PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper ads

lawnsaspire
02-23-2009, 12:47 AM
Do newspaper ads work for anyone?

lawnpro724
02-23-2009, 01:12 AM
It really depends on how big of a town you live in. Around here newspaper ads work very well but I have heard from several people on here that are in larger cities that said they don't work at all. The same can be said for yellow pages. Smaller communities tend to get much better responses with newspaper and yellow pages and larger cities do better with web pages and internet advertising.

Ultimate-Lawn-Care
02-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Wondering the same thing myself! Thanks!

rnd
02-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Classifieds fine, display ads no. Go to RNDSIGNS.COM (http://rndsigns.com)to see hundreds of advertising ideas from green industry companies from all over the U.S.Request a FREE marketing handbook. See layout ideas, photography and online pricing.

bohiaa
02-24-2009, 02:17 PM
seems like in the larger markets you really have to stand out,

may wanna use colored ink

Sweet Tater
02-24-2009, 08:26 PM
I have run ads in two different local papers, I have gotten enough work from them to make it worthwhile to place the ads, but it is not the best way imo, word of moth is the unchallenged #1 advertisment there is

lawnpro724
02-24-2009, 10:52 PM
I have run ads in two different local papers, I have gotten enough work from them to make it worthwhile to place the ads, but it is not the best way imo, word of moth is the unchallenged #1 advertisment there is

Word of mouth advertising only works once you have an established business thats been doing quality work and been around for awhile. New businesses need to advertise to gain customers

grincon
02-24-2009, 11:14 PM
I run an ad year round in local paper and it seems to do ok. Word of mouth, even better. One new account pays for a year of advertising.

elite lawns
02-25-2009, 02:17 AM
Ad seem to work good here in a small town

dKoester
02-25-2009, 03:31 AM
Use a nice professionaly designed open house sign at the entrance of a neighbor hood followed by a well designed door hanger. It gets their attention. People always want to know whats going on.

bohiaa
02-25-2009, 10:17 AM
Word of mouth advertising only works once you have an established business thats been doing quality work and been around for awhile. New businesses need to advertise to gain customers

Not always true, what I have found is that People Just dont know anyone.

Lets face it, if you had to get an attorney tomorrow, do you know one ?

is he good ? will he screw you? same goes for everythign else. what about a plumer?

everyone knows some one with grass, they simply do, everyone has a mother, father, friend. just do a good job, and then ask.

it never hurts to ask.

I have 23 accounts now from word of mouth. if you let it, it will spread like wildfire.

Best of luck

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-26-2009, 01:06 AM
I do biz in a small town (6K people) and run ads in the local paper. Have gotten work from the ads. So, its worth it.

Don't rely on only ads though. Diversify your marketing efforts, then when you figure out what works best, you can narrow it down.

ambersLawnmowing
02-26-2009, 02:32 AM
2 years ago started on Craigslist.... last year and this year will also post an ad up in the services part. there are always so many. What you do is to make sure you type in every little town you work in that way you come up in the google ads..LOL and yes i do also turn to the paper. The paper here is spendy to put an ad in so i run one alittle closer to spring, when people are thinking about it...

Dwights
02-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Last Year Dwights Lawn service Posted in a same paper inside the paper in rutherford county Tn. Got a few est and a few yards. But got a lot of price shopping. People who were paying a great price. But they wanted more for less. At the time gas was $4.00 a gal and i burned up a lot of money. But I still try to do my estimates as soon as i can at a fair price. And I always plan todo a little more for the job, my sons always going why dad. Because someone else wil,and I'm working.

KensLawnCare
03-03-2009, 10:53 AM
ive been getting a few accounts of craigslist and the best thing its free advertisment

jsw2008
03-03-2009, 03:14 PM
I've tried craigslist, but never had any luck with it. The newspaper has worked for me in the past. I really depends on which newspaper you use. We have several small ones in my area, and the difference between them is night and day. One of them gets almost 100% of the calls I get turned into new accounts. Then there's another that gets a lot of price checkers.

KensLawnCare
03-03-2009, 03:19 PM
i was thinking the newspaper but they went up again to 247.00 a month from 214.00 or close to it rippoff

Dwights
03-03-2009, 03:35 PM
I thinking hard of going with yahoo local Dwights lawn cutting service has there free add for murfreesboro Tn,Smyrna Tn,and Rockvale Tn. There under $10.00 a month for a priority listing which puts in the top. Good price and I tested there link its good. It seems to come up alot. You type Dwights lawn cutting service, Dwight lawn service,Dwights lawn care it comes up. Also lawncare directory offers a great deal $59.00 f0r 6 months and prem listing a little over $100.00 for life great deal.