02-22-2009, 10:36 PM
How do you guys price the following services
New Beds installs
plants/trees/flowers/anything you put out
mulch/cleaning out beds
edging
spraying
pine strap

any and all of the landscaping services you offer how do you do the pricing wheather you mark up material cost well how much for each and do you do by hour to just explain to me your basic landscaping prices

thanks

merrimacmill
02-23-2009, 12:02 AM
By figuring out your time/materials the job will require and also how much you need to make an hour to remain profitable.

1. Measure everything out. Figure how much loam, mulch, and plant stock you need and how much all that will cost. Estimate how much time the job will require, and multiply that with your hourly rate that you figure out. (Around here it is $60-100 per person)

ex.
Loam=2 yards at $14 a yard=$28
Mulch=1 yard at $35 a yard=$35
Plant Stock=$225
Labor est=5 hours at $60 an hour=300

TOTAL PROJECT COST = $588.00

2. Not sure what you mean by put out? But I'm guessing you mean install. Depending on what kind of plant it is, I generally double-triple the cost of the plant. This really depends though. If you have a plant that cost $300 and it is the same size and weight as another species plant that cost $100 then its hard to charge $200 for the install of one and $600 for the install of the other.

3. I do mulch by the yard. It is easier that way. I include in my price edging, cleaning out, spreading, and the material. At around $100 a yard for nice hemlock mulch. I got this by taking the average time it takes to spread a yard of mulch, the average time it takes to weed a bed of 100 or so sq ft, and the average time it takes to edge an area that one yard of mulch would fill, and how much time/gas it will take to haul it to the site. Every job is different and this is very rough, but seems to work fine for me.

4. Bed edging is generally including in my mulch pricing, but if its not then I do it by the foot. Depending on the job situation I'm at $.50 to $1.00 a linear foot.

I don't do the last two so you'll have to wait for someone else to chime in on this. But I have a feeling it will be hard for you to get a lot of people jumping all over helping on this. People seem to hate to give out prices and explanations. And I'm guessing your starting out? I know how it can be somewhat daunting figuring all the various ways of pricing out, so I really don't mind. Any other questions that I might be able to help you with feel free to send me a pm.

Hope that helped and good luck!

LKNBigFish
02-23-2009, 07:29 PM
I price most everything based on between $40-$60 an hour depending on many things including the area and how much I like/dislike a task to name a few.

kudos on the response merrimacmill, I read the topic and expected more negative posts.

Sweet Tater
02-23-2009, 07:35 PM
I price most everything based on between $40-$60 an hour depending on many things including the area and how much I like/dislike a task to name a few.

I hate to admit it but I do the very same thing, but it works very well in my area and everyone seems to be happy with my prices

merrimacmill
02-23-2009, 08:34 PM
kudos on the response merrimacmill, I read the topic and expected more negative posts.

Thanks, I'm also surprised this thread hasn't been bombarded with negative posts. I thought I needed to get in there give him some real information before they got to it lol. I remember when I was in his position; we all were!

Fuller Lawn Care
02-23-2009, 10:42 PM
thank yall for the good answers and not bashing me like some other people i have seen on his site

Fuller Lawn Care
02-23-2009, 10:44 PM
ex.
Loam=2 yards at $14 a yard=$28
Mulch=1 yard at $35 a yard=$35
Plant Stock=$225
Labor est=5 hours at $60 an hour=300

TOTAL PROJECT COST = $588.00

What ia Loam i am sorry if this is a stupid queston just trying to become more familiar with landscape installs

merrimacmill
02-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Loam is a type of soil that has about the same amount of sand, silt, and clay in it. It is used as the top dress soil layer in new lawns, planting beds, etc.

addictedtolandscaping
02-24-2009, 06:22 AM
NIce job, I agree I thought he was going to get blasted as well. I handle things that exact same way, and as you I remember well what it was like. This will help him get established and it will keep him from becoming a low baller and losing his hat. Nice job

Stillwater
02-24-2009, 06:36 AM
thank yall for the good answers and not bashing me like some other people i have seen on his site

We haven't had our coffee yet,

Malm's Lawn&Pest Control
02-25-2009, 10:51 PM
good explanation

jwalker17
03-14-2009, 05:49 PM
We haven't had our coffee yet,

lol well said.