PDA

View Full Version : What basic equipment do i need to restart my lawn care business?

Zkemp1990
02-23-2009, 03:53 AM
I own a 3 year old lawn care business but after after returning from vacation i noticed that all my equipment was stolen. Its been over 6 months since i lost everything and im trying to start over. what equipment should i have to get back on my feet? I only have 13 small/med sized yards and 1 estate sized yard and im limited on money. can someone please help me out?
Thanks,
Zach Kemp

topsites
02-23-2009, 04:09 AM
At first I wondered if this is some kind of a sick joke, here you claim you have
been running a business for 3 years yet you can't remember the tools you need?

Comes back from a vacation, finds everything stolen, does nothing for 6 months...!

Then I realized, it's probably you were never really serious about it,
which even now it sounds like your heart is about half into it,
so in either case my advice would be a waste of my time.

Reliable Lawn Care
02-23-2009, 01:29 PM
I own a 3 year old lawn care business but after after returning from vacation i noticed that all my equipment was stolen. Its been over 6 months since i lost everything and im trying to start over. what equipment should i have to get back on my feet? I only have 13 small/med sized yards and 1 estate sized yard and im limited on money. can someone please help me out?
Thanks,
Zach Kemp

You will need everything you filed on the police report. Hope this helps.

JB1
02-23-2009, 01:36 PM
one medium sized mower and medium size string trimmer and a good broom.

Zkemp1990
02-23-2009, 03:38 PM
I had to wait 6 months becouse ive been savin money to get equipment.

LKNBigFish
02-23-2009, 08:50 PM
mower,trimmer,broom/blower

Hoots
02-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Scissors, lighter fluid, 3 washers and water proof matches.

Like reliable said what you had before, get it again. If you can't remeber what you had, how do you remember you had 13 lawns and where they are.

Bummer you had your equipment stolen, but with that few yards, would it be worth it to get back into it?

billslawn89
02-23-2009, 10:18 PM
what?

you're kidding, right?

:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

jzeller79
02-23-2009, 10:44 PM
wow!!! thats all i can say, i would start by finding a job you may know something
about. obviously lawn care is not for you. three years of business you should know what you need.

d&rlawncare
02-23-2009, 10:49 PM
His stuff was not stolen he just can't remember were it is at.

jblawns123
02-23-2009, 10:52 PM
Really?....................

Really?????......:confused:

jzeller79
02-23-2009, 11:25 PM
LoL !!!!!!!!!

jzeller79
02-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Dude where's my car ????? LOL !!!!!

dwight1moore
02-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Where's your car Dude? lol

jzeller79
02-23-2009, 11:49 PM
I think it was stolen, No that was my lawn mower !!! never mind..... LOL!!!!!

Monroe74
02-23-2009, 11:54 PM
I would go to the wizard of OZ
If i only had a brain

jzeller79
02-23-2009, 11:54 PM
A goat and a scoop shovel, thats all you need in the lawn care business.
Thats always easy to remember. LOL!!!!!!!!!

keller's
02-24-2009, 12:04 AM
Take your check from the insurance and buy an alarm system. You do have Insurance?

FairGreen Inc.
02-24-2009, 10:47 AM
LOL You guys are too much.

I don't think he had a business to begin with. Who doesn't know what they need.

Maybe he just got Internet and is trying to find ways to waste people's time.

Reliable Lawn Care
02-24-2009, 10:51 AM
His stuff was not stolen he just can't remember were it is at.

Now that is funny !

KS_Grasscutter
02-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Ummmm...if I had to guess, I would probably go out on a limb here and say you would need the same equipment as what got stolen... If it was me, I would get a 48" Walker and a 21" Husqvarna. Also get a 2401 Redmax trimmer, and a Redmax edger and backpack blower.

Zkemp1990
02-25-2009, 12:36 AM
i got all the equipment and lawns from my dad when he quit mowing. thats why i dont know alot about starting from scratch. all i knew was how to work the equipment and maintain it. i didnt know everything my its name.

kmclawn
02-25-2009, 01:13 PM
The question sounds more like someone who wants to get into the business more than one who has been into the business for 3 years. My 16 year old son could tell you every piece of equipment I own and brand name, type of fuel used and string size for each trimmer. If you are wanting advice to start a business just ask but don't try to sound like you have been doing this for 3 years.

Zkemp1990
02-25-2009, 02:07 PM
I came to this site for advise so if everyones just gonna talk S**T about me then dont reply. i know what i have did so say what you want i guess.

punt66
02-25-2009, 02:21 PM
I came to this site for advise so if everyones just gonna talk S**T about me then dont reply. i know what i have did so say what you want i guess.

If you been doing this 3 years and dont know what you need then i suggest doing something else.

grincon
02-25-2009, 02:39 PM
I needed a good laugh, thanks Lol

kmclawn
02-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks,
Zach Kemp

I don't think most of the posts are to be-little you but read your post over a few times and think of what you are asking.

1."You have been running a lawn business for 3 years and all of your equipment has been stolen". That is a bad thing to happen but it does happen.

2. "It has been 6 months since it happened". How did you finish your customers last season without equipment? My last fall cleanup was November 11th. I live in NW Minnesota about 60 miles from the Canadian border.

3. "What equipment do I need to get back on my feet?" You will know better than anyone. This question is pointless due to the fact nobody knows what you are mowing. The equipment that was stolen, is what you should be replacing because it worked for you. In the 3 years you have been in the business, you should have an idea if you need to go with bigger or smaller equipment based on your properties. The equipment I own might not work for your properties and vise versa.

4."I have 13 small/medium size yards". Are you sure? If you didn't finish them last year they may be gone.

5."I'm limited on money". Did you have your business equipment insured? That money should have been rolled back into the business to purchase more equipment and to keep your customers.

Again, the replies are just based on the question.

jzeller79
02-26-2009, 03:23 PM

if your going to lie (DON'T POST) we can only help with truth.

Zkemp1990
02-26-2009, 06:49 PM
a buddy of mine has tookin over my yards till i get back on my feet.

MortonLawn
02-28-2009, 11:17 AM
my favorite by far was the one who told you to read the police report :laugh:

detroitjoker
02-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Ummmmmmmmmm, I hate to say it pal, but this guy probably took your accounts as well. If they didnt, I dont suspect you will have them long. Sorry about your luck dude.

GriffinLawnService
03-01-2009, 12:26 PM
yeah I wouldnt expect for "your buddy" to give your accounts back.

DynaMow
03-01-2009, 12:49 PM
this is the funniest thread I have ever read, and I have read a lot!!

supercuts
03-01-2009, 12:51 PM
My 16 year old son could tell you every piece of equipment I own and brand name, type of fuel used and string size for each trimmer.

my 2 1/2 year old can tell you which is my scag, bobcat, and kubota. he also knows they take fuel. when he figures out this internet thing ill have him throw some help your way.

dude.....wheres your car??....we already pulled over, we cant pull over any more

supercuts
03-01-2009, 12:53 PM
did anyone ask if he had insurance or we all just assuming he wasnt legit because....well......

LB1234
03-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Besides all the other stuff that was said, why the heck are you waiting till march to do anything about it?

grincon
03-01-2009, 01:43 PM
"wheres your car dude?" lol

TGM
03-01-2009, 01:49 PM
my "fully insured" also includes EQUIPMENT THEFT

:hammerhead:

DynaMow
03-01-2009, 02:19 PM
okay all kidding aside.

A mower (the thing that cuts the grass), a trimmer (a piece of equipment that will trim around items), a blower (used to blow debris off of hard surfaces), a edger (to edge between walks/drive and turf), a gas can (carries around extra fuel for your equipment), Shirt (looks more professional), pants (a must have), socks (to keep the feet dry), shoes (so to not look like a hillbilly), hat (optional), truck (to pull around equipment), truck (to pull trailer).

Tommy Boy
03-01-2009, 05:23 PM
okay all kidding aside.

A mower (the thing that cuts the grass), a trimmer (a piece of equipment that will trim around items), a blower (used to blow debris off of hard surfaces), a edger (to edge between walks/drive and turf), a gas can (carries around extra fuel for your equipment), Shirt (looks more professional), pants (a must have), socks (to keep the feet dry), shoes (so to not look like a hillbilly), hat (optional), truck (to pull around equipment), truck (to pull trailer).

Ok what happened to the trailer? or was it in the truck. I hope the original poster isn't offended by our remarks, we can all tell you what we have and where it is on any given truck or trailer.

Your gear is gone (So no maintenance on anything for 6 months) Your accounts are gone (Great Buddy) Now you need equipment list for starting up again, what are you thinking. If your are new just say so and we can all help a new guy, but 3 years and you have to ask....

Come on Francis... get a life

kmclawn
03-01-2009, 05:52 PM
my 2 1/2 year old can tell you which is my scag, bobcat, and kubota. he also knows they take fuel. when he figures out this internet thing ill have him throw some help your way.

dude.....wheres your car??....we already pulled over, we cant pull over any more

LOL, At 2 1/2 years old is a good time to start working with your kids. Teach them the importance of a good work ethics and they will go far in life. My son at age 16, already has 10 of his own properties he mows in the summer for his own spending money, the rest of the time he works for me. At least he knows what he would have to replace if his equipment was ever stolen. As far as the internet thing, he is already taking college courses for computer programming, and is CISCO certified, so thanks for the offer but I am pretty well covered.

JohnnyCuts
03-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Hey Zach,
I'm just north of you near Williamsburg. How big is the estate yard, do you have a truck/trailer etc, and how much can you spend?

Lucky Star Lawn Care
03-02-2009, 04:50 AM
A clue and maybe some common sense... :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

Sturob
03-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Buy everything that you filed on your insurance claim!! If no insurance, sorry.

Zkemp1990
03-02-2009, 11:35 PM
ive got a 98 chevy 1500 and just bought a traler and edger, im using my old weedeater and i have a self propelled push mower. the estate size lawn is about 3 and a half acres. i have about 500 dollars left to spend.

Erik Kuijvenhoven
03-03-2009, 12:31 AM
3 and a half acres with a self propelled 21"

Cosmic Hippo
03-03-2009, 04:06 AM
Z...

I just posted a thread complaining about some of the negativity that exists on this site. You, my friend, have really hurt my case. :-). I mean...hell...man...never mind.

I do hope things work out for you, I really do, but...

...anyway, good luck to you.

ok, goodnight my fellow mower peoples...

I read this thread at about 3:00am so you can imagine my bewildered confusion at the moment.

The Hippo sleeps.

Lucky Star Lawn Care
03-03-2009, 06:54 AM
ive got a 98 chevy 1500 and just bought a traler and edger, im using my old weedeater and i have a self propelled push mower. the estate size lawn is about 3 and a half acres. i have about 500 dollars left to spend.

Why did you buy a trailer? A 21" pushmower for 3 1/2 acres :laugh::hammerhead:
Take that trailer back or sell it get rid of the pushmower and take that $500 and go get a used walkbehind and some ramps and haul it in the back of your truck

supercuts
03-03-2009, 07:57 AM
i have about 500 dollars left to spend.

id take the $500 and invest in GM or Chrysler stock, because by the sound of it, your just going to make a bad descion anyway.

go find a nice used walkbehind

JohnnyCuts
03-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Ok Z this is what I would do if it was me. I'd either dump the estate or try to find a way to come up with some cash quick. To come up with the cash I would get about 3000 flyers made up advertising spring cleanups/aerations/mulch installs etc. and pass them out in the nicest neighborhoods in town. Meanwhile learn as much as I could about pricing and doing these services. You could realistically get about 20 jobs off this and maybe net a couple grand before mowing season. Then reevaluate your needs.

Grits
03-04-2009, 12:16 AM
a buddy of mine has tookin over my yards till i get back on my feet.

Maybe your buddy has your equipment along with your accounts.

Sammy
03-05-2009, 06:42 AM
He never said he had been doing it for 3 years. He said he owned a lawn biz that was 3 years old that his father had givin to him.

Zach Kemp, have you talked to your father about this ?

punt66
03-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Thats not what his post says.

THE GREEN TEAM L&S
03-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Wow, I'm new to this site and was going to ask some questions, but after reading some of the responses to zkemp1990 I'm scared!!!!Not really, maybe he just wants to know the least equip he can get by with to just get going? HOWEVER I'm also sorta new and even I know what I needed to start out,mowers,hedgers,trimmers,blowers,rakes,wheelbarrows,trucks,weedwacker etc....

punt66
03-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Wow, I'm new to this site and was going to ask some questions, but after reading some of the responses to zkemp1990 I'm scared!!!!Not really, maybe he just wants to know the least equip he can get by with to just get going? HOWEVER I'm also sorta new and even I know what I needed to start out,mowers,hedgers,trimmers,blowers,rakes,wheelbarrows,trucks,weedwacker etc....

People on here including me are more than willing to help newbies. I have helped many, i have shared excell sheets for their route templets and many other things. But if you come on here with BS and its obvious he isnt starting with the truth you will get hammered. Just be honest and the pros will help.

THE GREEN TEAM L&S
03-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Okay it's me again and yes you are correct,he's not being honest or whatever,even I know what I need, My partner and I, (my husband) started out w/ plowing and are going into Lawn-Care this season,we played around with it last season or two,next door mowing,helping out friends,etc..now this year we are serious,we need to know how to write up different packages,how to price them, by the time involved by the size of the property,obviously work involved and so on,your basic mowing,trimming,edging,etc.. I like this site and have lots of questions Look forward to learning from the best of you!!! Thanks Sue

kmclawn
03-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Welcome to the site. As stated before there are alot of people on here to help.

ambersLawnmowing
03-07-2009, 05:53 PM
3 and a half acres with a 21 push mower? WOW, i dont think i could talk my mexi helper into that..LOL Bets of luck to ya kid. My fully insured also means equipment theft coverage.. Thats the first thing i would have bought.

DillonsLawnCare
03-08-2009, 11:39 AM
what is going on here??

JB1
03-08-2009, 11:54 AM
what is going on here??

from what I can tell, somebody got their panties in a wad.