PDA

View Full Version : Florida's new rain sensor law

Waterit
02-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Here's something FL is trying to get passed, amending the existing rain sensor law.

Basically says that if there is no rain sensor on an existing system, contractor must install one OR stop work and report the customer's refusal to the powers that be. Sets out fines for both contractor and system owner. Sounds like someone took a vacationin Texas and came back with some of their lunatic ideas (no offense to our TX buddies, it's The Man I'm referring to).

http://www.flsenate.gov/session/index.cfm?BI_Mode=ViewBillInfo&Mode=Bills&ElementID=JumpToBox&SubMenu=1&Year=2009&billnum=494

::::I might be moving to Montana soon, join ML on the dental floss farm::::

hoskm01
02-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Here's something FL is trying to get passed, amending the existing rain sensor law.

Basically says that if there is no rain sensor on an existing system, contractor must install one OR stop work and report the customer's refusal to the powers that be. Sets out fines for both contractor and system owner. Sounds like someone took a vacationin Texas and came back with some of their lunatic ideas (no offense to our TX buddies, it's The Man I'm referring to).

http://www.flsenate.gov/session/index.cfm?BI_Mode=ViewBillInfo&Mode=Bills&ElementID=JumpToBox&SubMenu=1&Year=2009&billnum=494

Good news. I step in a direction.

Peter and I will commute to the farm on weekends and days ending in Y.

Waterit
02-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Here's the actual bill being considered:

http://www.flsenate.gov/data/session/2009/Senate/bills/billtext/pdf/s0494c1.pdf

Waterit
02-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Peter and I will commute to the farm on weekends and days ending in Y.

Bring tequila, ammo, and brisket.

hoskm01
02-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Bring tequila, ammo, and brisket.
Ill cover Tequila and Ammo.

Peter, Brisket. Stat.

tamadrummer
02-23-2009, 10:27 PM

Raising it up, waxing it down, in a little white box, I can sell up town.

Waterit
02-23-2009, 10:33 PM
tama, puh-lease lose the signature. I've been trying to single-handedly raise the perception of FL irrigators as being hacker dweeb dork pikers on this forum for the last year, and look what happens.

Hoskm01, more ammo. Stat.

hoskm01
02-23-2009, 10:42 PM
tama, puh-lease lose the signature. I've been trying to single-handedly raise the perception of FL irrigators as being hacker dweeb dork pikers on this forum for the last year, and look what happens.

Hoskm01, more ammo. Stat.
Watcha need? Whatcha got for arms?

mitchgo
02-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Raising it up, waxing it down, in a little white box, I can sell up town.

( man I can be a dick sometimes....but REALLY... Reallly????.. REally>?>>>)

GUYS!!! Man!!. I'm so good.! Honestly.. I'm the best..!! infact! I Have to brag!

It's probably ... honestly and trutheshly! It's better then being on Air Force One!

But....

I have to tell you!
I have a hedge trimmer attachment!

Holy S**!*!*$%!*@#%
No Joke dude!

In Fact!! I'm going to be soo cool and put it as my signature!
Ps... I'm awesome!

Okay All jokes aside.. Loose your signature.. I can't stress that more!.

waterit!
Thats awesome and some good job security... i support everyone having rain sensors. Though.. I have heard a few stats saying even though for a home owner it may save some bucks but actual water conservation as a whole is extreme negilible

Waterit
02-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Watcha need? Whatcha got for arms?

My arsenal and their purpose:

For personal protection

Home-intrusion prevention

Immigration and catching tuna

DanaMac
02-23-2009, 11:24 PM
I like the idea of the required sensors, but I do not like the idea of the contractor having to report it if the customer won't allow you to install one. That is "tattling" IMO. If it was a safety issue I can understand it. Not reporting a faulty furnace that can cause carbon monoxide poisoning as an example. Or not reporting a property with no or improper backflow protection. But to tattle about no sensor is weak.

mitchgo
02-23-2009, 11:38 PM
I agree completely.

All of our water districts in the area require back flow assemblies for irrigation. But not all require them to be tested annually .

We often come across houses that have irrigation but do not have Back Flow assemblies in many area's that do require them. Everytime I come across this. I attach an estimate to the invoice of the original job and basically say " hey, It's not up to us , it's completely up to the water purveyor to enforce this, but we highly recommend to have this.. ( and then give them more general info on backflow ...)

I think the 'tattle tailing' should be an enforcer like the water purveyor and should not be up to a lone business.

Waterit
02-24-2009, 12:20 AM
The tattling part is what bothers me also. Our state legislators are trying to use us as enforcers. And the end result is going to be losing customers.

Rain sensor installation has been required by code for years - prior to that I used it as an upsell. On commercials I always put in a freeze sensor anyway (actually a rain/freeze combo) as a hedge against potential liability.

Well-intentioned, but off the mark. Typical Florida.

Waterit
02-24-2009, 12:31 AM
I agree completely.

All of our water districts in the area require back flow assemblies for irrigation. But not all require them to be tested annually .

We often come across houses that have irrigation but do not have Back Flow assemblies in many area's that do require them. Everytime I come across this. I attach an estimate to the invoice of the original job and basically say " hey, It's not up to us , it's completely up to the water purveyor to enforce this, but we highly recommend to have this.. ( and then give them more general info on backflow ...)

I think the 'tattle tailing' should be an enforcer like the water purveyor and should not be up to a lone business.

Florida as a state has adopted International Plumbing Code, which requires backflow on all potable-water irrigation systems and commercial buildings, and things like dock lines, outside showers, etc. Some municipalities are now requiring backflow on pump and well systems also. Only the commercial places are required to be tested annually - including one before final inspection - but not the irrigation backflows.

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-24-2009, 06:42 AM
Can I bring bread instead of brisket?

Having said that FL is in a prolong drought. Soon the choice may be water for homes may require a shut down of residential irrigation.

EagleLandscape
02-24-2009, 08:32 AM
i think the law is great.

i agree the laws are silly,. but you contractors dont get that the more regulations like this, the more the customer is required to buy parts and upgrade for you. MONEY IN YOUR POCKET, STOP COMPLAINING just because this isnt how u did it 35 years ago blah blah ';.wqc-[]c/dfg.';er

DanaMac
02-24-2009, 08:37 AM
i think the law is great.

i agree the laws are silly,. but you contractors dont get that the more regulations like this, the more the customer is required to buy parts and upgrade for you. MONEY IN YOUR POCKET, STOP COMPLAINING just because this isnt how u did it 35 years ago blah blah ';.wqc-[]c/dfg.';er

It's not about money in my pocket. it's about governmental control. Continuing to put there hands in places they don't need to be. Yes they should institute a sensor law, No they should not make us their enforcers. If so, they better put me on the payroll. We shouldn't be the bad guy because they made the law, not us.

Kiril
02-24-2009, 08:57 AM
I like the idea of the required sensors, but I do not like the idea of the contractor having to report it if the customer won't allow you to install one. That is "tattling" IMO.

Awwww, come-on man, big brother is right around the corner, get on board or move. :cry:

Waterit
02-24-2009, 09:24 AM
STOP COMPLAINING just because this isnt how u did it 35 years ago blah blah ';.wqc-[]c/dfg.';er

The "complaint" is over them making us enforce it, I've been putting them in since they first came out on the market.

Wet_Boots
02-24-2009, 09:34 AM
I would prefer if the requirements are for including the rain sensor as part of an installation. Let the towns do their own enforcement.

Kiril
02-24-2009, 09:38 AM
The "complaint" is over them making us enforce it

Really man, we are already a police state, why stop there? Encourage the population to spy on each other so we can either throw the "offenders" in jail or ostracize them from "society".

Waterit
02-24-2009, 09:39 AM
I would prefer if the requirements are for including the rain sensor as part of an installation. Let the towns do their own enforcement.

That's already part of code, since at least 1998, for NEW systems. They're trying to retrofit by having us do the enforcement.

Tom Tom
02-24-2009, 09:43 AM
interesting story about water

http://mises.org/story/3338

Wet_Boots
02-24-2009, 10:17 AM
I refuse to be a narc.

AI Inc
02-24-2009, 10:19 AM
That can get ya killed in prison.

tamadrummer
02-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Follow the link and enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJN_uWaVRfo

Frontier-Lawn
02-24-2009, 01:17 PM
probably in a few years they may try to pass a law that says; if you have a irrigation system and its on city water or a well and RCW is in the area you must hook into it or remove the irrigation system if you choose no RCW.

Mike Leary
02-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Follow the link and enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJN_uWaVRfo

Great! Wrong thread, but who cares.

Wet_Boots
02-24-2009, 02:58 PM
What we really need is a Youtube video of Wild Man Fischer's "I'm working for the Federal Bureau of Narcotics"

tamadrummer
02-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Great! Wrong thread, but who cares.

Read the first post in the thread and than say that. The last thing posted is this song.

Try to relax and enjoy life. It isn't all that bad.......:dizzy:

Mike Leary
02-24-2009, 04:43 PM
than say:

It just seemed more appropriate to the Wisconsin thread. I've not said "than
say" ever, must be a regional thing.

tamadrummer
02-24-2009, 04:53 PM
It just seemed more appropriate to the Wisconsin thread. I've not said "than
say" ever, must be a regional thing.

You laid the proverbial "grammar smackdown" on me!

You got me, I should have said "then say"

Thanks, I am all the wiser now.

Mike Leary
02-24-2009, 04:56 PM
You laid the proverbial "grammar smackdown" on me!

You got me, I should have said "then say"

Thanks, I am all the wiser now.

I sure liked the Zappa link, thanks.

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-25-2009, 06:45 AM
interesting story about water

http://mises.org/story/3338

Excellent post Tom. I agree with that in principle. definitely need to apply that to CA.