PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute!!!!!!

rcreech
02-22-2009, 09:10 PM
I am putting on a little training tomorrow for two guys that are going to be helping me this year and I am just now preparing for it!

I am going to keep it very informal but want to present good info and make it simple yet informative.

I want to cover:

Introduce who we are and why we are different
How we operate our business
What seperates us from our competitors
Product/Personal safety
How and why chems work
Rates and calibration
PPE
Rounds and Quality of product/product timing
Quality

Any other topics that should be covered?

Do you guys have anything that you use to do this? I have a 50 page safety training guide from ODA I am going to use plus a few other little things.

Do you guys have any ideas or examples of what you have used?

JB1
02-22-2009, 09:18 PM
what about how to talk with customers, sounds simple, but you know.......................

cod8825
02-22-2009, 09:40 PM
If you have not already in the interview please please your expectations of them timeliness, respectfulness, communications, and maybe what your plans are for the year. Don't give them any false hopes. That was one of the biggest things that made we go into business for myself. I never saw any hope for promotion or such.

PSUTURFGEEK
02-22-2009, 10:24 PM
It looks like you covered alot, the only things I would add are.

1. Appearance, as you know your company and word of mouth is totally driven on this.

2. Truly understanding Labels, this is one thing I have found very important, not only mixing correctly but also in the possibility of that employee having to deal with the department of Ag. while in the field. I say this because it can truly save you money in fines.

phasthound
02-22-2009, 10:40 PM
what about how to talk with customers, sounds simple, but you know.......................

I had an employee once who would knock on the door and say, "WE'RE HERE TO KILL THE BUGS!!". :dizzy:

ted putnam
02-23-2009, 12:14 AM
I had an employee once who would knock on the door and say, "WE'RE HERE TO KILL THE BUGS!!". :dizzy:

So you're about to sign on your first hired hands?....Prepare to enter the Twilight Zone :dizzy::hammerhead::laugh:

ted putnam
02-23-2009, 12:15 AM
Meant to post Creech's quote...sorry.

rcreech
02-23-2009, 12:51 AM
Meant to post Creech's quote...sorry.

Hey Ted!

Yep....I guess!

Only good thing is I am looking at adding a couple retired guys from GM.

They are in their mid 50's...just looking for some side work.

They don't need 40 hours a week, benefits or for me to support their family.

Kinda nice because on the rainy days or during slow times they don't work...but if it is nice out and I need them but they want to go fishing, they can (I told them the street will go both ways)!

It is going to work out pretty good I think!

Shouldn't be too bad I dont' think!

JB1
02-23-2009, 08:03 AM

now thats funny.

Turfdoctor1
02-23-2009, 08:52 AM
I am putting on a little training tomorrow for two guys that are going to be helping me this year and I am just now preparing for it!

I am going to keep it very informal but want to present good info and make it simple yet informative.

I want to cover:

Introduce who we are and why we are different
How we operate our business
What seperates us from our competitors
Product/Personal safety
How and why chems work
Rates and calibration
PPE
Rounds and Quality of product/product timing
Quality

Any other topics that should be covered?

Do you guys have anything that you use to do this? I have a 50 page safety training guide from ODA I am going to use plus a few other little things.

Do you guys have any ideas or examples of what you have used?

i have no employees, but if I did, I would want them to get used to certain terminology. Such as, never use the word "poison, chemical, weed killer, etc." Instead use words such as, "product, and weed control."

may be simple, but something I would want my employees to relate while in the field.

n-green
02-23-2009, 09:10 AM
They should assume that someone is always watching what they do.

ted putnam
02-23-2009, 11:42 AM
i have no employees, but if I did, I would want them to get used to certain terminology. Such as, never use the word "poison, chemical, weed killer, etc." Instead use words such as, "product, and weed control."

may be simple, but something I would want my employees to relate while in the field.

Exactly Turfdoc. Be sure to drill that in to their heads Creech. I have the same situation as you Creech. My two guys work 24-32 hrs per week. sometimes less, depending on weather. Neither one need the job just the extra money. It works out very well for all of us.

Ric
02-23-2009, 01:00 PM
rcreech

Fla Law requires 5 days training before sending a tech out on his own. IMHO that is not enough, but given that you are not hiring photographic memories, I would caution you to not try and feed too much information at any one time. Sure it is simple stuff to you, but they know nothing and have a learning curve. Tell them what you are going to tell them. Then tell them. Then tell them what you told them. Review and repeat until they are sick of hearing it. When I taught I tried to either find or make up humorous or interesting stories that made my point to reinforce important points. Roll playing can be both fun and an excellent training. Showing them what not to say to a customer and it can be both a great laugh and valuable tool. By making it interesting and fun you get better retention and personal respect from your employees. This opens the door to a trust where they are more likely to tell you events of their day that are important for you to know or repair. I find training done it a light hearted manner is more effective than trying to be Mr Strict.

Last but not least tell them to never try and guess or BS a customer. It is OK to tell a customer "I don't know" but be sure to add "But I will find out for you". If you do it right the employee will have the highest respect for you and pass that attitude on to the customer.

matt10486
02-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Go over dress code, I have seen this same Landscaping Co. for the past two years now and their workers look like thugs, pants down to their knees, its a disaster.

Green Up
02-23-2009, 04:24 PM
I would try to explain to them the importance of doing a good job and being honest. The longer you work with them the more they will pick the other up. It is very hard to work someone that does not get this concept. I would also make sure that I reviewed the lables on a few chemicals and explain the importance of reading the labels first. It is very important to explain that safety is first. Protect your self and the property of others.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-23-2009, 04:31 PM
No smoking in front of customres and never throw the but on the lawn
no taking a leak on the customres mailbox