PDA

View Full Version : Turf Painting

scweedman
02-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Does anyone paint turf or have tried it?
I'm trying to get some info on it.
Thanks

Ric
02-22-2009, 12:29 PM
scweedman

Years ago I had a call from a Real Estate company for an open house event. Being a last minute thing I ended up making them happy for a day or two with Green Tracking Dye not paint.

There is one painted lawn I know of in my town. I have been watching it like all (I am Sure) my competitor are also. It is the front yard of a mowing guy who lives on a main drag. His yard is pretty much all weeds and after about a month started looking not as good as when first sprayed. When first sprayed it stood out like a sore thumb among the brown yards of his neighbors.

I have also seen paint used as a Spot treatment for brown areas in a yard. IMHO the color doesn't match well at all. But I have a strange form of color blindness I am told. I must see color different than other people according to all the eye tests I have taken.

scweedman
02-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Seems to look ok in small areas but large lawns it looks spotty. I was thinking
it was do to not having a good sprayer.(backpack)

Ric
02-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Seems to look ok in small areas but large lawns it looks spotty. I was thinking
it was do to not having a good sprayer.(backpack)

scweedman

From my limited experience with Tracker Dye, spray pattern and consistency seem to be important. Checking with my local lesco they tell me a gallon covers 5 to 10 K. Some where in the middle should give you consistent color and coverage. The lawn in my town was done at the highest rate I am sure, because the Green was so unnatural. Even now after a month and half it doesn't look natural. But it is in a working class neighborhood where all the other lawns are brown this time of year.

I am replying to you because of common interest or curiosity. However IMHO and in my area and this Economy I don't see a big market for this kind service. However I could be wrong. The TV News carried a story a few months back about an other town where a guy was painting lawns Green.

jspray
02-22-2009, 11:55 PM
We have built a push sprayer specially for turf painting. We were just invited to Myrtle Beach. Horry Co. Convention Center where a Landscape Conf. was put on by Clemson Univ. personnel. I talked about our painting experience and we did a painting demo.

There was a lot of interest in painting rather than overseeding there. Several paints were talked about: we used Greenlawnger, others were Titan and Evergreen.

We demonstrated our PE-B all aluminum painter and it's handwand attachment that we used in small areas. The unit will paint about an acre per hr easily with it's 80" boom.

Unit has 3 gpm Shurflo pump and deep cycle gel battery that will power it all day or 8 hrs. It is then charged overnight with furnished smart charger.

Unit is lightweight with aluminum frame and pushes easily. 8 gal tank will spray 5,000 sq ft at 1.5 gal per thousand sq ft.

I am attaching several pictures of our ProEdge painter. Web siteis proedgesprayer.com

scweedman
02-23-2009, 08:11 AM
jspray, check your private messages

JPsDuramax
02-23-2009, 08:20 AM
I was reading on MSN, that is certain areas (I cannot remember where) that painting lawns were really going to take off this year. The reason was foreclosures. Agents want the grass to be "green" without having to pay for a yearlong treatment plan.

Ric
02-23-2009, 09:53 AM
I was reading on MSN, that is certain areas (I cannot remember where) that painting lawns were really going to take off this year. The reason was foreclosures. Agents want the grass to be "green" without having to pay for a yearlong treatment plan.

JP

My above post about the TV news reporting about lawn painting was in fact directed at foreclosed houses.

MRMelton
02-23-2009, 04:23 PM
I painted turf for a couple of spec homes a couple of years ago for a real estate developer. I did it with my skid sprayer...big pain!

tombo82685
02-24-2009, 08:15 AM
I have never used green dye on the greens here, but I have heard in some instances that the dye can get on golfers pants esp if their wearing white so thats probably why we dont do it

Ric
02-24-2009, 08:53 AM
I have never used green dye on the greens here, but I have heard in some instances that the dye can get on golfers pants esp if their wearing white so thats probably why we dont do it

Tombo

Don't let me sound like an expert here because I have never used turf paint only tracker dye. Tracker dye is a PITA and stains everything. However I believe Turf Paint once dry is safe.

Melton

I am sure cleaning a tank after using Turf Paint can be a real PITA. Any solvent that would clean it would also hurt your pump. Next question is where would spray you wash water?? My guess would be your own back yard, That way your yard and not a customer would have stripes.

scweedman
02-24-2009, 09:04 AM
From what i understand the paint is latex
Also the dormat grass stays warmer and
comes out of dormacy about 2 weeks earlier.
per Clemson University testing not mine

Ric
02-24-2009, 09:30 AM
From what i understand the paint is latex
Also the dormat grass stays warmer and
comes out of dormacy about 2 weeks earlier.
per Clemson University testing not mine

Scweedman

Maybe I am a pessimist, but I don't see a big market for lawn painting here in South Florida at present time. Most yards that irrigate, stay green all winter long and are still getting cut occasionally. But that doesn't mean there it's a market for those Bahia lawns that don't want to water all winter. I can't see any need for a pesticide license for spraying paint since the only thing it controls is color. I would hate to do it from a back pack and feel a 12V sprayer could be dedicated for paint only if you had a few jobs.

This might be a subject to be talked about in the mowing forum for people without pesticide license who are looking for winter upsells?

scweedman
02-24-2009, 03:51 PM
I agree in south carolina we have dormant grass for about 3 to 4 months. I don't think
you could get rich from it. But may be good for some winter work if its cheaper
than rye. I think the sprayer is going to make all the difference in the look. But you
would have to justify the cost of the sprayer.

jspray
02-24-2009, 06:25 PM
The sprayer can paint after frost to make money and then spray herbicides for weed control in the spring and summer for more and longer income.

Herbicide application is at 8 gal per 1/2 acre--very efficient.

Thanks, Bill J.