PDA

View Full Version : walk behind aerators vs pull behind aerators

Fuller Lawn Care
02-23-2009, 11:10 PM
would someone please explain to me why everyone uses the walkbehind aerators how would you do like a acre yard with that little thing why do you not use pull behind drum style please dont get me wrong i just dont undersand someone please fill me in

tombo82685
02-23-2009, 11:54 PM
some reasons could be that drum aerators have wide spaced cores, and you cant adjust the depth. On the newer aerators from toro like toro procores you can set your depth and the spacing of what is to be pulled, for instance a 2x2 core is 2 inch spacing in front and from the side. The more cores you pull the more thatch you eliminate. Also another reason is that you usually pull drum aerators on tractors which can tear up and compact your lawn.

Jason Rose
02-24-2009, 01:23 AM
The tow behind can't be used everywhere, the walk behind can, one machine for everything. Most guys don't have the proper equipment to pull an aerator, a Zero turn mower is really not a good idea, too hard on pumps/hydros.

A good pull behind aerator will have the same spoon pattern as a drum type walk behind.

EagleGrounds
02-24-2009, 11:41 AM
I personally would take my pull behind than a walk behind anyday!

1. It is much much easier on YOUR body than a walk behind one. THe walk behinds i use make me feel like i am wrestling.

2. My pull behind pulls a much better plug than walk behinds.

3. I have never seen a walk behind aerator that is capable of variable speeds(correct me if there are some), so when you MUST aerate in dryer conditions, the walk behinds go to fast and hardly pull a plug, where as my pull behind can go nice and slow and get a qualtiy pull.

4. The pull behinds can have variable weights, you can putt as much or little as youd like to geat the depth of pull that you would like.

The only CON i can think of to a pull behind, is that i have to get up and off my z everytime i come to some cement or underground wiring.

In general though, i would go with the pull behind, but if you have some extra $$ get the JRCO ZTR Push Aeartor, or the ZPLUG!

Taylorman
02-28-2009, 03:49 PM
What kind of tow behind do you use? Im thinking about buying a Ryan with electic lift.

lawn king
02-28-2009, 05:53 PM
We use both.

corey4671
02-28-2009, 05:58 PM
I plan to have the JRCO Hooker Aerator before this fall!

kenny s
03-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Fuller Lawn Care,
I have owned a Ryan walk behind Core Aerator for about 5 or 6 yrs now and I think it does a good job. I will agree with Eaglegrounds though, that sometimes these walk behinds can give you a workout, and when you are done you can feel like you just competed in a wrestling match!! I would have to agree with him, that if you have the size lawns, (larger), and the piece of equipment that will pull a pull behind aerator, it porbably would be cost effective to have one. It certainly would cut down on your labor time for each job, and the wear and tear on you physically. Now if you are in your 20's or 30's and in pretty good shape, you are probably not thinking about the physical aspect of the matter. or if you have other emplyees that can be doing your lawn cutting while you go out and do the aerating jobs, than the time factor is not a critical. Ultimately, having both would be the way to go, (providing you have the work for them), because there is no doubt that I have done jobs with my walk behind, (I do not own a pull behind), that I would loved to have had a pull type to do, and save all that time and physical wear and tear, not only on me, but my machine. There are jobs just to small for a pull behind, and you may not be able to manuver the pull type in many yards, as easily as a walk behind. I am 60 yrs old and in very good shape for a man my age, (I have been doing this work for 35 yrs.), but I am finding myself looking for easier ways to get things done, if you know what I mean! There are numerous makes of core aerators, almost every equipment mfg. makes one for the contractor, but some are better and easier to use than others. I hope this helped you alittle.