PDA

View Full Version : What way should i pay my employees?

nickpappapump
02-23-2009, 01:01 PM
I have been paying by the job. What is the best way?

Thanks in advance
Nick

PROCUT1
02-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Be careful paying by the job.

It is legal however:

1. Make sure you still track their hours
2. You have to make sure that their pay for the day equals at least the minimum wage plus overtime if applicable.
3. Make sure it is done as a w-2. You cannot 1099 employees.

Other than that youre ok

nickpappapump
02-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Whats a better way to pay them though?

Patriot Services
02-23-2009, 06:15 PM
I think we need a little more info. Do you only use these guys once in a while? If they are truly employees they need to be paid hourly. The labor laws are very specific. You also can't make them salaried either by law. Paying by the job implies you are treating them as sub-contractors, another legal no-no. If you are trying to get around labor laws you are playing with fire, as one call from an employee and you could find yourself in a lot of trouble.:usflag::usflag::usflag:

And I just caught you are only 17. legally you can't have employess.

nickpappapump
02-23-2009, 09:35 PM
they are friends and we were just cutting a few lawn in the neighbor hood and we were spliting the money so they arent employees iam starting to make a real lawn business now.

Where does it say iam 17?

soloscaperman
02-24-2009, 12:38 AM
Don't get your friends involved TRUST ME!

DLAWNS
02-24-2009, 12:43 AM
I personally pay hourly, sometimes you gotta stay on the guys to get work done, but I feel it is the easiest and fairest way for everyone.

topsites
02-24-2009, 02:57 AM
Most of them will probably prefer money.

Stillwater
02-24-2009, 06:59 AM
if you are just starting to get real as you say then Pay them hourly and weekly with a check drawn on US funds.

nickpappapump
02-24-2009, 07:56 AM
ok what do you think I should pay them hourly starting out on all residental? and once in a while commercial lawns iam probably only going to have one employee at a time. and they will be going back and forth doing different jobs switching with me.

Stillwater
02-24-2009, 08:37 AM
doesen't matter if you are doing res or com pay them the same rate. write a business plan have someone help you do that, I don't know your set up so I can't comment of your rate of pay, the landscaping and grounds care industry is going to take a massive dive this season so I suggest you carefully think about what you can afford to pay. a possible suggestion is Don't hire help right away work solo.....

FairGreen Inc.
02-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Think about what money you have coming in and what your expenses are, and like Stillwater said, think about what you can afford to pay. Keep in mind, your the "owner" of the company, if you end up making just as much as your "employees" then you might want to re-consider how much you're charging (maybe it's too low?) or that you're paying the employee too much.

However, Judging from what you told us. A few lawns?

What do you need an employee for? ? ? Cut your expenses and think about hiring someone when you have enough work to do so!

Reliable Lawn Care
02-24-2009, 09:56 AM
I have been paying by the job. What is the best way?

Thanks in advance
Nick

Depends on persons expierence, drive, dedication, attitude etc... I would go solo from just the little info you provided, but if you do need help, I would pay anywhere from 8-15 dollars per hour. Just make sure they are worth the headaches that come along with employees. Good Luck

EagleGrounds
02-24-2009, 10:25 AM

I second that! I have been stiffed a couple times by friends! Mow alone or with someone you dont know what so ever!

bohiaa
02-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Sounds like you have a REAL mess on your hands.....

nickpappapump
02-24-2009, 12:33 PM
think about what money you have coming in and what your expenses are, and like stillwater said, think about what you can afford to pay. Keep in mind, your the "owner" of the company, if you end up making just as much as your "employees" then you might want to re-consider how much you're charging (maybe it's too low?) or that you're paying the employee too much.

However, judging from what you told us. A few lawns?

What do you need an employee for? ? ? Cut your expenses and think about hiring someone when you have enough work to do so!

ok thx last year i had 9 customers and and me and my friend was doing 30min each and i was paying him $5 bucks a job and depending on how much stuff to do on the other lawns i would pay him $10 a lawn i think iam going to pay them by the hour

WALKER LANDSCAPE
02-24-2009, 12:33 PM

I agree:hammerhead:

FairGreen Inc.
02-24-2009, 12:39 PM
Yup, leave your friends at home.

Or else you'll loose them.

nickpappapump
02-24-2009, 12:43 PM
ok thx for the help.

Grits
02-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Pay them as little as possible.
Why would you need help with 9 "accounts"?

Sweet Tater
02-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Most of them will probably prefer money.

I was debating on that one, I agree, money works well :usflag:

Sweet Tater
02-25-2009, 05:32 PM
ok thx last year i had 9 customers and and me and my friend was doing 30min each and i was paying him $5 bucks a job and depending on how much stuff to do on the other lawns i would pay him $10 a lawn i think iam going to pay them by the hour

you need help to do 9 lawns? you need to re-evaluate your time and priorities,