PDA

View Full Version : Plan using RIDE ON SPRAYER/ SPREADER - INPUT?

FIRESCOOBY
02-23-2009, 12:39 AM
I currently sub lawn treatments out for my customers. Almost all of them dropped them due to being un happy for various reasons. There were valid reason...no results.

I've been contemplating doing apps for 2-3 years now. Haven't got my certs yet, but have taken the classes. WOULD get the cert before doing any of course.

MY PLAN:
Purchase plain white regular cab long wheelbase truck. Either use a ramp system to put machine in bed, or get a hitch hauler type mount for the sprayer. If I did the tailgate mount idea, I'd put a camper top on the truck to keep supplies dry and safe. This would be operated by me and/or another employee. Mostly one employee.

Figure this truck can go a little farther our than I do mowing looking for business.

Questions:

How does this plan sound?

Which machines are best? Perme Green, Lesco, LT Rich Products, C&SB Turf Care, or any others. How do they compare productivity wise, reliability, price, etc.

Thanks in advance

ZSpray Info
02-23-2009, 04:18 PM
I am surprised that you have not received several responses. If you would like, give us a call and we can go over some aspects of our machines.

877-482-2040

Rayholio
02-23-2009, 04:35 PM
I like Izusu NPR type box trucks or equivilant.. They will cost you a LOT less than a 'flashy' full sized truck, they will carry a LOT more, they will pull more, they will drive 300,000 miles with minimal maintenance, and you can park your brand new Z spray in the back right next to a few pallets of fert :) ;)

As far as a sprayer goes.. I just baught a Z... havn't even gotten it yet.. I'm looking forward to it, but you should test drive all you can, and pick your favorite.

FIRESCOOBY
02-23-2009, 05:37 PM
I like Izusu NPR type box trucks or equivilant.. They will cost you a LOT less than a 'flashy' full sized truck, they will carry a LOT more, they will pull more, they will drive 300,000 miles with minimal maintenance, and you can park your brand new Z spray in the back right next to a few pallets of fert :) ;)

As far as a sprayer goes.. I just baught a Z... havn't even gotten it yet.. I'm looking forward to it, but you should test drive all you can, and pick your favorite.

Really? I can get a 1/2 ton longbed regular cab truck used for about $3k.

I don't wanna invest in a NPR for hauling a spray vehicle. Don't wanna use an NPR or any other vehicle to haul spray vehicle AND mowers. This would be a separate vehicle.

turfcobob
02-23-2009, 06:18 PM
You can go to Turfco.com and see our spray / spread applicator in action. Or Call 1800-679-8201 and they will send you info and video. I will be glad to answer any and all questions you may have also. Just drop me a note or call 402-783-2028.

You may want to think the vehicle thing through a little. How many lawns you want to do day and how many trips you want to make back to the shop to re-supply.
40 bags of fertilizer at 50 lbs a bag is 2000 pounds
100 gallon of water at 8 lbs per gallon is 800 pounds
one sprayer applicator unit empty 500 Pounds
You are now up to 3300 pounds

Your alternative is to carry less water and fert and make lots of trips to resupply. The cost of gas and lost time would probably pay for a bigger better truck.

Rayholio
02-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Really? I can get a 1/2 ton longbed regular cab truck used for about $3k.

I don't wanna invest in a NPR for hauling a spray vehicle. Don't wanna use an NPR or any other vehicle to haul spray vehicle AND mowers. This would be a separate vehicle.

Yeah.. You can't get by with a half ton... but you CAN buy an older isuzu for under $3000.. I see them all the time.. and I've rarely even seen a half ton go for less than 3k.. unless its from the 80s with 200k on it..

When I was shopping, a 2006 1 ton or even 3/4 ton pickup was around 36K.. and the 2006 NPR I purchased was 24K with a 16 foot box, and 2500 lb lift gate.. at this very moment it has a 300 gallon sprayer, 4 pallets of fert, and all the gear I need to work for days without resupply all on board.. No one ton can do that without a trailer. :)

FIRESCOOBY
02-23-2009, 06:23 PM
You can go to Turfco.com and see our spray / spread applicator in action. Or Call 1800-679-8201 and they will send you info and video. I will be glad to answer any and all questions you may have also. Just drop me a note or call 402-783-2028.

You may want to think the vehicle thing through a little. How many lawns you want to do day and how many trips you want to make back to the shop to re-supply.
40 bags of fertilizer at 50 lbs a bag is 2000 pounds
100 gallon of water at 8 lbs per gallon is 800 pounds
one sprayer applicator unit empty 500 Pounds
You are now up to 3300 pounds

Your alternative is to carry less water and fert and make lots of trips to resupply. The cost of gas and lost time would probably pay for a bigger better truck.

Yeah, thought about that after the fact. May even consider a trailer to haul the sprayer and some supplies.

rcreech
02-23-2009, 06:35 PM
A good 3/4 pickup is going to cost you a good $8-10, but that sounds like a good way to go if you are smaller.

I would look for a good used PG Magnum with low hours. I have seen PG's on ebay with less then 100 hours sell for 4K.

That is a cheap ride, will fit on the carrier rack and they work great!

If going with a pickup I would recommend a carrier rack! Trailers suck IMO!

I just swithced to a Z Spray and box truck...but I am not sure I would start out with that kind of investment if I were you!

RABBITMAN11
02-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Come on Rod why not go all out! By the way, I took my truck to get a price on lettering today they told me about 1000-1500 lettered not even wrapped!

SpreadNSpray
02-23-2009, 07:25 PM
I can't wait to see both your box trucks lettered up!

rcreech
02-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Come on Rod why not go all out! By the way, I took my truck to get a price on lettering today they told me about 1000-1500 lettered not even wrapped!

That's probably about right! I was quoted $1200 for lettering...so that is why I decided to spend the extra!

Why not make it look 2x better for just another $700?

Wrapping looks a lot more professional IMO!

PM me if you want and I can get you the info for my place. If it is too far for you...maybe they can recommend someone good up your way.

Just let me know!

brizine
02-23-2009, 07:51 PM
I have an 2005 2500hd duramax reg cab completely outfited with everything including permagreen magnum for sale. Check it out.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=260757

Brian

Real Green
02-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Hey FIRESCOOBY! If you want to give me a call at 302-697-2200, I can talk to you about what units we have used and what we use now. If you want to know more about our unit of choice, you can click this link here (http://www.lawnandlandscape.com/Article.aspx?article_id=9131) and read about it. Take care!

Matt

FIRESCOOBY
02-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Hey FIRESCOOBY! If you want to give me a call at 302-697-2200, I can talk to you about what units we have used and what we use now. If you want to know more about our unit of choice, you can click this link here (http://www.lawnandlandscape.com/Article.aspx?article_id=9131) and read about it. Take care!

Matt

Yeah, I read that article in print.