PDA

View Full Version : Irrigation, sod, and herbicides?

HLM86
02-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Looking for some help here. We are to install irrigation and St. Augustine sod on a yard that is mostly weeds and crabgrass. Pre m needs to be applied now but we are to start irrigation in 2 weeks. Is this safe....us working in the dirt the chemical is in, and putting in pipe the water is going through (backflow preventer, but I'm still concerned)? Also sod will be installed in late March/Early April, how will chemicals affect this? We need to keep weeds and crabgrass form taking over our sod. Thanks for any help.

Kiril
02-23-2009, 12:08 PM
IMO, applying a PreM in this situation is a waste-o-money and not needed given the amount of disturbance that will most likely occur. If you want to keep seeds from germinating, mulch it with compost. This serves two purposes ....

1) weed control
2) adds OM which is most likely needed.

olive123
02-23-2009, 05:59 PM
why would you prem if you are tearing into soil? This is senseless. Just roundup
a couple of times over the course when needed that st aug. will be thick enough to supress until you can treat in a safe time.

The Elements Group
02-23-2009, 06:10 PM
i have installed irrigation systems and layed st aug in sav for many of friends.... do not use pre0emergent.....just install the system and apply round up the either cultivate the soil 2 weeks after the application or roto till it the rake it (if you roto till it) then prep the dround and lay the sod.. top with a 10-10-10 do not use pre-emerge

The Elements Group
02-23-2009, 06:11 PM
if you want to sub out the irrrigation let me know 2 days maybe 1 in and out .. turnkey

HLM86
02-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't going to be the one to do the pre m, but I will hold anyone off from doing it. I will get back with you on the irrigation sub, gotta run right now.

RAlmaroad
02-24-2009, 12:16 PM
DO NOT apply any pre-em for a while. It will prune the roots! It will keep the sod from taking hold of the ground. All you need is a good starter fertilizer! A good healthy application of micro-nutrient mix would benifit the sod also.
On that irrigation--a wonderful thing has just surfaced in this month's TURF magazine--wireless control valves. Check them out.
If you need design help on irrigation, let me know

Kiril
02-24-2009, 12:38 PM
On that irrigation--a wonderful thing has just surfaced in this month's TURF magazine--wireless control valves. Check them out.
If you need design help on irrigation, let me know

Wireless valves are intended for "back against the wall" applications, not standard installs.