PDA

View Full Version : spring clean up price

EL Lawn care
02-22-2009, 10:22 AM
I have a spring clean job that I am going to give anestimate on.
8 yards of mulch - $50/yard to deliver and spread = $400. This price is set.

What 'm having a problem with is the part below. I will be working by myself...
clean out all flower beds of leaves, not very many weeds though.
and retrench perimeter of all the flower beds with a bed trencher. there is about 400 linear ft of beds

I do not have to haul anything away, it will be bag and the city will pick up.
any suggestions on price?

2brothersyardcare
02-22-2009, 11:20 AM
100 bucks but i need a pic.

EL Lawn care
02-22-2009, 11:23 AM
$100 to clean flowerbeds and retrench? I think its going to take 6 hours. My inital thought was $300. I didnt take any pics...I should have though.

StBalor
02-22-2009, 04:55 PM
I charge 100.00 a yrd to clean flowerbeds and apply much. Some will charge more, some less. But this will give you an idea and your price is close to what i would charge.

EL Lawn care
02-22-2009, 05:26 PM
thanks, I told them $700 and I got the job

burge19
02-22-2009, 07:41 PM
sounds better.... i charge about 80 dollars to spread a yard and then another 35 per man to clean out the beds

lwelve
03-01-2009, 07:48 AM
We do mulch for $85.00 - $120.00 per yard (Mulch included) , dyed mulch is higher price.
Clean ups are billed at actual time at our labor rate per man hour.( I include time for haul away and disposal in our billing)
Don`t cut yourself short.

T&J Landscaping
03-01-2009, 07:50 AM
$100 to clean flowerbeds and retrench? I think its going to take 6 hours. My inital thought was $300. I didnt take any pics...I should have though.

Dang 6hrs to clean flower beds, u are in for a long season , :walking:

EL Lawn care
03-01-2009, 08:23 AM
I dont know exactly what you are implying T and J. without seeing pictures you are assuming things. The job is done and, yes the fact that it did take roughly six hrs to clean out is a fact. The beds were completely overrun with leaves and some weeds. By the time I blew all of the leaves out from underneath the 150 or so azaleas and then sucking them up with my mower. 6hrs. it actually took 12 yards of mulch when it was all said and done because I had cleaned out so much debris

Fife Lawn&Lane
03-01-2009, 10:28 AM
So the question that needs to be answered is, did you make money on your $700 bid? If yes then you did good, if not then you know better by your own experience for next time.

EL Lawn care
03-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Actually, Before I started I told the customer it would be 8 yards of mulch but due to the amount of clean up needed it may be more and if more is needed I would charge according. They agreed, knowing that the services provided last year by someone else were not very good and that company took them for a ride. I always want to be up front with my customers and tell them the truth. If I am uncertain about something then I make that clear. Some guys on here may think this is unprofessional but I have found customers appreciate my honesty. I never would want to charge someone for 4 yards of mulch and only use 1 yard. Then taking to rest of the mulch to somewhere else.
So to make a long story short 8 yards turned out to be 12yards and and the bill came to $900. so yes I did make money, alittle more then expected. But they are happy and want me to come back and do the back yard now. The previous company charged them twice what I did and it the outcome wasnt as nice. I cant imagine charging that price for basically less than a day and half of work with almost no material cost. Mulch cost was $240.

Something to be said about being a one man crew...no overhead!

LB1234
03-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Something to be said about being a one man crew...no overhead!

Another classic statement. Anyone care to guess how long this business is going to last?

EL Lawn care
03-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Another classic statement. Anyone care to guess how long this business is going to last?

Another classic A-hole, just looking to bash people on this site. You must be god or something...
When I mean no overhead I mean low overhead. No one knows what you are able to do except for yourself. I dont need 5 crews, 10 trucks, blah blah blah. I will be in business for as long as I choose to be in business and I have done quite well. I have had other businesses in the past 10 years and all of them have been successful. In this business or any business, I believe good hard work, honesty, accountability are key to success.

Don't under estimate peoples willingness to pay for honesty. It's people like you that make people weary

LB1234
03-01-2009, 01:31 PM
When I mean no overhead I mean low overhead.

HUGE difference b/t NO and LOW.

JohnnyCuts
03-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Don't sweat it EL Lawn, LB's from Jersey, he's supposed to act like this. Nice job on the mulching.

LB1234
03-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Don't sweat it EL Lawn, LB's from Jersey, he's supposed to act like this. Nice job on the mulching.

Now that's worth a chuckle.

touhey33
03-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Did you trench the beds by hand or use a bed edger?

FYS777
03-03-2009, 08:08 PM
how many hours did you end up working on that job, over all.

addictedtolandscaping
03-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Around here we get 60 per cy of mulch installed with edging. I use a brown bed edger, thing will chew up some serious area. All in all sounds like you made out well, and the best part, the qulity of the work your did spoke for itself and got you more. A satisfied customer is the best advertising money can buy.

bluridge
03-04-2009, 06:42 PM
El Lawn,

I am curious, when you say 8 yards of mulch, how much mulch is that? Are you referring to 8 yards by 1 yards and 3" thick mulch? Just wonderign what you mean etc. And yeah, I have seen some of my neighbors complain about work that looked good but turns out to be poor job a couple weeks later.

Around here I saw my neighbor pay $500 to mulch all of her 5 trees and along the front of her house and side and back. I think I saw three Mexicans do the job or maybe it was 4 and they did it in 3 hours or so. This also include spraying pestides to kill the weeks etc.

Anyway...I was just wondering what you mean by 8 yards of mulch.

Thanks...

RickR1818
03-04-2009, 06:59 PM
if you dont know what 8 yards of mulch is you better utilize the search function before you reply.

GreenAcresLC
03-04-2009, 10:11 PM
A yard of mulch is a yard of mulch, period. How thick you spread it determines how long it can be stretched. If you pile 8 yards 3 feet deep, it won't cover as much area as if you spread 8 yards 3 inches deep.