PDA

View Full Version : Dovetails, need some help guys....

DavisLawn
02-22-2009, 10:21 PM
im going to buy a box van to work out of this year and i want to put a dovetail on the back of it... anybody know where i can get one made in the south and about how much they cost? All help is appreciated.

DavisLawn
02-23-2009, 09:00 AM
bump...anybody ????????

slc12345
02-23-2009, 12:36 PM
If you check online and type in gates for vans they will come up. I know you can get the dovetail with ramps for about $1,300.00.

DavisLawn
02-23-2009, 06:41 PM
thanks man... i tried it and all i could find was the USA ramps ... i'd rather just have a dovetail and gate but cant find anything on them. Anybody else got any idea?

Gravel Rat
02-23-2009, 09:01 PM
A good welding shop in your area can build what ever you want just keep in mind new steel prices are pretty high still. Another thing to keep in mind if you add a dovetail to a van body you may get too much overhang. Better check the laws in your area on how much overhang on the rear you are allowed to have.

DavisLawn
02-23-2009, 09:05 PM
A good welding shop in your area can build what ever you want just keep in mind new steel prices are pretty high still. Another thing to keep in mind if you add a dovetail to a van body you may get too much overhang. Better check the laws in your area on how much overhang on the rear you are allowed to have.

so you think i'd be safer with the ramps that fold up against the cab? i know the USA ramps are about 1400 bucks.

Gravel Rat
02-23-2009, 09:12 PM
You can have a short dovetail with ramps on the end of the dovetail.

The overhang will become a real problem if you use a cabover with a cube van because most of these trucks already have a decent amount of overhang with the van. When you look at the side of the truck you look at how much of the van body is behind the rear wheels.

Atlantic Lawn
02-27-2009, 07:01 PM
I bought steel for our ramp/dovetail and gate the other day ran me about $550.00. Figure 300-500 for labor, depending on who you find to weld for you. PM me for material list if you want it. Steve