PDA

View Full Version : Good customer service story

DanaMac
02-22-2009, 12:36 PM
This isn't sprinkler related (goodness no, we'd never do that) but I have a good service story.

Last night before going to a hockey game, we stopped at Red Robin for dinner and a drink. Lots of people waiting for a table, so we bellied up to the bar. The bartender was probably the best I've ever met. Fast, efficient, friendly, never complained, etc.

He was chatting up every single person at the bar. Got me in a conversation about the Red Sox because of my hat. Talked with others about the hockey game that were wearing CC or Minn. gear.

Tap for the beer I wanted ran dry, so he gave be the 3/4 beer already pulled (about 16-18 oz of a 22 oz glass) for free, and gave me another full beer fresh from the new keg. He politely asked someone else to change out the keg. and when they didn't get to it he asked politely again. Didn't get mad. Offered me a different kind on the house.

He was never wasting a moment. If he walked down to the far end of the bar, he always had something in hand. He was pouring 3-4 drinks at a time. Thanking the servers for bringing out the food to us. Two other workers were arguing and he quietly told them to relax and not do this in front of the customers. He was basically doing all the little things that we don't see all the time.

I was really impressed. We hear of all the slacker stories, so I wanted to tell a good service story for a change. Thanks Jeff!!

Mike Leary
02-22-2009, 12:39 PM
A "natural". :clapping:

DanaMac
02-22-2009, 12:42 PM

Very much. he was making the job fun instead of dreading it and hating it. very busy Saturday night, and if he was stressed he didn't show it.

Kiril
02-22-2009, 12:44 PM

piker :drinkup:

hoskm01
02-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Very much. he was making the job fun instead of dreading it and hating it. very busy Saturday night, and if he was stressed he didn't show it.
Good service does usually make a beer taste better.

Offer him a job.

Kiril
02-22-2009, 12:54 PM
The beer always tastes better when it is free. :clapping:

Mike Leary
02-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Offer him a job.

My thoughts, exactly.

Sprinkus
02-22-2009, 05:07 PM
I've taken to sitting at the bar, for dinner and drinks, in many restaurants for exactly this reason. Better service and the occasional free drink is always a winner.

Wet_Boots
02-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Eating at the bar in a restaurant with a good wine list can get you some nice dividends, like when the rubes send back a perfectly good bottle, which winds up at the bar.

Mike Leary
02-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Eating at the bar in a restaurant with a good wine list can get you some nice dividends, like when the rubes send back a perfectly good bottle, which winds up at the bar.

And Arrow drinks it.

DanaMac
02-22-2009, 05:34 PM

I've had bartenders bring out free appetizers as well. Not ones that were ordered wrong, but to appease those that are spending money on good drinks. Service is usually a lot quicker at the bar.

Waterit
02-22-2009, 07:39 PM
I prefer eating at the bar and listening to all the drunk conversations around me for entertainment. Plus drunks aren't quite as likely to notice bad table manners:laugh:

greenmonster304
02-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Thats good to hear.

On a related note, is it normal in your respective areas of the country for the bartenders to give "buy backs". Example, you buy a few rounds for your group and tip him a few bucks and then the he "picks up" the next round. This i common practice in the local watering holes here but I have been to other areas and this doesn't seem to be the case.

rlpsystems
02-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Bartender buys round? I would think that would defeat the purpose of a bar "tender".

greenmonster304
02-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Its a way for them to get bigger tips.

rlpsystems
02-22-2009, 10:14 PM
The more you drink the easier it is to share the wealth.:drinkup:

hoskm01
02-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Its a way for them to get bigger tips.
Doesnt happen too often here. Wish it did.

DanaMac
02-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Seen bartenders comp one or two drinks for a round, but not the whole round.

Stuttering Stan
02-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Good story Dana. We see so many people in the service industry that hate their jobs- from waitress, Wal-Mart cashier, salespeople. It's nice to see the bartenders extra effort. Did you tell the manager?

mitchgo
02-22-2009, 10:35 PM
unless they are extremely rude to begin with i always give the benefit of the doubt and be very courteous back

my gf and I with several other friends just got back from happy hour at a mexican restaurant. The bartender gave us a couple free drinks because we were havin fun with him ( never met him before)

DanaMac
02-23-2009, 12:35 AM
Did you tell the manager?

No, it was too busy and we were off to the hockey game. But I will let them know either by a letter or email corporate.

Tom Tom
02-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Yup. Service is wheres it at. The most underestimated part of it all is that its usually free, or at the most, very low cost to the business. Most business's just don't get it though.

On a side note, miss a day in the irrigation section on lawnsite and there's a gazillion new posts.

DanaMac
02-23-2009, 10:01 AM
On a side note, miss a day in the irrigation section on lawnsite and there's a gazillion new posts.

Shows who is committed :)

Oh wait, maybe i should BE committed.....

Tom Tom
02-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Shows who is committed :)

Oh wait, maybe i should BE committed.....

nah, me thinks we are ready for the season to begin.

DanaMac
02-23-2009, 10:50 AM
nah, me thinks we are ready for the season to begin.

I'm going to start one up today. I'm kind of giddy.

hoskm01
02-23-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm going to start one up today. I'm kind of giddy.
Ballsy. Couple more weeks for us yet.

DanaMac
02-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Ballsy. Couple more weeks for us yet.

She and I talked about it. We're going to heavily wrap everything above ground, and she'll pay me to shut it down when it gets cold again. She'd rather pay me to open/close a few times, than to pay for plant replacement. Older lady that can't drag a hose all over.

Tom Tom
02-23-2009, 10:56 AM
She and I talked about it. We're going to heavily wrap everything above ground, and she'll pay me to shut it down when it gets cold again. She'd rather pay me to open/close a few times, than to pay for plant replacement. Older lady that can't drag a hose all over.

Gonna hook-up a pigtail?

DanaMac
02-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Gonna hook-up a pigtail?

Possibly. You have a 24 zone on hand? I only have a 12 right now, and Peter shipped out to us on Friday. I don't remember if she has 12 or more stations.

DanaMac
02-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Gonna hook-up a pigtail?

It ended up being a 12 station so I did hook one up. I also received all the others today, so I'll get with you tomorrow about them.