PDA

View Full Version : Same Job...Different Location.

southernsprayguy
02-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Recently moved back home. To my suprise there are only two spray services in this area....TWO! The best part...they treat lawns in 3 counties. How awesome is that? Opportunity is knocking and knocking hard. The only downfall is there aren't any good turf suppliers that are local except your local Co-Op...and you what kind of fert you're going to get there. (CRAP) The closest supplier is an 1 1/2 away and I hate shipping cost these days. Guess I have no choice. This is going to be GREAT Year!

nik
02-23-2009, 06:39 PM
A farm and feed store type co-op or an ag chemical dealer?

Ag chemical dealers can often get the fertilizers types you need. May not bear the brand name but that you want but will have the N-P-K. And many of your pesticides can be had there/ If they don't stock them they can get them easily since the companies that make ag chemicals make lawn and ornamental products.

southernsprayguy
02-23-2009, 06:58 PM
A farm and feed store type co-op or an ag chemical dealer?

Ag chemical dealers can often get the fertilizers types you need. May not bear the brand name but that you want but will have the N-P-K. And many of your pesticides can be had there/ If they don't stock them they can get them easily since the companies that make ag chemicals make lawn and ornamental products.

Ag stores. Not worried about the chemicals...got that covered. It's fertilizer. Ag stores (Co-Op) are notorious for having crappy fertilizer. LIKE MOMMA ALWAYS SAID "IT'S LIKE A BOX OF CHOCOLATE...YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOUR GONNA GET!" Thinking about going mostly liquid anyway. Nitroform is relatively cheap these days plus the Minors and Micros. I'll put something together real soon for the summer. Pre-em is all I'm worried about right now anyway.

ArchiesLawns
02-24-2009, 12:03 AM
You must have moved back in the counrty somewhere? If you have to get fertilizer 1 1/2 hours away. And the only thing you have is a co-op.

southernsprayguy
02-24-2009, 12:24 AM
You must have moved back in the counrty somewhere? If you have to get fertilizer 1 1/2 hours away. And the only thing you have is a co-op.

Wouldn't necessarly call it country. About 90K people living within 30 miles from the house. But no stores like Lesco, BWI, Prosource..Stores I'm used to. Again, I won't buy Ag or Co-op fert. It's junk! Guess I'll have to call a Harrells or Regal rep if I want any good granular fert. I just hate paying the frieght on granular fert. I'm working on a Liquid program anyway..much cheaper than granular. Did some experimenting with it in the past in Memphis and on the AL coast and got great results.

nik
02-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Must be a regional thing. Even our farm stores carry decent fert. products. Then again they have their products tested by the state and if it test out to what's on the label they get slapped pretty hard by the state. They are one of the few that actually test products.

MnLefty
02-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Sprayguy-

Maybe you've done this already, if so, disregard, but what would be the harm in going to your local co-op to see what he might have available? Maybe he might surprise you, or maybe if you tell them what you are looking for they can find it/make it for you? There's no sense in totally writing them off based on experiences somewhere else. If they are truly you're only local option you might as well at least look, right?

Edit: I should add that around here many of the co-op/local ag dealers buy wholesale from some of the major, high quality manufacturers, acting as a middleman. Very possible your local guy can get for you Helena, UAP, Agrium bagged fert... easier than you could on your own.

Green Up
02-24-2009, 02:43 PM
What type of liquid fertilizer are you using? I have used Lesco for years. I like it better than some of the others. The price is negot. with Lesco. They will try to put the screws to you, if you let them. Their products can be purchased in another name brand for much less. Same active ingredients.

southernsprayguy
02-24-2009, 11:54 PM
What type of liquid fertilizer are you using? I have used Lesco for years. I like it better than some of the others. The price is negot. with Lesco. They will try to put the screws to you, if you let them. Their products can be purchased in another name brand for much less. Same active ingredients.

I have used Regals and some Harrells products. I also use two other brands... company called Brandt (which makes Regal products for them) and Delta Ag Formulations. Brandt is very reasonable especially on the Liquid Nitroform and Delta Ag has the best prices on Micro and Minor nutrients by far! Never been a real big fan of Lesco. Bad customer service and they are too proud of thier products (price).

MnLefty...the Co-op store has great chemical products and I plan on using them for that but the fertilizer I don't like. I've used it numerous time hopeing I will get a good product but it's still comes out of the bag the same each time...clumpy junk. I need clean evenly prilled fert if Im going to spread. If I can get my hands on it, I will use Anderson's fert. It's the best. It's more expensive but the BEST!