to steal some of your ideas as I am picking up a used (new to me) 07 truck tomorrow with only 4000 miles.

I dont know whether to be excited or nervous. It'll be great to add a newer truck, but now I have a payment:cry:

Any thoughts. It has a 15' bed, 3' extension over the cab, roll up door, 44" side door.

I am thinking of Rhino lining the inside to protect the floor, walls and frame from fert. Adding a 90 Gallon gravity fed nurse tank. I like your hand wash station.

rcreech
07-01-2009, 08:20 PM
VERY NICE!!!!

Hey Rod,

How is the new set up working? Anything to change? Add? Put in a different spot?

I Love it! I am going to add another box truck either this fall or next spring. As of now....wouldn't change a thing! YOU WILL LOVE IT!

If you have any questions or need anything PM me and I will get you my phone number and we can talk!

I just came by to steal some of your ideas as I am picking up a used (new to me) 07 truck tomorrow with only 4000 miles.

I dont know whether to be excited or nervous. It'll be great to add a newer truck, but now I have a payment:cry:

BE EXCITED! I was the same way as I don't typically like change...but you will be very happy!

Any thoughts. It has a 15' bed, 3' extension over the cab, roll up door, 44" side door.

I am thinking of Rhino lining the inside to protect the floor, walls and frame from fert. Adding a 90 Gallon gravity fed nurse tank. I like your hand wash station.

Very good idea. Have not done mine yet...but Rabbit did and it looks great and is a great concept. I will probably do mine before next spring. Good Luck and don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or need anything.

turf hokie
07-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Gonna send a PM to you now and then go get some sleep. Talk to you soon.

Bryan

DUSTYCEDAR
07-01-2009, 08:48 PM
man now i want a cool ride like yours
that is sweet and loaded up nice

americanlawn
07-01-2009, 08:50 PM
I think I kinda know your situation, and you asked a great question. Z's are awesome. T3000's are too. Both spray about 12 feet.

T's can safely be transported on carrier racks on any kind of truck (3/4 ton or more). Z's require a 'trailer or a large truck with a bed'. If you have enough accounts that are "wide open", I'd say get a Z if you don't mind pulling a trailer or sacrificing space on a tanker truck, but even then -- you will have to "create some sort of platform" to haul a Z-Spray -- even then, you would have to figure out how to load it.

If you have hills/trees -- the T3000 RULES cuz of it's SAFE ability to climb hills. It's boomless nozzle is another nice feature -- no "booms" to catch on obstacles such as street signs, trees, etc.

IMO if one needs a fifty foot reel of hose, why even consider a ride-on in the first place? I never could figure this one out. :confused:

Here is what I know. We service nearly 3000 lawns. On larger properties, we use T3000's. We probably could use another ride-on, cuz many 10,000 s/f lawns could also be treated with a ride-on. So I'm still considering a Z Internediate in addition to our two T3000's. My prob is that none of my employees want to run a Z cuz they would be required to pull a trailer.

We'll see what happens down the road.

rcreech
07-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Turf Hokie,

I was just looking at your truck again...and I think that setup is going to be awesome.

I really like the area over the cab and the side door. I almost got one with the side door and even looked at adding one, but decided against it so it didn't mess up my wrap.

Looking back I would probably do the same thing...but I see great advantages with the side door.

I wish mine had a walk in door, because when I need to get in the back I have to put the ramp down. Not a real big deal...but just wanted to mention that!

Doesn't happen that often...but really like your truck!

Young Bros
07-01-2009, 11:03 PM
Walmart sells a bed liner by the gallon. We apply 3-4 coats on our trucks. It works great on the outside where we step. If you are sliding any bags around, then we glue smooth siding down.

turf hokie
07-02-2009, 06:37 AM
Rod,
This will be my second box truck. I kinda got lucky with both having the side door. And yes you have to adjust your signage to accomodate the door. But that is all.

The first has a walk up side door. It is great, this one is just a side door, but I figure it wont be too different. I will just make sure the bags and water are easily accessible without having to get in side too often.

I was a bit sketchy on the overhang at first but then realized it would be an advantage. It is better for carrying ladders for the Christmas season as I now have an 18 length to work with. I am trying to figure out how much weight it will hold. It would be awesome to but a 90 gallon nurse tank up there for gravity feed and not lose floor space.

I am also looking into changeable graphics so I can swap out the signs for the Christmas season as well.

Hopefully I will pick it up today.

rcreech
07-02-2009, 06:54 AM
Rod,
This will be my second box truck. I kinda got lucky with both having the side door. And yes you have to adjust your signage to accomodate the door. But that is all.

The first has a walk up side door. It is great, this one is just a side door, but I figure it wont be too different. I will just make sure the bags and water are easily accessible without having to get in side too often.

I was a bit sketchy on the overhang at first but then realized it would be an advantage. It is better for carrying ladders for the Christmas season as I now have an 18 length to work with. I am trying to figure out how much weight it will hold. It would be awesome to but a 90 gallon nurse tank up there for gravity feed and not lose floor space.

I am also looking into changeable graphics so I can swap out the signs for the Christmas season as well.

Hopefully I will pick it up today.

I will try and give you a call this evening!

Sounds good!

rcreech
07-02-2009, 08:02 AM
Walmart sells a bed liner by the gallon. We apply 3-4 coats on our trucks. It works great on the outside where we step. If you are sliding any bags around, then we glue smooth siding down.

Young,

I am not familiar with this product.

Does it go on like paint? How easy it is to work with? How does is compare to the pro products like Rhino? Do you know if it sticks to wood floors?

TX,
RC

turf hokie
07-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Rod,

Still waiting with baited breath by the phone:waving:

I looked into doing the liner myself, but felt I might not be able to get the same durability as a professionally installed liner. It looked like it would run about 800-1000 to do it myself after I bought the gun and material. Having never done this before I figured it might cost me more in the long run.

I went to the local rhino installer (1 block from my warehouse) and he could not do it as my truck was too tall to fit into his shop and he cant get the equipment out. But he ball parked me at $1800 so I had an idea of what it will cost. That was for the floor, 24 inches up on the walls the full front wall and the 3' cab over hang floor and 24 inches on the walls.

So step one is more difficult than expected and now I am looking at traveling 30-45 minutes or more to get this done plus 3 days of down time for them to complete the job.

I figure at this rate it will be 2-3 weeks before I get the truck ready to go out and produce and that does not include signage other than the doors with the legally required DOT#, pest stickers, town, company name, GVW. Longer than I expected but when does anything go as planned?:confused:

turf hokie
07-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Here is the first update.

So far I have my pesticide stickers and doors lettered up.

Truck goes in tomorrow to have the interior rhino lined. This is what I did today to prep it out.

First pic is after I took the sliding door and tracks off that went from the cab to the box.

Second pic is the 3/4 inch sheet of plywood I put over the opening. This will be completed rhino lined.

Third pic is the sliding door that I cut down and screwed in to close up and cover up the plywood that was showing thru the old door opening in the cab.

After it finished getting rhino lined (Thursday or Friday) I am taking it to my welder to have a piece of angle iron installed on the cab side of the front wall so that if anything slides forward in the box it wont damage the front wall.

Then I am having him mount a 4 foot welded mesh ramp on as seen here.
http://store.rampconnection.com/product.php?xProd=6324

Will update when I get the truck back in a week or so.

rcreech
07-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Here is the first update.

So far I have my pesticide stickers and doors lettered up.

Truck goes in tomorrow to have the interior rhino lined. This is what I did today to prep it out.

First pic is after I took the sliding door and tracks off that went from the cab to the box.

Second pic is the 3/4 inch sheet of plywood I put over the opening. This will be completed rhino lined.

Third pic is the sliding door that I cut down and screwed in to close up and cover up the plywood that was showing thru the old door opening in the cab.

After it finished getting rhino lined (Thursday or Friday) I am taking it to my welder to have a piece of angle iron installed on the cab side of the front wall so that if anything slides forward in the box it wont damage the front wall.

Then I am having him mount a 4 foot welded mesh ramp on as seen here.
http://store.rampconnection.com/product.php?xProd=6324

Will update when I get the truck back in a week or so.

Are you going to cover up the access from the cab to the back?

I really like that!

Keep us posted on your progress! It is exciting to custom build an effecient ride! Nice talking to you last week and call if you need anything or have any questions!

RC

Puttinggreens
08-03-2009, 09:08 AM
Rodney,

In one of your pics I see the wheel chocks on the floor of your truck.

How are you tying the Z down or are the wheel chocks enough?

We use straps over both drive wheels, but I know there has to be a faster method.

rcreech
08-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Rodney,

In one of your pics I see the wheel chocks on the floor of your truck.

How are you tying the Z down or are the wheel chocks enough?

We use straps over both drive wheels, but I know there has to be a faster method.

I chock the wheels and set the brake and good to go. Only takes a few seconds!

Josh.S
08-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Hey Rod,

If you had a side door for a pallet on the truck, could you put the pallet tank and a pallet of fert side by side? Is the truck wide enough?

Josh

rcreech
08-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Hey Rod,

If you had a side door for a pallet on the truck, could you put the pallet tank and a pallet of fert side by side? Is the truck wide enough?

Josh

It is...but here is the problem....

If you put the tank on one side and the pallet on the other you would need to keep your weight distributed.
It you have a tank full of water and use ALL your bags of fert your truck WILL lean and not drive the best.

That is the ONLY reason that I put the tank exactly in the middle of the truck and put fert on both sides. You will want to keep your load equalized.

If it were me...I would put two pallets in the front of the truck (through the side door) and have the tank sitting behind them. Then you could walk around the tank easily and still have shelving/storage over the fert.

Ideally I think it would be nice to have custom tanks run along both sides of the truck that hold 150 gallon each and park the machine between them...but you would probably be looking at some serious cash for the custom tanks. You could get something like 8ft long x 2-3 ft tall and 1 ft wide.