PDA

View Full Version : Trugreen job

Jason B.
02-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Don't jump on me for this, but I'm suppose to start with Trugreen Tuesday and after a little research(that I should have done before applying) I am having second thoughts on even showing up for the first day. I have been laid off for over a month and kinda jumped on this before I thought about it. I'm an honest guy, not one to take advantage of people or one to work my life away for some money hungry company that doesn't care about it's employees or customers. I don't know if I could live with myself knowing I cheated someone. I honestly have to say I have never felt this way about any job I have ever had. I wasn't this worried when I got laid off. I'm still looking for another job, just like I never got this one.
What should I do?

newz7151
02-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Call em and let em know you've had second thoughts about working for them after reading reviews of the company and their unethical application methods and that you would rather not be a party to anything like that.

azjojo99
02-21-2009, 09:12 PM
If you need the $ take the job, jobs are hard to find right now.

Jason Rose
02-21-2009, 09:18 PM
IMO, the tech (you as the guy doing the applications) is the majority of the service. There's too many techs out there that just don't care. They know they have a quota to meet every day and will do what it takes to get their numbers, even if that means 'ghosting' or applying on half of a property. Conversly they DO have good techs out there, and unless CL is telling them otherwise they are going to do people right and do the job they are supposed to do. From the sounds of your first post you want to succede and don't want to cheat people.

There's a LOT of bad rap towards Chemlawn, but I think if you go in and want to do a good job it will take you far. At the very least hang out and soak up all the knowledge about chemicals and anything on the applicators end that you can learn, and use that elsewhere in the future. Many times former Chemlawn techs go on to run their own businesses or work for fertilizer companies as salesmen.

Just my 2 cents.

a plus bob
02-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Take it and do a good job so you dont loose sleep at night and keep looking for a way out of there.Just dont put it on your resume if go to another lawn care company!

DLAWNS
02-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Take the job and do the best you can and keep looking for work elsewhere if you are not happy there. Just my thoughts.

mngrassguy
02-22-2009, 01:43 AM
Go for it. It's a great place to "learn the ropes" so to speak and a great place to learn what NOT to do. Is it a tech job or sales? Use the training, get licensed and soak up as much as you can.

Rayholio
02-22-2009, 02:11 AM
The MAIN problem with chem lawn is assembly line trained techs, who are just churning a pay check.. If you're someone who actually cares about the job, rather than JUST the check, you'll do great, and chem-lawn will benefit from your devotion.... I say go for it!

Ric
02-22-2009, 07:29 AM
If you need the $ take the job, jobs are hard to find right now.

Jason B.

Look on the bright side. First It is a JOB and a pay check in a very bad time.

Second While TG/CL has a bad reputation in the Industry, They are an experienced Marketing company, where you may not learn Lawn Care. But you can learn marketing and sales. This training can or is going to be very valuable to you in any other job career you decide to pursue later on.

When you really think about it, Life is about selling. Whether it be selling yourself to a new job or just trying to get along with the wife. We are constantly having to sell our Ideas or services. What better place to either learn or hone those skills than a powerful market company like TG/CL.

Jason B.
02-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Go for it. It's a great place to "learn the ropes" so to speak and a great place to learn what NOT to do. Is it a tech job or sales? Use the training, get licensed and soak up as much as you can.

Tech job. I have done lawn care work before and know what it takes to do a good job. I didn't really want to get back into lawn care but as you all know it's a bad time to turn down a job. I guess I got burn out on it at the last place I worked. Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Lawnmasters
02-22-2009, 09:12 AM
I am in a rural area where most people don't even know what lawn spraying is. So each year when I advertise for an additional technician I am always hoping I can find someone who has worked for another Lawn Care Company and has gotten certified and learned a few things. I would be happy to hire someone who has worked for CL, assuming they didn't butcher some Nuns or anything. I can always re-train what needs changing.

Take the job, do the best you can and learn. The experience will help you in the future no matter what you do.

Grandview
02-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Take the job and learn as much as you can. Do the job to the best of your ability. You will probably learn a lot that you can use later.

turf&tree
02-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Jason, we just hired a guy from TG he had been fired for not reaching their rediculous quotas. We look for techs that are quality oriented. Lots of high dollar cust in our area, can't afford slop. In our area the season has not started yet, but people are looking for help. In fact I need one more tech. Keep your head up and keep looking!! I guarantee you will regret it. I worked for them years ago and hated it.

CHiP's
03-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Hey Jason B, I have worked for tgcl in the past and they are all about the numbers and not customer satifaction. It is a job and take it, for now, but keep your eyes open for other possibilites. Never stop looking until you find a job you truelly enjoy. Who nows maybe tgcl will be your fit. If it is great, if not don't stop looking for other possibilities.

RigglePLC
03-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Be ready to be pressured to produce. Quota is probably about $1000 in production per day. About 20 lawns per day. 5 days or sometimes 6 days per week. We worked 55 hours per week when I was there. And we did not get overtime. Training is not the best. Turnover is high. Salesmen often undermeasured lawns. Managers are often young and inexperienced--they came up from the ranks. At one time we had so many weeds and crabgrass--we were 3 weeks behind handling service call complaints. Try to break into management--but you will still be pressured to make your guys produce.

JWTurfguy
03-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Is it that hard in your area to find a spot with a more reputable outfit, if TGCL isn't for you? If so, take the job, stick to your core principles, and see what happens (for now).
Jobs are hard to find, but good, honest help in this industry is also very hard to find, so don't feel like you're stuck if you decide after a while that they aren't for you.

What area are you located in?

scweedman
03-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Take the job if you need the money.Be yourself and do the best job you can.
Things always have away of working out. Let us know how things go.
On the bright side we now have a man on the inside of TGCL.

kootoomootoo
03-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Trugreen is more reputable and ethical than half the guys on here.
Two can play that game.

scweedman
03-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Not the ones i know

a plus bob
03-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Trugreen is more reputable and ethical than half the guys on here.
Two can play that game.

??????????somebodys been sniffing glue!!

Smallaxe
03-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Take the job if you need the money.Be yourself and do the best job you can.
Things always have away of working out. Let us know how things go.
On the bright side we now have a man on the inside of TGCL.

I agree.

Imagine if you got a gov't job!!?!!?? Those turkeys could use someone with integrity. Especially for the suckers they are supposed to help.

We're from the gov't and we're here to help. :laugh:

Working for TGCL doesn't have to diminish you as a person.

americanlawn
03-05-2009, 09:06 PM
I agree -- take the job if you don't have anything else better. 4 things:

1) Not all branches are the same. Some are good.

2) You will never be rich working for them.

3) Plan on working long hours with little/family social life.

4) Plan on working most Saturdays until they lay you off.

Not saying this is all bad, but...........too often we see "two guys in a truck". That means they're always training somebody new. (read between the lines)

Tony Clifton
03-06-2009, 04:20 PM
I would look more at the branch that you are working for than the company as a whole.
I know there are some incredible branches out there and some crumby ones. Is it a franchise with a local owner or is it one of the corporate branches?
I would try it out, soak up everything you can, if you actually care, and it is a good branch you could probably easily rise up in the ranks.

Precedence
03-06-2009, 10:05 PM
I worked for Greenlawn, which is the Canadian version of the company, as a tech and as a manager. I say get whatever level of licensing and experience you want then get out as fast as you can. Even if you decide not to ghost lawns and do a good job you'll probably resent the guys that are ghosting and getting paid more than you and getting off at 2pm. In Canada they pay on commission so good hard work is not rewarded. Also since it's a huge corporation it's almost impossible for anyone to be fired so the ghosters are there all year even though everyone knows they are f@#%ing the dog.

Just my 2 cents.

lifetree
03-06-2009, 10:52 PM
... At the very least hang out and soak up all the knowledge about chemicals and anything on the applicators end that you can learn, and use that elsewhere in the future. Many times former Chemlawn techs go on to run their own businesses or work for fertilizer companies as salesmen. ...

Wouldn't that in itself be unethical if he was planning on starting the job just to gain knowledge and then leave ??

ted putnam
03-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Wouldn't that in itself be unethical if he was planning on starting the job just to gain knowledge and then leave ??

Only if he steals customers on the way out or immediately after separation. Otherwise, he's just an entreprenuer trying to better himself. JMO

turn3
03-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Just saw a Trugreen guy spraying in a down pour.

Madddog6993
03-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Take the Job plenty of people got there start at large companies like Chemlawn, Trugreen, Old fox,Takahoe turf etc.. I worked for chemlawn in 1986 when they cared about service. Do not be afraid to learn various jobs I started doing T & S ferts went to resi lawns, commercial lawns, resi sales then commercial sales even if you decide not to start your own company if you know how to due the three most important things (sell,produce,collect) you will always be employed in this industry. IMHO

turf&tree
03-14-2009, 04:39 PM
I have a customer I stole from trugreen this year and they are giving her all kinds of grief. This poor woman is about to sue them for harassment. I just heard from another guy today that said they were at his house at dinner time knocking on his door trying to solicit him. I am sorry folks, but that is not how I do business. If you want to work for them fine, but be prepared to be turned into an ___ hole like they are. How can you app a lawn with lime without knowing at least the PH ? We pride ourselves on professionalism, and have increased our business 4x this year because of it.
Jim

Please_Be_Green
03-14-2009, 06:21 PM

There is nothing unethical on learning a trade/skill and applying it elsewhere. It's called business and if the employer is good at what they do they will retain the talent... If not, take what you learn and apply it to put more in your own pocket...

I know in my field of work, if it weren't for ORACLE corporation hiring me in 2000, I wouldn't have the skill set that they taught me and wouldn't be being paid the money that I'm currently making at a new employer.

turf&tree
03-14-2009, 07:39 PM
I have not seen any posts from the originator lately, so he has either taken the job or turned them down. We are probably beating a dead horse on that note. But god do I love bashing TruGreen.
Jim

turn3
03-14-2009, 08:34 PM
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/trugreen.html

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/02/nj_trugreen.html

turf&tree
03-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Hey Turn 3, thanks for the ammo. I will forward the links to my customer. You just made my day!!!
Jim

turn3
03-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Hey Turn 3, thanks for the ammo. I will forward the links to my customer. You just made my day!!!
Jim

Remember to check all the links under the pic of the guy with a magnifying glass.

mngrassguy
03-15-2009, 12:35 AM
I got 2 laughs from that first link. One was with the TG ad under the heading. Second was withe the letter from Larry....

"Larry of Des Moines writes (5/19/03):
I am the owner of American Lawn Care. AS LONG AS TRUGREEN IS IN BUSINESS, WE WILL HAVE A JOB. TruGreen gets us more customers than our yellow page ad. Keep up what your'e doing TruGreen, we appreciate it! Thanks so much, Larry Ginger, graduate horticulturist, American Lawn Care."

I hope you don't mind me reprinting this Larry

turf&tree
03-15-2009, 11:30 AM
I may even tell my customer to get ahold of the local news channel's call for action dept.
They do a terrific job of slamming people on the air.
Jim

Groundspro
03-15-2009, 12:45 PM
I worked for Chemlawn before TG during and after their take-over. Like any big company, they will have their detractors, naysayers, and advocates. I'm neither. I needed a job and they gave me one that actually lead me to a very satisfying career. Like any industry, the Green Industry has the Good, Bad, and The Ugly. I'm now an Operation Manager for a lawn care company that is very local but well established. The large companies and franchiser's of the world will always provide, by omission,mistakes, or perceived beauracacies, the smaller fish with enough customers to make a good living. This is the way our system works. So keep up the good work TG, BF, LD, and USL because we little fish are here to clean up your mess and keep the industry going.

americanlawn
03-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Summer of '03, TruGreen's branch manager drove to our place, walked into our warehouse (where I was) and he was furious. He was mad cuz two of his best guys had recently quit & went to work for us. He asked me to terminate their employment. I said no. He then told me he would sue us cuz of non-compete clause (never happened). Then he peeled his pickup tires in our driveway and left. Following year....he was transfered to Peoria, IL.

Since then, I totally respect our TruGreen friends. They take their time to do fine work. Still the same today. My 2 cents worth.

I got 2 laughs from that first link. One was with the TG ad under the heading. Second was withe the letter from Larry....

"Larry of Des Moines writes (5/19/03):
I am the owner of American Lawn Care. AS LONG AS TRUGREEN IS IN BUSINESS, WE WILL HAVE A JOB. TruGreen gets us more customers than our yellow page ad. Keep up what your'e doing TruGreen, we appreciate it! Thanks so much, Larry Ginger, graduate horticulturist, American Lawn Care."

I hope you don't mind me reprinting this Larry

Madddog6993
03-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Since then, I totally respect our TruGreen friends. They take their time to do fine work. Still the same today. My 2 cents worth.[/QUOTE]

Larry I could not agree with you more I often fine myself pondering on how trugreen sets the standard in the lawn care industry for us all to emulate.(ha)