PDA

View Full Version : My Site.. FLASH

EliteScapes
02-21-2009, 09:38 PM
WWW.ELITESCAPESNJ.COM

Cable Connection is a must as the site is a full flash site with over 500 pictures..

Jason Rose
02-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Absolutely amazing work!

The website is beautiful. And yes it's HUGE. My computer didn't work well with it honestly, and I have a cable connection. I think it's probably more of a problem on my end.

EliteScapes
02-21-2009, 11:33 PM
Thank you very much!!! It was a three month project between myself and the designer.

Try the site once more now that it should be saved on your computer.

cutcutcut
02-22-2009, 12:42 AM
wow... thats really nice.

EliteScapes
02-22-2009, 12:51 AM
Thanks!!!!

Frue
02-22-2009, 07:51 AM
I have to say you have a nice site. I am not a big fan of flash. Its nice the first time but after that it is annoying. You have like 10 errors in your code but it looks clean. i have dsl and I am on a wireless connection it loaded ok. That is your biggest issue you need cable to really appreciate what you did there.

Frue
02-22-2009, 07:52 AM
wow... thats really nice.

Not to highjack this post but your site is excellent! Your code is perfect and it is very clean.

EliteScapes
02-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks!!

What do you mean by 10 errors in the CODE?!?

Kiril
02-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Where is the no flash site option?

EliteScapes
02-22-2009, 10:54 AM
It's only a flash site for now..

Kiril
02-22-2009, 11:07 AM
It's only a flash site for now..

I expect you will provide a no flash option then? Keep a close eye on your web stats.

The HTML code is not valid (no reason for this given the simplicity of it), and falls way short of meeting accessibility standards.

EliteScapes
02-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Wow a little harsh!!

Site seems fine to me, do you have a site?

I PM'd you for more info..

Thanks.

Kiril
02-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Wow a little harsh!!

Sorry man, it is what it is.

1) Code is not valid. Please validate!!

HTML: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

2) Limited or no document structure/outline

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_5.html

3) Limited or no accessibility compliance

WCAG/Sec508: http://www.cynthiasays.com/fulloptions.asp

EliteScapes
02-22-2009, 11:28 AM
As I said I don't see a any problems with the site when viewing it, however if your seeing something i'm not I would love for you to tell me what I can do to fix the problem.....

Otherwise it seems as if it's solely your opinion, or your computer can't view the site?

cutcutcut
02-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Do full flash sites get found well on google? are you doing Pay per click? I assume that site was $$$ so im just wondering how your using the site to get you business.

EliteScapes
02-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks I will go back to my designer with this!!

Yes you're correct with flash sites and google however this is only necessary if you're trying to gain customers across the nation!!

I know a little trick to appear number 1 on google maps as I my company and site does, which works just fine..

please go into google.

Type in: Brick Pavers Freehold NJ.

I should come up number one under the google map locator.

cutcutcut
02-22-2009, 11:43 AM
whats the trick? im registering to that and it would be nice to be on top

ritchiem
02-22-2009, 11:44 AM
I don't think anyone can say that the site isn't visually gorgeous! And it makes a great online portfolio for your company. Give your designer a pat on the back for making a great piece of marketing material for you there.

There are some drawback to having a 100% flash site. Mainly they are very hard to get picked up by the search engines due to lack of content (readable content). So if you are using your website to attract new clients rather then sending existing ones to it, you'll fall short.

Full flash sites should be backed with a full HTML site to provide content to search engines.

Now if this part of a larger marketing campaign such as sending out brochures, flyers, business cards with your website plastered all over them...then at least you are getting people to the site. I just don't think that you'll be satisfied with the organic traffic.

Kiril
02-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Do full flash sites get found well on google? are you doing Pay per click? I assume that site was $$$ so im just wondering how your using the site to get you business.

You tell me.

http://www.smart-it-consulting.com/internet/google/googlebot-spoofer/

Test your website and see what the bots see. With respect to the OP, it sees nothing at all.

EliteScapes
02-22-2009, 11:52 AM
No and your right, I had the FLASH site designed with 100% understanding that it's not search engine friendly.

However, I utilize the site for my potential clients to view and see what my company is all about and a professionall way to view my portfolio of work.

As you said- flyers, post cards etc etc I have the site plastered all over them and trust me people view the site constantly and I get tons of positive feed back.

Lastly, if you have a correct google marketing campaign and utilize other directories such as super pages and post your site on these engines your site will come up... As in my last post I come up number one for the maps sections in my town and surrounding towns. For fee.. Google paid ads are what you see on the side, many people do not even look here. They usually look under the new google maps section which gives you services located closest to your designated area. We call it the golden triangle, the top left area of a search engine page is what your eyes initially go to! If you're in this area you're doing well!!

Kiril
02-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Full flash sites should be backed with a full HTML site to provide content to search engines.

Along with an alternative for people who either don't want to run flash scripts or just have a slow connection or computer.

cutcutcut
02-22-2009, 11:54 AM
You tell me.

http://www.smart-it-consulting.com/internet/google/googlebot-spoofer/

Test your website and see what the bots see. With respect to the OP, it sees nothing at all.

I tested mine but dont really know what im looking at. is it good or bad

EliteScapes
02-22-2009, 11:57 AM
CUT..

No worries.. We're not website designers and not trying to act like one!

I will show you how to appear on google, just PM me.

Kiril
02-22-2009, 11:57 AM
However, I utilize the site for my potential clients to view and see what my company is all about and a professionall way to view my portfolio of work.

It is a fine example of a portfolio site, I don't think anyone will argue otherwise, but there should be an alternative to it. This is why I suggested you watch your web stats closely, so you can see if people are actually viewing the site or bailing because it is flash, or download times are too long, or their computer is too slow, or they hate the music and can't figure out how to turn it off, etc.......

EliteScapes
02-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Kiril

So far soo good, no complaints from clients saying they can't view the site.

I will check into your comments tho for sure.

Thanks for the help.

Kiril
02-22-2009, 12:00 PM
I tested mine but dont really know what im looking at. is it good or bad

Dude, your site is fine, don't worry about it, unless you want to make your relative source links absolute. Go and register your site with the search engines and let the crawlers do the rest.

yard_smart
02-22-2009, 12:10 PM
I like the site it rocks

I still like basic HTML and good ole SEO hard work

http://www.google.com/search?q=roof+cleaning+in+madison+indiana&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

cutcutcut
02-22-2009, 12:14 PM
I like the site it rocks

I still like basic HTML and good ole SEO hard work

http://www.google.com/search?q=roof+cleaning+in+madison+indiana&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

funny lawnsite comes up b4 you

yard_smart
02-22-2009, 07:53 PM
funny lawnsite comes up b4 you

I know its crazy aint it . . .i aint mad thought that one less spot for my comp.

Team-Green L&L
03-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Very nice movie...so when are you going to design the site? A movie is great and interactive, but has NO CONTENT. Too bad that Google doesn't have eyes and interpretation skills or that flash would be the best...

The site is great, but you definitely need an HTML (low bandwidth) counterpart for search unless you have gobs of money to promote through third-party venues.

Team-Green L&L
03-02-2009, 09:03 AM

Flash DOES NOT get indexed at all internally. There is NO CONTENT in flash, it is just a movie (an interactive movie) but still a movie.

Team-Green L&L
03-02-2009, 09:06 AM
I know its crazy aint it . . .i aint mad thought that one less spot for my comp.

You certainly don't want your external links to outrank your internal SEO for your own search terms. Get some external content out there with direct hard links back to your site.

Kiril
03-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Flash DOES NOT get indexed at all internally. There is NO CONTENT in flash, it is just a movie (an interactive movie) but still a movie.

Not entirely sure about that. While I haven't personally seen evidence the bots can crawl flash code, Google does claim to do it.

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/06/improved-flash-indexing.html

Team-Green L&L
03-04-2009, 02:59 AM
Not entirely sure about that. While I haven't personally seen evidence the bots can crawl flash code, Google does claim to do it.

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/06/improved-flash-indexing.html

I read about the patent they have on that, but I have yet to see any results or even hear about SEO techniques incorporating into flash. I believe what Google claims, but I don't like to "toy around" with rankings too often, so I have not tested their claims.

LushGreenLawn
03-15-2009, 08:47 AM
I have some constructive criticism. I'm not trying to bash, I'm sure you spent alot of money on this but:

I clicked off of it after about 30 seconds. The pictures doing that fast switch, with that double transition was really distracting, and made me choose not to explore the site. From a customer prospective, it could be annoying. Mabye slow the transition of the pictures, and make the transition a little more simple. Sometimes simple really is the answer.

Again, I'm not trying to bash or anything, just give another prospective.

SouthernLandscapeMgtAB
04-10-2009, 12:20 AM
Great content and very visually appealing.

How do you capture the images of your work? Does each crew have a digital camera or do you handle the photography yourself?

Nice site!

Inspira
04-11-2009, 03:36 PM
As a web designer, I hate flash. I won't build a flash site, mainly because I'm not great at it, and it takes me too long, and my clients don't want to pay Flash prices. As a web surfer, I hate flash. A few months back when my lease was up, I had to deal with all the major car websites being flash.

That said, it's still a nice looking site. I would certainly clean up some of those validation errors. Minor ones, like missing 'alt' tags (I'm sure many of my older sites are guilty of that too) are less important, but you seem to have a few bigges, you're even apparently missing a doctype.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the SEO thing - Google crawls flash, and Google is king right now. As long as you're listed in the directories - Google Maps, Yahoo, Yellow Pages, etc, I'm sure you'll be fine. Anyhow, if you paid the going rate for a site like this, in Jersey no less, you're probably doing okay anyway...lol

My only criticism is to clean up the grammar and flow of the text - it's terrible. As a designer, I don't write the copy for my clients, but I also don't just copy and paste what they send/fax me into the code. I looked at a few pages, and those kinds of mistakes speak much louder than a fancy slideshow or validated code ever will. If necessary, spend a little for a pro to write up everything.

Again though, a nice site. You likely paid a lot for it, may as well make sure it's 100%.