PDA

View Full Version : Cust. wants sod where dogs run !?!?

ffemtmcd
02-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Customer called and wants me to sod where the dogs have run a path around his fence. I asked if he still has the dogs (3) and he said "Of course!". I tried to explain that there's really nothing that I know of to fix the problem for good without the dogs running it back down.

Any ideas?? :confused:

I would hate to charge him for something that's not gonna stay - I will if he insists though. Thanks in advance for the help!

dKoester
02-22-2009, 09:40 PM
We put sod down on a yard and this ladys' dog ruined it with urine. Spots everywhere.

Smallaxe
02-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Find an uncultivated area that has returned to an indeginous or naturalized grass.
Rent a sod cutter and cut a thick root zone for the amount you need.

Place it without a guarantee. Have then irrigate everyday about midmorning to wash the urine. Maybe again midafternoon. Apply sugar after everymowing and leave the clippings.

So far that is the best that has been devised. Dogs and grass is a waste of time , even if - they have a large running area.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-23-2009, 06:27 PM
smallaxe has a good plan. Fully explain ramifications of re soddding a doggie-run.
No guarantee. If the customer insists, do the job in a quality manner. Then watch as the customer wastes his/her money.......(of course you told them this would be the case)

You can't have a dog and grass coexist - pick one or the other.

Barefoot James
02-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Use synthetic turf. Make a dog track.

ForeverLawn.at.the.Shore
02-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Use synthetic turf. Make a dog track.

ForeverLawn has a a synthetic turf made for dogs. k9grass.com

tombo82685
02-23-2009, 11:01 PM
the dog traffic and dog urine is going to do a number on the turf from the repeated wear and the dead urin spots from high salinity in the urine. If you want to try something im not sure if they sell bermudagrass sod down in kansas since im not from the area, but that would be the best bet. Bermudagrass is very vigorous with growth and heals very quickly, excellent for high traffic do to the stolons and rhizomes.

Smallaxe
02-25-2009, 12:34 AM
smallaxe has a good plan. Fully explain ramifications of re soddding a doggie-run.
No guarantee. If the customer insists, do the job in a quality manner. Then watch as the customer wastes his/her money.......(of course you told them this would be the case) ...

I think you just did. :)

I tend to think in the long run, some sort of astroturf would be the cheapest option - with or without dogs!?!?? Monthly isntallments for 30 years of grass?
... But then we are all out of a job.

HTLawnCare
02-25-2009, 12:12 PM
you've allready given him your disclaimer. Its not your money... sod away. Come back in a month and sod again. haha

RigglePLC
02-25-2009, 01:15 PM
If he insists on sod, be sure to keep to vigor up. Use irrigation and fertilize heavily, (charging accordingly) so that it has the fastest recuperative potential possible. Aerate and add seed often, (and charge accordingly). Use a top quality, wear resistant, vigorous, high-rhizome-type Kentucky bluegrass --like "Limousine", (and charge accordingly). For faster germination, also add a top quality dark green rye like "Zoom". Of course the urine spots will add excess fert in small spots.

Also, force the dogs to spread out the damage path. Place a lot of lawn chairs, picnic tables, bicycles and other obstructions in the path so they will have have to avoid the obstacles. Or...fence so that they will run on the left side during odd numbered weeks, giving the turf on the right side time to recover. Easier to use a radio fence system--moving the wire as needed. And maybe block their view--so they can't see the mail carrier to bark at. Build fence or plant bushes (and charge accordingly). If necessary--lay paving stones so a small path of concrete stones absorbs most of the punishment. Or...use one of the plastic egg crates sports turf stabilization systems. So the grass grows in between, but the plastic absorbs any excess wear.

tombo82685
02-25-2009, 01:34 PM
If he insists on sod, be sure to keep to vigor up. Use irrigation and fertilize heavily, (charging accordingly) so that it has the fastest recuperative potential possible. Aerate and add seed often, (and charge accordingly). Use a top quality, wear resistant, vigorous, high-rhizome-type Kentucky bluegrass --like "Limousine", (and charge accordingly). For faster germination, also add a top quality dark green rye like "Zoom". Of course the urine spots will add excess fert in small spots.

Also, force the dogs to spread out the damage path. Place a lot of lawn chairs, picnic tables, bicycles and other obstructions in the path so they will have have to avoid the obstacles. Or...fence so that they will run on the left side during odd numbered weeks, giving the turf on the right side time to recover. Easier to use a radio fence system--moving the wire as needed. And maybe block their view--so they can't see the mail carrier to bark at. Build fence or plant bushes (and charge accordingly). If necessary--lay paving stones so a small path of concrete stones absorbs most of the punishment. Or...use one of the plastic egg crates sports turf stabilization systems. So the grass grows in between, but the plastic absorbs any excess wear.

good advice, the only thing is bluegrass and rye are cool season grasses. Kansas gets scorching hott, those grasses are going to go dormant very quickly and get devastated with grey leaf spot and pythium for rye, and summer patch for bluerass add on the wear and tear and it may not look pretty. I would go with a warm season type grass like bermuda, the hotter its gets the faster it grows. Its quick healing with the stolons and rhizomes, you can also sprig in bermuda into other areas. Thr warm season grasses are C4 grasses, they photosynthesis a lot more, and they have a deeper root system then cool season grassed. Then I would take your other advice and implement it

RigglePLC
02-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks Tomboy. Right a c4 grass like a virgorous Bermuda, would do best if Bermuda can handle the winters in your area. Is the site irrigated? (besides the dogs' contribution, I mean?
If you use any perennial rye (avoid the cheap stuff) south of Chicago, be sure it is a gray leaf spot resistant type (GLR) such as "Zoom". Red thread resistance is a big help also.
http://www.sroseed.com/Products/PDF/zoom_ts.pdf

I hope this helps. Let us know how you come out.

ffemtmcd
02-26-2009, 12:41 AM
Thanks for all the help!!! I'll keep you up to date on what gets done! It's a pretty shadey back yard - the cool season grass might just work.