PDA

View Full Version : Shade grass

rcreech
02-23-2009, 11:29 PM
I have a customer that I have seeded in the past and he just has WAY TOO MUCH SHADE!

Starts out really good and always just peters out due to limited sunlight.

I have told him many times that he can have trees or he can have grass...but he can't have both.

He called me today and wants me to try AGAIN (which is actually ok since I make really good money seeding) with a product he found on the internet. I keep sharing the risks with him, but he doesn't seem to care.

Have any of you heard of this: http://www.gardenerschoice.com/browseproducts/Shademaster-Lawn-Grass.html

Let me know if so.

Thanks,
RC

greenskeeper44
02-23-2009, 11:39 PM
i dont believe theres any grass that its shade proof. Fine fescues are shade tolerant but thats just what they are tolerant. as long as your up front with him about it and he wants you to keep doing it then do it!! but he should consider getting rid of the tree if he really wants grass or plant shade groundcovers like spicatta lariope or pacchisandra (guess on the spelling) they do great with little sunlight and look great too.

JB1
02-23-2009, 11:41 PM
had a customer, same situation after a few years he cut a bunch of trees, now he has a nice lawn.

tombo82685
02-23-2009, 11:46 PM
I would watch yourself on those ads those pics may be decieving. Like greenskeeper said the most shade tolerant cool season grasses are your festuca rubras ( red fescues and fine fescues). trees really take away the available water for turf which is why trees on golf courses are a big problem. You could try cutting some branches down to filter sunlight in. Also morning sunlight is really appreciated by turf, so keep that in mind

rcreech
02-23-2009, 11:46 PM
I actually like TTTF in shade better then the Fine Fescues!

I have e-mailed this company with many questions...so we will see!

Guess I question this product...but hopefully it will work.

tombo82685
02-23-2009, 11:47 PM
I actually like TTTF in shade better then the Fine Fescues!

I have e-mailed this company with many questions...so we will see!

Guess I question this product...but hopefully it will work.

does it tell you what the cultivars of grass species are?

rcreech
02-24-2009, 12:04 AM
does it tell you what the cultivars of grass species are?

Doesn't say anything!

I want to know what it is....and the seeding rate. Hoping they will call me tomorrow.

By the looks of the pics...it doesn't look like a fine fescue, but I will find out soon hopefully.

It may be a joke...once I talk to them!

I am going to drill them with questions.