PDA

View Full Version : Business Software

Wes Hudgel
02-26-2000, 09:22 PM
I am going into my second year in the business and am interested in getting some REASONABLY priced software to help me run the business. All the prices I've seen seem high. Do you have any ideas??

Guido
02-26-2000, 09:46 PM
Did you look into quickbooks pro? There are a bunch of reasonably priced small business packages to use for book keeping, etc. The expensive ones are the ones that tailor to a certain business.<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti

tjg
02-26-2000, 10:23 PM
I got some info on Clip, they are sending more info and free CD did see it would cost about $200.00 but if it saves the time they claim it would be worth it.If anyone has tried it let me know.Thanks<p>----------<br>T.J. Greenfield<br>

gene gls
02-27-2000, 06:52 PM
I started this year with Lawn Monkey,very powerful program. Support is super, have talked with them several times. This is the most flexable program that I have seen. Its also the thrid one that I have purchesed in eight years.

Wes Hudgel
02-28-2000, 02:27 PM
Thanks for your advise. I think I'll get some demo software and give 'em a try.

scottlawns
02-28-2000, 03:54 PM
i was just wondering if lawn monkey is so great why you would have to buy it three times in 8 years,quickbooks will just upgrade for free,

Barkleymut
02-28-2000, 04:06 PM
Do you plan on having an accountant help you with your tax returns?? If so ask the accountant what program they use. Mine uses Quickbooks so she can go back through and correct any mistakes and since she is already familiar with quickbooks she can give me helpful tips. MY TAXES ARE DONE!!! YEE HAW!!!

Lee Homan
02-28-2000, 04:13 PM
I tried the lawn monkey trial software and it seemed ok, the support was real good which is really important but I decided on the Peachtree Accounting software. They offered the program and 30 minutes of support for $144.00. It has a lot of similarities to the software I used where I use to work; just felt more familiar with it plus it was cheaper. They also have a demo you can try. You can download at www.peachtree.com. It would be worth checking out. It's a pretty good program.

JJ Lawn
02-28-2000, 07:54 PM
scottlawns, <p>I am curious where and how to get free upgrades for Quickbooks? They seem to upgrade it every year and the mailing I get from Intuit has a price of $149 w/free shipping for the upgrade. I called an complained that it was too much to pay that every year, and they quoted me $125 over the phone that one time. :) <p>So, please tell me where do I get the free upgrades?<p>Jim

Charlie
02-28-2000, 09:42 PM
If you purchase Quickbooks I would suggest getting the 99 Version and not Quickbooks Pro 2000, especially if you are wanting to use it for payroll. With the 2000 version you have to sign up with them to handle your payroll checks. The 99 version you do it all yourself and it is simple.<p>----------<br>Charlie<br>Turf Creations, Inc.<br>

gene gls
02-28-2000, 09:47 PM
Software programs are like any other peice of equipement,you take the time to DEMO the different brands to see whats best for YOUR needs.Even some of the higher priced units offer minimum capabilites.Often service is next to nill.I took the advice of other forum members and went with Lawn Monkey. There is room for a ton of information to be used in this program on anyones properties that is not availiable in many other programs. Lawn Monkey asks for input from each user to make the program more useful for all users.Two up grades sence Jan.1,NO CHARGE. Where else can you find this service?

Guido
02-29-2000, 09:36 PM
GENE, HOW MUCH DID THEY WHACK YOU FOR LAWNMONKEY?? iS THERE ROOM TO PUT OTHER &quot;ODD&quot; JOBS AND SNOWPLOWING, OR JUST LAWN AND APPLICATION?<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti

gene gls
02-29-2000, 10:26 PM
guido: Lawn Monkey Pro $489.00..I belive there is room for ten different companys.I also have a woodworking business in it. Go up at the top of this page and click on it to check it out,there is a lot of info discribing the program there. You don't have to down load it to just read the info.<p> I bought a very basic program last year for $369.00 that didn't do 1/10th of what Lawn Monkey will do. Yet I know other guys that love the program.

thelawnguy
03-01-2000, 07:35 AM
Go to www.intuit.com and order the free demo disc of Quickbooks Pro2000. If you like it and want to keep it, e-mail me off-list and Ill have a gift for you.<p>Bill

cclllc
03-01-2000, 06:00 PM
I use Clip just for scheduling and Qbooks for the rest of my business.Clip works good for me.I haven't figured out how to back up there data yet.If anyone knows please let me know.Thanks,John<p>----------<br>Custom Cut Lawns LLC<br>mowmoney@juno.com

lawnhelp
03-01-2000, 11:49 PM
Has anyone tried Service Pro 2000? It is pretty expensive, but the demo is awesome. Quickbooks Pro is a pain in the ass to input all the stuff done to 125 accounts!! I want a program that will automatically merge the schedule into the invoices. Doing a seperate schedule and invoicing is so redundant and it really time consuming!

Dink38
07-09-2000, 08:18 PM
I use clips lite and just ordered the clips classic. I like their program but the clips lite I am using did not hold but 50 clients. I am looking for a good accounting program that is simple.

BRL
07-09-2000, 10:50 PM
Scottlawns,<br>PLEASE tell us where you get free QB upgrades! I always have to pay for them also.<br>Lawnhelp,<br>I believe that Clip & Lawn Monkey will produce invoices right from your scheduling, like you want.

MOW ED
07-10-2000, 06:53 AM
I dont use QB but I have Quicken Home and Business which is the same makers of QB. For the QB updates try www.intuit.com<br>Also try the help button in your program, sometimes there is a link there.

machine
07-10-2000, 09:16 AM
I use Excel 97 spreadsheets and Access 97 for a Database. They are programed by me to meet any applications. I do not use Peachtree or any stoftware thats a standard design. It is very important that your stofware can be customized to your specific needs. I know where the numbers are coming from and how they are generated. I say this, because when presenting finnaical and forcasted data with Venture Captial firms, bankers, and the beloved IRS. I am confident that the math is right and the right formulas where computed correctly. I would not rely on software, where you don't know how and why those numbers where generated. Could cost your bussines millions is the long-run.

SLC INC
07-10-2000, 09:26 AM
Buy CLIP It is the best thing I ever did. I used Quickbooks and CLIP saves alot more time and problems.

BRL
07-10-2000, 06:59 PM
Mowed, <br>We know how to get QB updates. The point we are making with Scottlawns is that he said he gets free upGRADES. Intuit charges for upgrades, so if he has a free source, we want to hear about it. <br>Machine,<br>I think that most of us LCO's at this forum do not have the time or the computer background to write a comprehensive Excel spreadsheet that would encompass all of the info included in accounting software such as Quickbooks or Peachtree. The point of buying such software is that that hard part is done for us. Also, I did check the math in my QB program to make sure that the numbers and the formulas were correct, based on the info I had input. I don't think those companies would still be in business if their programs didn't execute the formulas correctly. There is also a lot of good accounting info available in those programs that many of us grass cutters & or landscapers could use to help with handling that aspect of being in business. BTW I agree that using Excel is a great tool to augment administrative duties related to running any business. I use Excel sheets that I have written, QB and Clip to help me manage this business better.

greenlawncare
07-10-2000, 07:14 PM
scottslawns, I think gene gls meant it was the third program he had bought in eight years, not the third lm :)

Getmow
07-11-2000, 08:59 PM
Clip Pro - nuff said!

TurfMan
07-15-2000, 09:42 PM
We have tried every demo out there, QB, Clips, grounds Keeper and about 10 other ones. We elected to use LawnMonkey. first off is the Tech support, You can't beat it. Every Call to them has resulted in the answers that we needed. If the Program did not do what we needed it to do, Then the Tech Dept Wrote it into the Program for us. As far as updates and being charged for them, This has not happened. there has been 2 Major updates since the first of the year and probally 15 minor updates. All were free of charge. And unlike Clips, If you purchase the lower version of Lawn Monkey, You still have unlimited Clients that you can Enter. Clips only leaves room for 50. And if you want to change anything in Clips, they charge you $50.00. LawnMonkey you can run 10 different Companys. And the new Update due out any day will be linked up to Quick Books. Dollar for Dollar, You can't go wrong With LawnMonkey.<p>----------<br>Dave<br>3B's Lawn Care Service

bob
07-15-2000, 11:31 PM
I use Quickbooks. I don't have the time to learn a new system. Maybe in the off season I&quot;ll look at something else.

TURFLORD
12-22-2005, 07:19 AM
i was just wondering if lawn monkey is so great why you would have to buy it three times in 8 years,quickbooks will just upgrade for free,
"Updates" are free,"Upgrades" will cost you. I just bought QBK's Pro '06 for $150 at a warehouse store. It doesn't say anything about "upgrade" so this is hopefully a full version. I hope the $80 rebate I got in the mail is worth something. All software needs to be upgraded every couple of years to stay current with new hardware and newer versions of the OS.

walker-talker
12-22-2005, 09:10 AM
I started this year with Lawn Monkey,very powerful program. Support is super, have talked with them several times. This is the most flexable program that I have seen. Its also the thrid one that I have purchesed in eight years.I vote for Lawn Monkey here also. It truly is very powerful and I would be surprised if I am using 10% of the programs strength.

Gene, do you use any of the accounting or job costing features of the program?

Matt

walker-talker
12-22-2005, 09:12 AM
Dang...this thread is 5 years old...didn't even noticed that. Turflord, the LM upgrades is $300 for LM.

gardenkeeper88
12-22-2005, 09:57 PM
So now that this is started again........ How bout tech support now for lawn Mon or clips. What about upgrade / updates. and what about cost. I just put my order in for demos of both. This winter I have to come up with a better system for my 2 crews and me to keep times on for everything to bring back to me for easier billing and job costing.

walker-talker
12-23-2005, 03:37 AM
So now that this is started again........ How bout tech support now for lawn Mon or clips. What about upgrade / updates. and what about cost. I just put my order in for demos of both. This winter I have to come up with a better system for my 2 crews and me to keep times on for everything to bring back to me for easier billing and job costing.Lawn Monkey is $850 and $1250 if you want zone based capabilities for chem apps. You can get the cheaper version and upgrade anytime. You will get 2 hours tech support at that price. Every year they charge $300 for upgrades and you get an additional 120 minutes of tech support. When using tech support you can use telephone, which usually take more time. You can email them, not as fast, but usually takes less time or you can use the forum they have. The forum is free, but might be a week before you get an answer. For the most part I use the forum. Most of the time I have used tech support I was never billed any minutes because it was an issue with the program. I love everything about the program except I feel the upgrades are a little much, but the thing I hate the most is this. Once you buy the program you get 120 minutes of tech support, but after the first year you decide not to enroll in the "Keep My Plan Current" program (the $300 for upgrades), you can no longer use the tech support, unless it's an issue with the program. If you choose to pay for the upgrade, then you can accumulate minutes. I think I have something like 4 or 5 hours worth of tech support now. Next year I think I will start using more of the job costing and accounting part of the program so I will probably need more tech support. Also, if you are using Quick Books, youy will probably want to check into Qxpress. It's similar to LM, but different.....still made and owned by Alocet. Let us know what you think.