PDA

View Full Version : New to the Business: Questions

j1v3turk3y
02-22-2009, 12:38 AM
First:

My equipment.
52" Hustler Super Z w/ 23HP Kawa (1300 Hrs)
Echo Trimmers & Edger
Cheap Backup Poulan Pro Trimmer.
Stihl Blowers (Hand & Back)
5 x 10 x 3 Utility Trailer w/ Gate
2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab v8 4x4

I'm still in the market for a nice walk behind and a backup Z.

I live in a rural area at the center (5 miles) of 3 small towns and I am looking to pick up some clients in this area as most of the other businesses in town focus on the larger city to the south of us. I have already had many people express interest face to face. Other than face to face, flyers and ad space in the papers; What methods of advertising get you the most response?

What is your preferred method of billing?? (Ex: by the hour, by the acre, price varies per job, etc)

What is your preferred brand of equipment?

What can I expect during my first season in business?

Anyhow, thanks in advance guys and I look forward to future discussions here at the forum.

J

LouisianaLawnboy
02-22-2009, 09:36 AM
If you plan on getting into the city. Many of them will have gates, so you will probably need a walk behind. You need one at about 32" deck.

You have good equipment to start with.

I don't really have a preferred brand. It's more of what kind of dealer support you have. I have a Gravely dealer not far from my house. I have a Gravely that I love. Look at my signature to see what I have.

As for as billing. You need to be able to look at yard and see how much time it will take you to do it. Then figure out how much you need to charge to make a PROFIT.

burge19
02-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Yeah i think your good with your equipment... not sure how old you are but i started a year ago and i was 18... my first year took a lot of hard work becaue it seemed like people would always stereotype me becaue i was young and didnt think i could do it but now im starting to get my name out there.... thats the key doing good work and getting your name out there