PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman v. Stihl

Cuttinitclose
02-22-2009, 03:33 PM
PLEASE READ B4 REPLYING! Which one of these would be better for me? I thinking the craftsman because it will have a 5 year warranty v. a 1 year for the stihl. I looked at it today and I really like it. I plan on looking at the stihl in a couple weeks. I know stihl would most likely be your pick but remember I don't mow more than 7 a week. I truly don't think it weighs 20 pounds. I like the stihl because you can buy other attachments for it. Price is kinda a factor. I have had good luck with craftsman but also know stihl is more commercial rugged. The dealer and sears is both about 30 miles away. Honest opinion please! It would not be my only trimmer if it broke down.

Craftsman #79191
Product Overview:
Brush Cutter Displacement: 29 cc
Cutting Swath: 14 in. swath
19.0 lbs.
General Warranty: 2 years (Would also purchase extra 3 year warranty)
Motor-Engine:
Displacement: 29 cc
Type: 4-cycle
Has Primer Bulb: Yes
Speed Capability: Variable
Line:
Line Replacement Requirement: Tool-less
Line Diameter: .095 in.
Trimmer Line Exit: Dual
Line Feed: Bump
Controls, Safety:
Safety Override: Yes
Construction:
Shaft: Straight
Handles:
Aux. Handle Type: D grip
Total Price:$245

STIHL FS 90R
Displacement: 28.4 cc
Engine Power:1.27 bhp
Weight: 11.7 lbs.
Fuel Capacity: 18.0 oz.
Warranty: 1 year
Total Price $330

Tommy Boy
02-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Hey Brother,

I read your equipment list, I think it's time to up grade to commercial grade stuff. Pay now or Pay later. You will be much happier with commercial grade equipment. Ryobi and craftsman are considered home owner level gear. Nothing bad to start with, but at some time you need to bump up to a commercial level.

Just my 2 cents, but I like the Stihl. On the extended warranty, if they find out you used it commercially, it will void the warranty

STIHL GUY
02-22-2009, 03:42 PM
i know that the craftsman stuff has a 5 year warranty but it will probably be in the shop every month. The STIHL is very dependable and will not need service. ive had STIHL equipment for 4 or 5 years now without one single problem. it may cost a little more but it will pay off in the long run for you to buy the STIHL

Cuttinitclose
02-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Hey Brother,

I read your equipment list, I think it's time to up grade to commercial grade stuff. Pay now or Pay later. You will be much happier with commercial grade equipment. Ryobi and craftsman are considered home owner level gear. Nothing bad to start with, but at some time you need to bump up to a commercial level.

Just my 2 cents, but I like the Stihl. On the extended warranty, if they find out you used it commercially, it will void the warranty

I plan on donating the ryobi to school for ag class. Yeah I was afraid of someone saying that they would void the warranty. I need something that will be easy to start, considering they are all switching over to the 4 cycle. (I'm not a real big kid) I was also considering the FS 56RC-E since it has easy 2 start, but it is also not commercial. I don't know what to buy!:dizzy: THANKS FOR EVERYBODYS HELP, I know I can be annoying with all the questions!!

Nick's Lawn Care
02-22-2009, 03:47 PM
You can not beat the reliability of the stihl. Just by the good stuff now so you donít have to buy it down the road. It will be cheaper to buy the stihl, honestly if you have a good dealer you donít really need a warranty.

Nick

Please_Be_Green
02-22-2009, 03:48 PM
I have a 12 year old 2-cycle craftsman trimmer... and while it works it's not anything compared to the Stihl Kombi.

Honestly, I think either or will get the job done.

I also agree with your thoughts on warranty, but I ask... When was the last time you used a warranty on anything?

Frue
02-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Your mind is made up so really you are looking for one person to validate your opinion. You are foolish to use non commercial equipment for this business. Crapsman is rated at about a half hour a week for about 28 uses per year. Now go tell the guy at sears i cut 7 yards a week for extra income and see what the warranty is. How about 90 days.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Tommy Boy
02-22-2009, 03:50 PM
I plan on donating the ryobi to school for ag class. Yeah I was afraid of someone saying that they would void the warranty. I need something that will be easy to start, considering they are all switching over to the 4 cycle. (I'm not a real big kid) I was also considering the FS 56RC-E since it has easy 2 start, but it is also not commercial. I don't know what to buy!:dizzy:

Look at the Kombi line from Sthil, you can get the trimmer head now and add on as you grow. Then you have one great power head. I like the 110, You can get stick edgers, pole saw, all kinds of great gear.

You sound like a great guy, spend a little more now to avoid headaches later. No problem starting if you follow good maintenance and you have room to grow

mowerbrad
02-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Stihl...there is no question about it. My FS100RX starts in usually 1-2 pulls, very easy. A stihl will last you 10x longer than a craftsman. And if you have to have it repaired, a dealer will do it and not sears, who has to send it out-very time consuming.

billslawn89
02-22-2009, 03:54 PM
years and years ago when i first started out, i had the crapsmen stuff cuz thats what i had for my own personal use at my house. i started using that stuff in the business and about 6 months later, the crapsman stuff was junk! went to stihl and never looked back!

Cuttinitclose
02-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Remember I only weigh sadly 90 pounds. But completly healthy.:) So it needs to be easy to start. Long as it starts easy I'm all for it.

Jay Ray
02-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Sears is offering commercial warranties now? Didn't know that.

The 14" swath on the Craftsman seems kinda small (slow).

I have a Weedeater Featherlite straight shaft trimmer from Walmart for $99 five years ago -- as a last ditch backup and to trim around flowers planted in lawns. It is very lite, but it is very slow too.

My Stihl FS80 is 10.8 lbs. empty.

Also have the biggest Redmax brushcutter with .130 dual line and big swath, weighs 20 lbs., and it is a hoss and starts very easy.

Cuttinitclose
02-22-2009, 04:18 PM
No it's not a commercial warranty. I was gonna go with an FS80 but they quit making them.

Jay Ray
02-22-2009, 04:24 PM
I was gonna go with an FS80 but they quit making them.

Thanks, if my dealer still has any in stock I'm grabbing one.

On the 19 lb. Craftsman you will have to use a harness or your arms won't last long. It is too heavy a unit for fine trimming. I am 200 lbs and can't handle the big Redmax without a harness.

RGM
02-22-2009, 04:50 PM
You are kiding right

Dependable Lawncare
02-22-2009, 04:56 PM
I choose option c. Husqvarna 223L at Lowes. Price dropped to $256 at my local last week and I snagged one. Been using them for years, wouldn't buy anything else. Lightweight but plenty powerful. You won't be sorry.

nosparkplugs
02-22-2009, 05:00 PM
PLEASE READ B4 REPLYING! Which one of these would be better for me? I thinking the craftsman because it will have a 5 year warranty v. a 1 year for the stihl. I looked at it today and I really like it. I plan on looking at the stihl in a couple weeks. I know stihl would most likely be your pick but remember I don't mow more than 7 a week. I truly don't think it weighs 20 pounds. I like the stihl because you can buy other attachments for it. Price is kinda a factor. I have had good luck with craftsman but also know stihl is more commercial rugged. The dealer and sears is both about 30 miles away. Honest opinion please! It would not be my only trimmer if it broke down.

Craftsman #79191
Product Overview:
Brush Cutter Displacement: 29 cc
Cutting Swath: 14 in. swath
19.0 lbs.
General Warranty: 2 years (Would also purchase extra 3 year warranty)
Motor-Engine:
Displacement: 29 cc
Type: 4-cycle
Has Primer Bulb: Yes
Speed Capability: Variable
Line:
Line Replacement Requirement: Tool-less
Line Diameter: .095 in.
Trimmer Line Exit: Dual
Line Feed: Bump
Controls, Safety:
Safety Override: Yes
Construction:
Shaft: Straight
Handles:
Aux. Handle Type: D grip
Total Price:$245

STIHL FS 90R
Displacement: 28.4 cc
Engine Power:1.27 bhp
Weight: 11.7 lbs.
Fuel Capacity: 18.0 oz.
Warranty: 1 year
Total Price $330

Lets take the products right out of the equation here. Your looking at warranty only. First Sears does not specialize in selling lawn & landscape equipment for professional use, homeowners only please, with a Sears heavy duty option in their line up:rolleyes:, What does Sears specialize in:rolleyes: NOTHING Sears sells everything. Even at the management level if you have a problem their useless in helping you. Your weedeat is like a washer or dryer to them, complain your need it fixed ASAP for commercial use:laugh:, that will speed them up in kicking you out the door:waving:. Also if you look at the Sears warranty the fine print will say commercial use voids warranty, residential use only. So unless your lying about the use this is not even apples to apples.

Stick with a local commercial grade equipment dealer:) 1 year commerical is equal to a 5 year Sears Crapsman warranty IMO

I love reading these threads:laugh:

Cuttinitclose
02-22-2009, 05:03 PM
So between Stihls
FS 56RC-E w/ Easy 2 Start
FS 90R
Both are light commercial.
How easy is the 90 to start?

Cuttinitclose
02-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Scratch this thread go to "Stihl v. Stihl Please Help". Thank you!!!

2brothersyardcare
02-22-2009, 05:37 PM
i have a 1 year old troy bit 4 cycle it rocks but its going to and edger/hedger this year and im getting a stihl trimmer and then im getting a stihl edger then a stihl hedger so it wil be around for a little wile but get a stihl.

Cuttinitclose
02-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Go to "Stihl v. Stihl Please Help" please.

cutbetterthanyou
02-22-2009, 06:11 PM
If you buy stihl don't buy the light duty one. i bought 2 of them and they didn't last a month blew the motor with one and broke the shaft in the otheir then they were in and out of the shop until i got tryed of akeing them back the warrinty wasn't even up a i got so disgued i hung them on the wall in the shop. Then i was out of money so i tryed the $100 crastman it lasted a week.I was so cheap that the shaft bend from it being in the trimmer rack goin down the road.I took 1 hand an straighen it then it rained on it never ran again. If you have to get stihl, stick with the bigger commercal one otheir wise i recomend echo,if you can't spend the money on echo i say husky

Cuttinitclose
02-22-2009, 06:19 PM

READ PEOPLE!! Good God Gurdy!!

jlawnman
02-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Echo or Stihl... do the right thing dude.. you won't regret it!

Cuttinitclose
02-22-2009, 06:25 PM

DO YOU PEOPLE NOT KNOW HOW TO READ GO TO " STIHL V. STIHL PLEASE HELP" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thank you!

Nick's Lawn Care
02-22-2009, 06:52 PM
I think you should get the FS 100 RX!!! it is a great trimmer!!!

Cuttinitclose
02-22-2009, 07:01 PM

You are all posting here to piss me off aren't you??

Nick's Lawn Care
02-22-2009, 07:06 PM
You are all posting here to piss me off aren't you??

Haha yea sorry...

Cuttinitclose
02-22-2009, 07:07 PM
:laugh:I knew you were :dancing:

12Valve
02-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Why why why do you not want to spend the a little extra $$$ and get something good

Scagguy
02-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Let's think of this in gun terms. The POS Craftsman is a BB gun. The Stihl is a 44 mag. Which would you rather have?

Cuttinitclose
02-22-2009, 11:17 PM
I got the point! READ THE THREAD B4 YOU POST!!

Ben's Landscape
02-24-2009, 07:44 PM
I would say that your best choice would be STIHL!! I personally made the MISTAKE of buying the Craftsman for my first trimmer. What a piece of junk!!! I bought it in may and by July it was dead!! I was only takeing care of 3 lawns to. Then I bought the STIHL (FS 55 RC)(light commercial model) four years ago and that is still running. It was used commercially on my now bigger business of 10 lawns a week and still starts with one pull!!! GO WITH STIHL!!!!

hockeypro1411
02-24-2009, 08:33 PM
I'd honestly get the Echo SRM-210. Commercial quality, great power to weight ratio, takes very little effort to start, and comes in around $200.

LALawnboy
02-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Don't mean to come off as a complete prick, but how many question threads or polls are you going to post on this site? Have you been able to make one decision without first checking what everyone else on here thinks? If you really need to know which you should buy, whether it be Crapsman vs. Stihl or homeowner grade Stihl vs. pro model Stihl, I think you may be in over your head.

DT Lawn Care
02-24-2009, 11:50 PM
Stihl PERIOD

Grits
02-24-2009, 11:58 PM
Are you fncking serious? What has this site become? How are all the fly-by-nights finding this forum? Lawnsite should back down a little on the SEO, make it a little harder to find.

You could have at least posted this in the "starting a biz" category.

Lazer_Z
02-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Cuttin, What is this the 10th maybe 12th thread of yours ON THE SAME SUBJECT? Dude, do your self a favor and go down to your local Stihl dealer and buy a KM 90 R. It's light enough and yet it's still a commercial unit & you don't have to keep removing the head of the regular FS 90 R. Don't b*tch at me either kid I read your first post and it's asinine, "Stihl vs Craftsman" give me a break.