PDA

View Full Version : 08 F550 good deal? lol

Ramairfreak98ss
02-22-2009, 12:54 PM
I was going to get a dump insert for mulching for our one F350 in a couple weeks... although this isnt a crew cab and isnt fancy by the least bit and pretty basic.. its dirt cheap for a new truck...

08 white F550 DIESEL 6.4L TT v8 powerstroke, 5sp torqueshift trans
has 10 miles on it, standard cab, vinyl int, no cd player, manual everything, 2x4
12' 4' sides black landscape body made by Reading http://www.readingbody.com/Portals/0/pdfs/LandscapeLit.pdf

I think these are about 10-11k installed.

The WHOLE truck is 27k, and that was their offer with some ford rebate. I havnt even negotiated on a price and won't need financing from them.

Truck msrp is 40k, body is say 10k, 50k truck for under 30 out the door with tax.

with a 11k body, that makes the truck cost 16k for a 6.4L v8 diesel chassis cab 08 f550 single cab Ford truck!

newtostone
02-22-2009, 01:15 PM
If you dont need the 4x4 then I would love that price, I havent looked for a while but wow that sounds nice.

TXNSLighting
02-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Yeh id say thats a pretty good deal! Post pics when you get it.

Lakewlc
02-22-2009, 01:52 PM
yeah sounds like a really good deal

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-22-2009, 02:15 PM
that is an awesome price for a 550! that was the exact bed i was looking at getting for our next dump, as it would work great for mulch,soil, light aggregate, but we also do alot of tree hauling and i realized that we would destroy that bed pretty quickly.

Ramairfreak98ss
02-22-2009, 03:57 PM
that is an awesome price for a 550! that was the exact bed i was looking at getting for our next dump, as it would work great for mulch,soil, light aggregate, but we also do alot of tree hauling and i realized that we would destroy that bed pretty quickly.

yeah its 12gauge floor i think, which isnt bad, but yeah dropping even a 2ft 12" round stump or log would probably dent it up a bit. We just use the dump trailer or regular truck beds for that, and still just place the big stuff in normally.

Here is a picture toohttp://inlinethumb61.webshots.com/43068/2723385690036233031S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb09.webshots.com/43592/2899070830036233031S600x600Q85.jpg Even has two side boxes.
http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/43043/2670125300036233031S600x600Q85.jpg

Gravel Rat
02-22-2009, 06:04 PM
That is a good price but I don't think I would touch a 6.4 with a 10 foot pole. I hear the power is good but your dealing with major head aches when it comes to repairs. If I was buying a new F-550 it would be V-10 powered.

TXNSLighting
02-22-2009, 06:41 PM
yeh but you dont have to worry about it til 100k. so no biggy. And theyre very reliable, and not having many problems at all.

Lakewlc
02-22-2009, 07:11 PM
better lookin than i thought. nice truck

Gravel Rat
02-22-2009, 07:15 PM
It may go 100k it may not. When I looked under the hood of a 08 when they first came out I just shook my head and laughed. There is so much stuff crammed between two fenders and a hood it is unbeleiveable.

I'am a Ford man but I don't think I would buy a 6.4 because once the warranty runs out watch out the cost of repairs will be a small fortune.

newlooklandscp
02-22-2009, 07:42 PM
I have (2) 2008, a F450 and F550 dump trucks with the 6.4 and no problems yet. One has 8,000 miles on it and the other has 2000 miles of plow only on it. You will be ok.

DBFlawn
02-22-2009, 10:29 PM
I wouldnt take a 6.4 even if you gave it to me. A guy who works for us has one and it runs great!!!!.................when its not in the shop! its been in for stupid things and majior things. I mean like you cant replace the fuses with out taking it to the dealer otherwise it wil start to smoke, or not being able to go over 25mph on the highway, or leaking antifreeze or oil. BEWARE WHEN THE WARRENTY GOES OUT. he said its gone before then. also it cant idle for more then 20 minutes. ruined my taste for em

DBF

DBFlawn
02-22-2009, 10:30 PM
forgot to mention its an 08 f550 6.4 2wd with 28,000 miles and a 16ft bed

sorry

Ramairfreak98ss
02-22-2009, 11:15 PM
It may go 100k it may not. When I looked under the hood of a 08 when they first came out I just shook my head and laughed. There is so much stuff crammed between two fenders and a hood it is unbeleiveable.

I'am a Ford man but I don't think I would buy a 6.4 because once the warranty runs out watch out the cost of repairs will be a small fortune.

Well gravel, you got guys bitching because the 7.3L was so big and "low" on power compared to newer diesels, you had the 6.0L bitchers.. even though they 03/04s had a lot of electrical issues at the very least, now the 6.4L bitchers... no bodys ever happy.

Few things i dont like myself... since i am pretty happy with the 6 liters

1. Yeah, crammed parts under there, too many extra things to fail fast, but thats with all 08+ stuff
2. DPF... although its a work truck, ill be the judge if ill leave this all stock or not since ive seen some get "cough 6-8mpg average" and others much higher stock. If this sucker guzzles fuel like that, off all that crap comes. Ill have a tune put on it and larger pipe from the turbo into maybe even the stock muffler and stock tailpipe.
3. Guys have had issues with them over heating, engine codes popping up etc... Yeah i too feel it may "not" be as reliable as my other 6.0L diesels... but i am not relying on this truck 100%, if it needs to go in the shop we can afford to have it down for a few days at a time for something minor. If its gotta be in for all of April 09, im gonna return it lol

I honestly will probably only use it for mulching, some landscaping here and there over the summer and plowing in the winter with a big salt spreader.

By the time it hits 100k miles, I myself should know enough about it to fix it. I know gas engines/cars and modifications pretty well, im getting there with diesel stuff.

TXNSLighting
02-22-2009, 11:42 PM
I wouldnt take a 6.4 even if you gave it to me. A guy who works for us has one and it runs great!!!!.................when its not in the shop! its been in for stupid things and majior things. I mean like you cant replace the fuses with out taking it to the dealer otherwise it wil start to smoke, or not being able to go over 25mph on the highway, or leaking antifreeze or oil. BEWARE WHEN THE WARRENTY GOES OUT. he said its gone before then. also it cant idle for more then 20 minutes. ruined my taste for em

DBF

:hammerhead:WarrAnty...:hammerhead:For god sakes his is most likely a early 08. Yes its a first year engine, they have problems! All first year engines have bugs to be worked out...The problems youre describing are no longer an issue, and check your facts all diesels with the new EGR systems, which is at least 03+ can not idle for very long, its actually 5 min not 20...20 would be great. there's no way the fuse thing is even fact...

So once again check your facts bud. Aren't you under age and not even able to drive? Or was that someone else with a similar name...

JPsDuramax
02-23-2009, 12:14 AM
I was talking to a guy at the local Ford dealership who had an 08 F450 pickup with the 6.4L and said he was on the third enginge:dizzy: He nly had a total of 28xxx miles on it. They had a problem with the radiator, turbos, and electrical. He said he was sending it back as a lemon as it was back in the shop... for some other problem on the "new" engine.

On another note, I test drove one and it will flat out run. Plenty of power. Friend of mine has a 250 and he gets 13mpg no matter what he does. For the price you were quoted go for it.

newlooklandscp
02-23-2009, 12:32 AM
I was talking to a guy at the local Ford dealership who had an 08 F450 pickup with the 6.4L and said he was on the third enginge:dizzy: He nly had a total of 28xxx miles on it. They had a problem with the radiator, turbos, and electrical. He said he was sending it back as a lemon as it was back in the shop... for some other problem on the "new" engine.

On another note, I test drove one and it will flat out run. Plenty of power. Friend of mine has a 250 and he gets 13mpg no matter what he does. For the price you were quoted go for it.

If you don't like them so much then done buy one. I can see by you signature, what one crew or yourself max? please ... I can sit here and bash on the Duarmax and Chevy all day. The question was, was the truck worth the price for him? No you, not me, not anyone else but himself. As for 3 engines in 28,000 miles? I call bs. prove it.

02-23-2009, 01:07 AM
yeah its 12gauge floor i think, which isnt bad, but yeah dropping even a 2ft 12" round stump or log would probably dent it up a bit. We just use the dump trailer or regular truck beds for that, and still just place the big stuff in normally.

Here is a picture toohttp://inlinethumb61.webshots.com/43068/2723385690036233031S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb09.webshots.com/43592/2899070830036233031S600x600Q85.jpg Even has two side boxes.
http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/43043/2670125300036233031S600x600Q85.jpg

Do they have another at that price?

02-23-2009, 02:38 AM
aww nevermind I found that truck on thier website. They allready list it as "sale pending", so you must be all over it. That sure is a great deal.

Edit: Thats a crazy good price on the red 2008 F350 dump also! $34k 4x4 with a heil dump, your not getting that truck around here for less than 42k.

JPsDuramax
02-23-2009, 08:10 AM
If you don't like them so much then done buy one. I can see by you signature, what one crew or yourself max? please ... I can sit here and bash on the Duarmax and Chevy all day. The question was, was the truck worth the price for him? No you, not me, not anyone else but himself. As for 3 engines in 28,000 miles? I call bs. prove it.

I'm not bashing Ford (I have a 350 with a 6.0 and and excursion with 7.3), I was just relaying the info he gave me when I brought in the 350 to get serviced. I had thought about buying one until then. As for the engines, the radiator problems caused the first engine to overheat and "meltdown" as he put it. The second engine went the same way and the third one was having problems with the two turbos. I think his was just a lemon, but I personally will not continue to look at them after that.

Ducati996
02-23-2009, 09:58 AM
I was going to get a dump insert for mulching for our one F350 in a couple weeks... although this isnt a crew cab and isnt fancy by the least bit and pretty basic.. its dirt cheap for a new truck...

08 white F550 DIESEL 6.4L TT v8 powerstroke, 5sp torqueshift trans
has 10 miles on it, standard cab, vinyl int, no cd player, manual everything, 2x4
12' 4' sides black landscape body made by Reading http://www.readingbody.com/Portals/0/pdfs/LandscapeLit.pdf

I think these are about 10-11k installed.

The WHOLE truck is 27k, and that was their offer with some ford rebate. I havnt even negotiated on a price and won't need financing from them.

Truck msrp is 40k, body is say 10k, 50k truck for under 30 out the door with tax.

with a 11k body, that makes the truck cost 16k for a 6.4L v8 diesel chassis cab 08 f550 single cab Ford truck!

It looks to have a 10 guage bed ( a plus), so you might be in great shape there - however I would strongly urge looking at a 4wd version. Part of it being resale, the other part is versatility and navigating in different terrain.
You will be surprised when you have a full load of topsoil and in 2wd in muddy conditions on how fast you can get stuck. Any type of hill will cause issues with a standard 2wd and a heavy load. Through it in 4wd low and the problem goes away and the truck dosent strain....try climbing a curb in 2wd and with weight. Its real easy in idle in 4wd low or high, no strain on drivetrain.
Also maybe you want to get involved with plowing? Its probably not going to be fun with a 2wd truck...

I have a 2006 F550 4x4 6.0 diesel - its been a great truck with zero problems

Best of luck eitherway

Ramairfreak98ss
02-23-2009, 11:18 AM
aww nevermind I found that truck on thier website. They allready list it as "sale pending", so you must be all over it. That sure is a great deal.

Edit: Thats a crazy good price on the red 2008 F350 dump also! $34k 4x4 with a heil dump, your not getting that truck around here for less than 42k.

image, i just talked to them on the phone again, they're REAL eager for a sale but i shut them down pretty fast when they just told me the 27k price is for the TRUCK ONLY, it doesnt include the body, they want another 11k on the body plus install price which he wasnt sure of what it cost. But its funny,the body is already installed, jackass wasting my time. They called me yesterday morning, on a sunday to talk about the truck, diesel, f550, 2008, no miles on it yet, 12ft body etc. but yeah no body in the price, what deceptive marketing. I would have never called for a stripper f550 for 38k!

Ducati.. we do a lot of plowing. In NJ we never have big storms anymore :( I didnt have my f350 dually in 4x4 more than 10% of the time this year. Actually only one storm, because i wanted to floor it in reverse so to speak to get across the wide parking lots faster.

With 4000~ lbs of weight on the back of my dually CC f350, it rarely would ever need 4x4, and i cant ever see getting it stuck plowing in nJ. Almost all f550s i see other Landscapers have in jersey are all 2wd, yet id get a 4x4 just for peace of mind but this one wasnt. We would use it for maintenance and mulching and probably never take it off roading or in mud anyway.

Ramairfreak98ss
02-23-2009, 11:21 AM
doesnt say sale pending here ... you saw this truck ? http://www.lindsayfordofwheaton.com/preowned/vehicle-details.cfm?vin=1FDAF56R58EB59113

They really kept pressing for me to drive down to get the truck. For 27k i would have went down tomorrow to pick it up, i can afford 27k, i cant afford 38k plus there are far nicer crew cabs 05-08 used on ebay in xlt trim, nicer bodies, nicer wheels in good condition for less. Knew a NEW truck for that price was too good to be true, i was waiting to drive down and find out if was a 5.4L gas v8 :hammerhead:

02-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Guess I didnt look at your picks close enough. Here is another one, almost the exact same truck and price.

http://www.watertownford.com/detail-2008-ford-f~550-12__reading_landscape_dump-3294401.html

DBFlawn
02-23-2009, 04:02 PM
:hammerhead:WarrAnty...:hammerhead:For god sakes his is most likely a early 08. Yes its a first year engine, they have problems! All first year engines have bugs to be worked out...The problems youre describing are no longer an issue, and check your facts all diesels with the new EGR systems, which is at least 03+ can not idle for very long, its actually 5 min not 20...20 would be great. there's no way the fuse thing is even fact...

So once again check your facts bud. Aren't you under age and not even able to drive? Or was that someone else with a similar name...

hahaha thats funny because i am the one who is 15. and im also sorry for misspelling warranty!! guess i should go back to school huh? :rolleyes:

but however i am not sorry for what i have stated. these are problems that have been experienced with his truck. no joke. i dont care what you think about the whole fuse thing. it happened.

i dont know if his truck was an early one or not. i dont care. im telling what happened to his. and the whole idling thing. i have not heard anything about them not being able to idle more than 5 minutes other than the 08's. when he brought his truck in they told him that and he asked the tech there why his brother hasnt had any problem with it. well the reason he got was because he has the 07 6.0 with has not had a problem yet.

Ramairfreak98ss
02-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Guess I didnt look at your picks close enough. Here is another one, almost the exact same truck and price.

http://www.watertownford.com/detail-2008-ford-f~550-12__reading_landscape_dump-3294401.htmlYeah pretty similar.. Did it say how much it was? That ones 4x4 which would be even better yet. I know these deal will start popping up eventually.

The MD dealer did take down that link i just posted, you cant access it now lol

DUSTYCEDAR
02-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Gotta love the bait and well we all know

02-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Yeah pretty similar.. Did it say how much it was? That ones 4x4 which would be even better yet. I know these deal will start popping up eventually.

The MD dealer did take down that link i just posted, you cant access it now lol

no it didnt say the price on that one. Did you see the red 350 at the watertown dealership? $33k 4x4 diesel with a dump? Probally same deal with bait and switch.

Ramairfreak98ss
02-23-2009, 06:34 PM
no it didnt say the price on that one. Did you see the red 350 at the watertown dealership? $33k 4x4 diesel with a dump? Probally same deal with bait and switch.

yeah i saw that one.

my local dealer has a 08 LCF diesel, 12' mason dump for 34,xxx$ right now, actually it could even be an 07 since they had it sitting there since late 07.

I see on FL on ebay some 08 F650 crew cabs, no bodies starting at 30k lol. No body is buying anything with this economy, theyd have to discount trucks like this half price, 32k is half off their sticker price. The body companys wont discount stuff though and i wont pay 10-11k for a body with how much discount everything else is these days. If it came with it all installed for under 40k thats a deal.

I dont NEED more toys or cars or trucks, but a low enough price and ill invest a little and take a little risk, otherwise, no one should be buying anything unless they have to have it now.

Gravel Rat
02-23-2009, 09:09 PM
You really don't need 4wheeldrive a truck with the True Trac in the diff does just fine. These trucks sink so fast it doesn't matter if you have 4wheeldrive or not. The only time 4x4 helps is in snow.

nosparkplugs
02-23-2009, 10:15 PM
I cannot believe how low Ford & Dodge have went on their 4500/5500, even with the 11K dump body your at 38K for a real sweat truck. If you got the credit to get approved for financing, and need the truck I would try to capitalize on it.

Ducati996
02-24-2009, 11:37 AM
You really don't need 4wheeldrive a truck with the True Trac in the diff does just fine. These trucks sink so fast it doesn't matter if you have 4wheeldrive or not. The only time 4x4 helps is in snow.

Please just say this is your own person opinion, because it certainly isnt mine and having a F550 4x4, I would settle for nothing less than 4x4. I have 100 reasons why its already saved my hide etc...I certainly dont need it just for snow, but getting around various job sites I certainly do.

Gravel Rat
02-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Trust me I know what a 2wd can do I have been in the trucking business for 15 years. Been in some of the toughest construction sites you can be in. I seriously doubt you have the mountain goat driveways we have on Coastal B.C. . There is places where you have to travel 4-5 miles offroad on a single track road barely 9 feet wide you travel in 2nd gear all the way to the house. Some hills even with 8000lbs of gravel on the truck the tires spin like you have a empty truck.

Like I said I know where a 2wd can go I have taken my F-450s into places a regular 3/4 ton 4x4 needs to use 4 wheeldrive to get out. I have amazed homeowners where I can go there is places I shouldn't have gone.

Having 4wheeldrive is just for convenience it is NOT necessary only people that lack experience need to depend on 4 wheeldrive.

Had a hauling job moving some 14 foot long 36 and 40 inch diameter logs out of a property to a mill. Driveway nothing but greasy clay mud driveway couple thousand feet long with two switch backs and a 8% grade. Truck was churning through 8 inches of mud one spot it was deeper probably 12 inches deep. If I didn't have 7000lbs of weight I don't know if I would have made it.

There is only 1 time I got myself into real trouble I had to have a excavator on the site to push me up a driveway. I couldn't back up and couldn't go forward. Driveway was real narrow a little steep you open the drivers door your looking at a drop off. If you went over the bank with the truck it would distroy the truck.

There is houses with driveways steep enough that have any moisture on the concrete you can't get out the tires just spin. Some of them if you stop your truck and put it in park the truck will slide with the rear wheels locked up on a empty truck.

Do I need the extra expense of dealing with 4wheeldrive nope I'am better off with a 12,000lb winch mounted to the front because there are places I have gone 4 wheeldrive would have done nothing. A winch is pretty much needed for the new construction sites the access roads are so steep they have 12% grades or better. Lots of places if you make one wrong move your stuck a tow truck isn't going to get you out. Only a backhoe or a excavator.

There is places where you can only put 1/2 a load on the truck put a full load on it your not going to make it the truck won't handle it mostly you have problems with braking power.

The best investment for a 2wd F-450 or F-550 is a Detroit locker or Detroit True Trac in the rear diff and a good open shoulder drive tire.

tnmtn
02-25-2009, 02:08 AM
i have to disagree with your opinion GR. we have a few mountains here as well and 4wd is definitly a safety benefit. it has also kept me productive on days i wouldn't have worked without it. i would 11 days this year i was able to access a site that without 4wd i wouldn't have gotten close to. i will agree that if if trucking is a second (hobby) job and you don't depend on it to buy food and pay rent then the extra expense of 4wd may not be in someones best interest. also in the flatlands it may not be as much of a benifit and lockers might suffice. looking forward to more pics of the OP's truck. i think it will work out great for him.
good luck,

Ducati996
02-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Trust me I know what a 2wd can do I have been in the trucking business for 15 years. Been in some of the toughest construction sites you can be in. I seriously doubt you have the mountain goat driveways we have on Coastal B.C. . There is places where you have to travel 4-5 miles offroad on a single track road barely 9 feet wide you travel in 2nd gear all the way to the house. Some hills even with 8000lbs of gravel on the truck the tires spin like you have a empty truck.

Like I said I know where a 2wd can go I have taken my F-450s into places a regular 3/4 ton 4x4 needs to use 4 wheeldrive to get out. I have amazed homeowners where I can go there is places I shouldn't have gone.

Having 4wheeldrive is just for convenience it is NOT necessary only people that lack experience need to depend on 4 wheeldrive.

Had a hauling job moving some 14 foot long 36 and 40 inch diameter logs out of a property to a mill. Driveway nothing but greasy clay mud driveway couple thousand feet long with two switch backs and a 8% grade. Truck was churning through 8 inches of mud one spot it was deeper probably 12 inches deep. If I didn't have 7000lbs of weight I don't know if I would have made it.

There is only 1 time I got myself into real trouble I had to have a excavator on the site to push me up a driveway. I couldn't back up and couldn't go forward. Driveway was real narrow a little steep you open the drivers door your looking at a drop off. If you went over the bank with the truck it would distroy the truck.

There is houses with driveways steep enough that have any moisture on the concrete you can't get out the tires just spin. Some of them if you stop your truck and put it in park the truck will slide with the rear wheels locked up on a empty truck.

Do I need the extra expense of dealing with 4wheeldrive nope I'am better off with a 12,000lb winch mounted to the front because there are places I have gone 4 wheeldrive would have done nothing. A winch is pretty much needed for the new construction sites the access roads are so steep they have 12% grades or better. Lots of places if you make one wrong move your stuck a tow truck isn't going to get you out. Only a backhoe or a excavator.

There is places where you can only put 1/2 a load on the truck put a full load on it your not going to make it the truck won't handle it mostly you have problems with braking power.

The best investment for a 2wd F-450 or F-550 is a Detroit locker or Detroit True Trac in the rear diff and a good open shoulder drive tire.

I have traveled the world, does this count as experience? and its likely Im older too, so again does this count as experience? LOL again its your opinion
and its not something Im going to entertain as fact.

4wd adds value plain and simple. So much so that folks wont buy without it.
Thats it, nothing more to be said on it....of course winchs are a plus but lets just stay on the topic or let it rest. :waving:

Ducati996
02-25-2009, 10:53 AM
i have to disagree with your opinion GR. we have a few mountains here as well and 4wd is definitly a safety benefit. it has also kept me productive on days i wouldn't have worked without it. i would 11 days this year i was able to access a site that without 4wd i wouldn't have gotten close to. i will agree that if if trucking is a second (hobby) job and you don't depend on it to buy food and pay rent then the extra expense of 4wd may not be in someones best interest. also in the flatlands it may not be as much of a benifit and lockers might suffice. looking forward to more pics of the OP's truck. i think it will work out great for him.
good luck,

Exactly that....:clapping:

riverwalklandscaping
02-25-2009, 08:22 PM
did you get the 19,500 gwr?

nosparkplugs
02-25-2009, 08:34 PM
We have done just fine without a 4x4 truck for the past 10 years, some of the largest heavy equipment companies here in Memphis DO NOT purchase 4x4 for use on the pipe line. We use a Kubota RTV, and leave the truck behind when it gets muddy, 4x4 just get us in more trouble 90% of the time. I have never road with a guy that owns a 4x4 that does not think he is the SHAT with that 4x4, and the famous last words are "WATCH THIS"

KrayzKajun
02-25-2009, 08:49 PM
That is a good price but I don't think I would touch a 6.4 with a 10 foot pole. I hear the power is good but your dealing with major head aches when it comes to repairs. If I was buying a new F-550 it would be V-10 powered.

i beg to differ! i love my 6.4l! no problems at all

Gravel Rat
02-25-2009, 11:16 PM
Hey its up to you if you think you need 4 wheeldrive buy it. Myself I don't want to be dealing with a extra driveshaft 4 extra U joints etc. The F-450-550 still uses a light transfercase put enough strain on it the thing will grenade.

On the 99-04 F-450 F-550 trucks if you want a 4x4 then you end up with smaller front brakes so now your into problems with warped rotors etc.

I hold a motorcarrier number I can haul freight legally anywhere. I drive gravel truck etc. Trust me you guys would be crapping your diapers getting into job sites that we have here. It is bad enough redimix companies use tridrive trucks ie 3 drive axles with lockers in each axle to climb into these places. There is places where I was lowered down a road on a cable hooked to the front bumper of the dump truck.

Some of the new places require a 6x6 articulated dump to get up and down a new driveway.

Places you just can't get a truck up the driveway even pulling it up with a 16 ton excavator.

Ducati996
02-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Hey its up to you if you think you need 4 wheeldrive buy it. Myself I don't want to be dealing with a extra driveshaft 4 extra U joints etc. The F-450-550 still uses a light transfercase put enough strain on it the thing will grenade.

On the 99-04 F-450 F-550 trucks if you want a 4x4 then you end up with smaller front brakes so now your into problems with warped rotors etc.

All personal opinions, which is fine - however they not fact or relevant to the original OP question. Most dont care about the extra splines or universal joints, and the transfer case isnt the issue at all. The brakes have been the large caliber since 2006, and probably before. They do tend to put nice upgrades in each model year, if thats ok with you? I would just respect the fact people buy and use 4wd trucks and skip the questioning part or conjecture which is really meaningless ...

Gravel Rat
02-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Myself I really don't care anymore, I have forgotten more about trucking than most of you lawn jockeys know.

My familly has been in trucking for 40 years I started hauling with 1 ton trucks when I got my DL at 16. I also pull wrenches and repair my own trucks I guess you don't do that yourself do you Ducati. Had 4 wheeldrive trucks okay when your dealing with a regular P/U truck get into F-450 and larger 4x4s they are expensive.

Anybody that says they need 4wheeldrive just shows the lack of driving skill simple as that. A regular P/U truck yes you need 4wheeldrive a 2wd 3/4 ton will get stuck on a banana peal. A F-450 F-550 has enough traction with a locker or limited slip. Having 4 wheeldrive just gets you further stuck. Any places I have deliver to and the access road is bad ie steep and grass or just way too rough forget it. If the road is soft the back tires sink so fast it will make your head spin the 4 wheeldrive will do sweet beep all nothing.

As for a F-550 yes they are a good trucks one company I worked for I had no problems putting 8000-10,000lbs on the deck and go deliver it.

Ohwell why argue with landscapers they think they know everything they need to know about trucking.

Lets see someone like myself that takes a 58,000lb gravel truck into tough places compared to a landscaper with a 2 ton truck who has more experience with trucks. Well I think I do.

My F-450 is a toy I know it I make extra money on the side with it.

Ducati996
02-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Myself I really don't care anymore, I have forgotten more about trucking than most of you lawn jockeys know.

My familly has been in trucking for 40 years I started hauling with 1 ton trucks when I got my DL at 16. I also pull wrenches and repair my own trucks I guess you don't do that yourself do you Ducati. Had 4 wheeldrive trucks okay when your dealing with a regular P/U truck get into F-450 and larger 4x4s they are expensive.

Anybody that says they need 4wheeldrive just shows the lack of driving skill simple as that. A regular P/U truck yes you need 4wheeldrive a 2wd 3/4 ton will get stuck on a banana peal. A F-450 F-550 has enough traction with a locker or limited slip. Having 4 wheeldrive just gets you further stuck. Any places I have deliver to and the access road is bad ie steep and grass or just way too rough forget it. If the road is soft the back tires sink so fast it will make your head spin the 4 wheeldrive will do sweet beep all nothing.

As for a F-550 yes they are a good trucks one company I worked for I had no problems putting 8000-10,000lbs on the deck and go deliver it.

Ohwell why argue with landscapers they think they know everything they need to know about trucking.

Lets see someone like myself that takes a 58,000lb gravel truck into tough places compared to a landscaper with a 2 ton truck who has more experience with trucks. Well I think I do.

I can tell from your posts, you forgot alot or just dont know much..either way its not fun picking on you, because your already crying...good grief :dizzy:

tnmtn
02-26-2009, 09:20 PM
GR,
i think my problem with some of your posts is you throw out ideas like they are the gospel. black and white and no grey zone. the point of a forum is to discuss the many diffrent ways of approaching the same situation. there are many regional diffrences in what is required. so what works in my area may not be the best solution in your area or someone somewhere else's. the other thing is you often refer to all on here as lawn jockeys. many of us aren't. in fact many of us make much more money doing excavation, erosion control, wall building and driveways than you do. to this we could say that makes us even more professional than you. the proof is in the bank account. you probably will now tell us how your area is depressed. well 2 diffrent times i have moved to where the work is in order to work in my profession. my bussiness has and will travel to where we need to keep working. old saying those who can do, those who can't teach. we do. i believe you work for the government. so that means to me that you don't even teach. and it means you are a part timer telling full timers what they are doing doesn't work. it doesn't matter to me what your families bussiness is. my father was a doctor. i have heard medical conversations all my life around the dinner table. this does not qualify me to operate on anybody. lol. i hope one day you can find a job in excavation or trucking, it seems such a waste that someone with your vast experiance and knowledge can't find (or create)a job in trucking or excavation that is full time or move to where you can. just try to learn from others and maybe they will be more open to learning from you. i do agree on your 7.3 idi opinions.
good luck,

Gravel Rat
02-27-2009, 03:05 AM
One thing about it I have a job I make my 40 grand a year and have a gauranteed income. Can't say that with the others I know who are not working. Another company in the area just let go another 120 workers laid off perminantly.

If there was work I would be driving truck or working as a mechanic or back to industrial steel fabrication. The whole of B.C. economy is slow doesn't matter where you go. The reason its slow is because the USA economy has crashed there is no demand for the natural resources that B.C. sells to the USA.

One thing I do know is I get a gauranteed paycheck every 2 weeks I don't have to worry about getting paid. My truck driving buddies are on the verge of loosing their jobs the companies I worked for are dead slow. My friends that work in the forestry have been laid off since November 2008 and no sign of them going back to work maybe not till 2010.

I think I would rather have a full time job than be un-employeed and work in the excavation business. No more demand for 1 to 2 million dollar summer houses being built here. Even the excavation contractors that have been in business for 30 years are feeling the huge slow down.

Ducati996
02-27-2009, 07:07 AM
One thing about it I have a job I make my 40 grand a year and have a gauranteed income. Can't say that with the others I know who are not working. Another company in the area just let go another 120 workers laid off perminantly.

Go figure, insults everybody on the board and it turns out he doesn't even make enough to cover the real estate taxes in these parts....

Addison Landscaping
02-27-2009, 11:29 AM
http://vi.ebaydesc.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDesc&s1=2&item=350167381177&t=1229966453000&seller=texas_direct&js=e583:1&hr=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitemdesc=&seller=texas_direct&ebaydesc=1&js=e583%3A1&item=400029771370,400027263971&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&t=1229966453000&s1=2&viewitem=&hr=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Febaymotors%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem

Gravel Rat
02-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Go figure, insults everybody on the board and it turns out he doesn't even make enough to cover the real estate taxes in these parts....

Atleast my job is gauranteed is yours :laugh:

Oh ya there is more people in the state of New York than there is in B.C. and Alberta combined.

Untill the US economy picks up again which it may not for another couple years the economy in the province I live in will be slow.

Ramairfreak98ss
02-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Addison, yeah i saw that one on there too.. they have a lot of nice stuff. If it was a diesel and a 12' landscape bed id be looking at that of course :p

again, all stuff aside, if i was buying exactly what i thought we could use the most, for the most versatility...

12' landscape bed, 19.5gvw, xlt package, all powerwindows/doors, keyless entry, chrome step rails, navigation built in for once, 4x4

that 27k price was just too good, i would have dealt without the other bells and whistles and 4x4.

Ramairfreak98ss
02-27-2009, 10:50 PM
Atleast my job is gauranteed is yours :laugh:

Oh ya there is more people in the state of New York than there is in B.C. and Alberta combined.

Untill the US economy picks up again which it may not for another couple years the economy in the province I live in will be slow.

lol Gravel, you posted your income, or an amount, so you KNOW someones going to bash it be 10k or 100k right? Hey at least your honest, most of us dont really know what they make, or like me, reality is that i still make peanuts and the business eats up everything, but i've grown the business and invested in good equipment over the past years... Im still waiting for my bright red 2002 firebird trans am, a newer GTO, cobra mustang and newer fancy blue corvette lol. If only i could work them into the business plan and need them for some use, id have one yesterday.

brandon9996
03-04-2009, 12:57 AM
I can tell from your posts, you forgot alot or just dont know much..either way its not fun picking on you, because your already crying...good grief :dizzy:

hahaha right on

brandon9996
03-04-2009, 01:01 AM
i beg to differ! i love my 6.4l! no problems at all

Me to man i had no problems out of mine at all, just sold it last month with 22,340 miles on it and i had alot of extra's in it and it still held up perfect..

brandon9996
03-04-2009, 01:02 AM

buddy i got you beat by 40,000, my family farms and i haul during the winter in the off months. 95,000-102,000 lbs of grain usually 3 loads a day...so there may be some landscapers thats got another experience in trucking so dont open your mouth wide now

Ramairfreak98ss
03-26-2009, 07:27 PM
talked to 3 different sales man from this dealer... they keep calling me, because they want to really sell me a truck lol

they finally fixed the link, now $38k lol, they wanted $12.9k extra for the frekkin body

http://www.lindsayfordofwheaton.com/preowned/vehicle-details.cfm?vin=1FDAF56R58EB59113

TXNSLighting
03-26-2009, 11:39 PM
I dont want to look back, but have you offered anything?

Gravel Rat
03-27-2009, 01:44 AM
The dealer isn't going to stop pestering you untill you tell them your not interested. Car dealers are getting pretty hungry.

KrayzKajun
03-27-2009, 06:44 AM

I love my 6.4L!! ive had no trouble with mine

Ducati996
03-27-2009, 09:23 AM
and without 4wd especially at that price I would walk...as I said before

stuvecorp
03-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Just tell them the next time you are going to buy a Sterling/Dodge for less than 30,000, see what they say.:) I don't think that truck is any special deal.

Gravel Rat
03-27-2009, 06:58 PM
In my mind that is a good price because here we are looking at 54-57,000 just for a cab and chassis F-550 regular cab the box like that one a easy 10 grand.

Myself I don't like the interior/dash of the 08-09 trucks kinda ugly the new front end has grown on me but the interior its too boxy.

stuvecorp
03-28-2009, 01:04 AM
In my mind that is a good price because here we are looking at 54-57,000 just for a cab and chassis F-550 regular cab the box like that one a easy 10 grand.

Myself I don't like the interior/dash of the 08-09 trucks kinda ugly the new front end has grown on me but the interior its too boxy.

You guys up there are getting screwed with the truck prices. I think I'm going to export some trucks up there.:)

Gravel Rat
03-28-2009, 01:18 AM
The dealers are definatly not offering any deals.