PDA

View Full Version : Is this the unemployment line?

dmcdade
02-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi everyone, My name is Donald and on March 27 2009 I will e unemployed :) WOHOOOO!

Last year I started developing my business plan for introduction into the lawn care landscaping business and have been waiting for the oppurtunity to get started. Sprint is laying me off (don't be sorry for me, I volunteered!) so I am going to start-it up March 28th.

I'm mainly going to be just the usual lawn care, mowing, edge, trim and blow, with additional packages including flower bed and landscaping maintenance. I think my prices are pretty reasonable, but when I am trying to make sale's everyone keeps telling me my prices are too high.

I tell them that like all businesses there are costs involved, insurance, etc. but they don't really give a kahoola. So maybe someone from Houston/Spring could help me with pricing ?

My business site is at www.timberlaneyards.com .

Also, what is a good insurance company that isn't a complete rip-off :)

I look forward to being here and learning.

Donald

George Mason
02-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Tread lightly with that subject line, tread lightly my friend, things like that are a potential sore subject (rightfully so might I add) so I am just throwing out a heads up.

I am insured through Nationwide. I am looking to move my insurance to State Farm or Erie though because of lack of agent support, i.e I can't get a phone called returned, they cancelled my policy once by accident after it was paid in full and the agent couldn't work with the underwriters to fix it for two weeks. Overall, a poor experience with Nationwide.

J & S Lawn and Landscape
02-24-2009, 11:33 AM
I checked out your website... does that prepayment thing actually work for you?
Do you get any customers this way?

Ducati996
02-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Hi everyone, My name is Donald and on March 27 2009 I will e unemployed :) WOHOOOO!

Last year I started developing my business plan for introduction into the lawn care landscaping business and have been waiting for the opportunity to get started. Sprint is laying me off (don't be sorry for me, I volunteered!) so I am going to start-it up March 28th.

I'm mainly going to be just the usual lawn care, mowing, edge, trim and blow, with additional packages including flower bed and landscaping maintenance. I think my prices are pretty reasonable, but when I am trying to make sale's everyone keeps telling me my prices are too high.

I tell them that like all businesses there are costs involved, insurance, etc. but they don't really give a kahoola. So maybe someone from Houston/Spring could help me with pricing ?

My business site is at www.timberlaneyards.com .

Also, what is a good insurance company that isn't a complete rip-off :)

I look forward to being here and learning.

Donald

Well its one thing to get laid off, its another to be voluntarily and still not understand your market or your pricing strategy. In my humble opinion now is not the time to be a start up business - its better to start part time and get your feet wet prior to it becoming a full time adventure. You will face so many challenges, it will scare the crap out of you fast. The competition in your area will be the fiercest it has ever been in history. You have the stomach for it? otherwise i would ask for your job back today from Sprint, and wait this screwey economic uncertainty out

George Mason
02-24-2009, 08:38 PM
In my humble opinion now is not the time to be a start up business - its better to start part time and get your feet wet prior to it becoming a full time adventure. You will face so many challenges, it will scare the crap out of you fast.

Isn't that the truth! I was one the dreamers last season, when I got my first account I thought this was going to be a cash machine and saw myself laughing in the background as customers paid me to do what, mow grass! It wasn't out of disrespect to those of you up and running, EXPERIENCED LCO's, it was ignorance for lack of a better word, and a hint of ego as well, something I think many of us can admit to having if the truth be known. I can say from the get go, even though I am a part-timer, I had my LLC formed and was fully insured and licensed. I didn't fare nearly as well as I wanted to last year, I paid the "stupid tax" again and again, humbling and discouraging me more each time. Then when fall rolled around, I got a bunch of clean-up jobs and paid the price on a few but started to see progress - note that first summer I did not see progress, but challenge after challenge instead. I kept my head, and my cool, and stayed with my plan. This off season I had more leaf clean-ups come my way, I still jump the gun and price myself too low occasionally though I am learning and much less stressed. I have made some good contacts for landscaping and fert/lime/pest applications, and that is going to help my business too. In the meantime, I just got another call that signed on for this summer in the midst of writing this message, funny how things work, and I am just a tad bit less stressed than I was when I started! Overall, a humbling experience. Just because you know how to cut grass doesn't mean you know how to make a business of it.

Toy2
02-24-2009, 10:05 PM
You are going to have to compete with alot of Mexican LCO's, some legal, some not.....with that said the market will determine what people are willing to pay.

Here, the local newspaper next month will have about 20 ads for lawn service, from those it could vary from $15 to $30.00 per cut......

Many laid off people are thinking the same as you......wish you the best....

MileHigh
02-24-2009, 10:52 PM
I checked out your website and kinda liked it..

Your prices are right on the mark for my area...I don't know what kind of companies..legit or illegitimate are around your area but best of luck with your venture.

TheCanadianLawnRanger
02-25-2009, 10:10 AM
WOW the website looks great. I hope yo uall the best. It can be a tough game ot get into. I know 1st hand last year was my 1st year and it was really tough. I am scaling back thsi year so I can do all the work myself. Employees can be a handful. Best of luck. Your prices are a lil high for my area but im in canada so totally diffrent ball game then yours.

Outer Elements
02-25-2009, 01:17 PM
how did you get that map showing your coverage on your website?

Thanks,

Outer Elements

dwight1moore
02-25-2009, 08:53 PM
where did ya find the template at for your site. i have a site through there but cant find templates.

dwight1moore
02-25-2009, 10:50 PM
where did ya find the template at for your site. i have a site through there but cant find templates.nevermind i found them :)

Johnagain
02-25-2009, 11:21 PM
I really like your site but you must run spell check on every page. November is not spelled Novembor. Good luck with your new venture!

ambersLawnmowing
02-26-2009, 02:08 AM
You take paypal.... I thought i was the only one that did that....LOL I love your site, you should sell the mowers and make websites... LOL again. Best of luck to you

dmcdade
02-26-2009, 02:36 AM
Hi everyone thanks for the welcome and the warnigns and the tips. Actually when I am done with Sprint, I am going to work at loal equipment shop that sells, lawnmowers :) part-time while I get the business rolling. Then I can earn some extra cash to buy that 34" 0 turn I'm looking at.

I'm going into this as debt free as I can right now, I have a 6 month severance package, a part-time job lined up and the grass. I'm excited I won't lie, but I'm not letting that blur my judgment. I have an exit strategy if things don't go right so I can liquadate quickly with no liability.

Oh, check out the website again, I have a designer doing some logo work for me and am testing out new ones every other day or so. let me know what you think.

www.timberlaneyards.com

Oh, I forgot to mention my site has been live for 8 days now and I have recieved my first 3 jobs today from it, 2 monthly pre-pay accounts and a gardenbed and sidewalk piant. wohooo!