PDA

View Full Version : trouble shooting 4 zone electric valve

bscofield07
02-22-2009, 06:10 PM
I have a 4 zone electric valve system.......when the system comes on all zone come on at once......I have replaced the sol. but still get the same results. Pls advise if you have any ideas.

DanaMac
02-22-2009, 06:13 PM
First you need to use your volt meter and see if all terminals are putting out juice at the same time, if not check and see if the solenoids are all getting juice at same time. If they are you wired it wrong.

If all terminals are send out juice, timer is fried. If all zones come on without the controller plugged in, it is a valve problem. Either they have debris, are damaged, or you have turned them on manually at the valve.

Find out if they are getting electricity first.

AI Inc
02-22-2009, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE=DanaMac;2791546]First you need to use your volt meter and see if all terminals are putting out juice at the same time, if not check and see if the solenoids are all getting juice at same time. If they are you wired it wrong.

If all terminals are send out juice, disconect a wire from controller , if you have juice clock is junk , If you dont , you have a crossed wire

Mike Leary
02-22-2009, 06:47 PM
If all terminals are send out juice, disconect a wire from controller , if you have juice clock is junk , If you dont , you have a crossed wire

Sure is nice to have you pros helping the pups.:rolleyes:

TRILAWNCARE
02-22-2009, 06:50 PM
I have a 4 zone electric valve system.......when the system comes on all zone come on at once......I have replaced the sol. but still get the same results. Pls advise if you have any ideas.

Would be helpful to know more about the system.

What make and model of controller, multi strand or single wiring going to valves, type of valves, do you have a master valve?

Is this a new install or is existing?

Don't forget the pictures.

DanaMac
02-22-2009, 06:53 PM
[QUOTE=DanaMac;2791546]First you need to use your volt meter and see if all terminals are putting out juice at the same time, if not check and see if the solenoids are all getting juice at same time. If they are you wired it wrong.

True - I should have specified unhooking the wires.

EagleLandscape
02-22-2009, 06:57 PM
could have a good master valve, and the 4 zone valves are shot. ie: no water until system on, when on = all on.

or all of the zones could be connected by piping:) (prolly not the case, but we had that happen this week). one repair was done wrong, and T'ed into the other zones pipe. both zones popped on at the same time. it took a genius to fix this problem, and he was mighty proud, and rightfully so!!

of the two companies we have bought, one had nearly all systems in perfect order, the other has endless repair/upgrade possibilities! service calls are typically 2x - 3x longer than expected because there are so many problems that were fixed haphazardly in the first place.

bscofield07
02-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Ruff ruff....................

mitchgo
02-22-2009, 08:20 PM

what the hell does that mean?
Help us out some man.

I would like to know the make/ model of the controller. MOST controllers can only support 3 valves running at a time. Some do 4.

Check your wiring at the controller first before anything. Is there a single wire going to the common port? and a single wire per zone basis on the other ports?
Or are all the zones wired into one port?

mitchgo
02-22-2009, 08:22 PM
could have a good master valve, and the 4 zone valves are shot. ie: no water until system on, when on = all on.

or all of the zones could be connected by piping:) (prolly not the case, but we had that happen this week). one repair was done wrong, and T'ed into the other zones pipe. both zones popped on at the same time. it took a genius to fix this problem, and he was mighty proud, and rightfully so!!

of the two companies we have bought, one had nearly all systems in perfect order, the other has endless repair/upgrade possibilities! service calls are typically 2x - 3x longer than expected because there are so many problems that were fixed haphazardly in the first place.

Yeah maybe someone winterized last year manually. And left all the zones manually bled on except the master valve.

EagleLandscape
02-22-2009, 08:41 PM
That sounds like what it could be. However the guy is located in Florida. I don't think they winterize there.

Sprinkus
02-22-2009, 08:46 PM

Dog chewed off the bleed screws?

Hmmm, 4 zone electric valve? Maybe it's a multizone (http://www.zoeller.com/zcopump/zcopdfdocs/FM1732.pdf) valve?