PDA

View Full Version : Diesel engines changing hands...?

atasteofnature
02-24-2009, 01:29 AM
I was talking with my brother-in-law and he was mentioning that he over heard that the Duramax is going from the Chevys to the Fords, the Cummins is going from the Dodges to the Chevys, and Dodge is taking in the Catepillar. I was just wondering myself if anyone else has heard about this or not? Maybe I have missed the thread already for that I am sorry for bringing the question backup. Thank you all for reading the thread and everyone have a great Tuesday.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Havent kept up with all the changes but...at one time cummins was owned ford or a part of it anyway....and not long back...Cat couldnt meet the pollution requirements and was planning on pulling out of the on-road market and sticking with the off road engines for equipment....not sure what is going on now with the economy...

WH401
02-24-2009, 09:40 AM
I highly doubt any of that. For one thing that would cost a lot of money and that's something Detroit doesn't have at the moment. The only manufacturer that is unhappy with there current supplier is Ford with International and I couldn't see any of the other manufacturers changing. Another reason, like is mentioned above, is Caterpillar is getting out of the on-road engine market, they don't want to mess with the emission standards.

clif10
02-24-2009, 11:25 AM
ford is producing their own diesel motor called the scorpion, itll be out in the F-150 as well in a smaller version , i think a 6cyl. i doubt their playing hot potatoe with auto makers

Petr51488
02-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Never going to happen. The diesel engines make the trucks that their in (not literally) GM is known for Duramax and the allison. Dodge is known for the cummins and the ford is known for the powerstroke. Why would they switch them around?

IA_James
02-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Not happening, Chrysler signed long term again with Cummins just a few years ago, Navistar is out of the light duty market since Ford canned them, and I can't imagine GM picking them up when they've got something that works after the 6.0 debacle.

atasteofnature
02-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Thank you everyone for the inputs that helps me out and can pass the info. on.

addictedtolandscaping
02-24-2009, 09:29 PM
BOy I would doubt that. The 6.0 is a total pos and I hear that the 6.4 isn't much better. The Allison Duramax marriage is awesome, I just bought my 07 dodge because of the cummins. Alot of guy doing just that. I got to tell you all, that 6.7 cummins put out, holy Shyt!!!!! The thing has more power than anything I have ever driven including the cat in my top kick. I would tend to think that the only one left out in the cold here is Ford, to bad, been a die hard for years, but definitely died with my experiences with that 6.0. I have a 97 ram withthe cummins in it, and that thing has been awesome. I hit the key and she is going, regardless of the weather.

Mowingman
02-24-2009, 11:18 PM
I just read that Navistar and Ford signed a new agreement. So, I think that relationship is going to go on for several more years. I guess they kissed and made up.
Cat is going to launch a new line of heavy duty construction trucks under the Cat name. Of course, they will have Cat engines.
Peterbilt is coming out with their own diesel engines. They have had a lot of trouble with Cat engines not meeting EPA compliance regs., as well as Cat not being able to deliver engines to the Peterbilt factory on time.

atasteofnature
02-24-2009, 11:38 PM
Can't wait to see what happens.

12Valve
02-25-2009, 02:22 AM
BS BS BS, however Ive heard ford was going to be producing thier own motors. I havn't been to impressed with any of the new trucks fuel milage. A 50k truck that gets 8mpg and is in the shop everyother week can't help your busisness.

MileHigh
02-25-2009, 03:49 AM
The Navistar International diesel's Ford have been using are getting replaced By a Ford made Diesel called the Scorpion...here's an article.

"Reliable sources tell us that whatís under the hood of this pickup is much more important to Ford. Itís the all new, Ford designed ĎScorpioní 6.7-liter V8 diesel engine that will replace the current Navistar supplied 6.4-liter V8 Power Stroke by 2011.

Sources say Ford continues to make good progress testing its upcoming in-house-designed 6.7-liter V-8 diesel engine. The new engine will replace the Navistar-sourced 6.4-liter V-8 Power Stroke diesel engine in Fordís heavy-duty pickups by 2011. Code-named Scorpion, the new motor is said to pack plenty of sting ó plus a few other surprises.

The latest power targets are said to be more than 390 horsepower and 720 pounds-feet of torque. Todayís Power Stroke diesel is rated at 350 hp and 650 pounds-feet.

Scorpion fuel economy is expected to improve by 3 mpg or more compared to the current Power Stroke. Helping the Scorpionís mileage will be a new six-speed automatic transmission, like the 2009 Ford F-150 will have.

How important is this motor? The move is expected to permanently end Fordís longtime use of Navistar-built diesel engines in its heavy-duty pickups, due to an ongoing legal battle between the two companies over warranty and cost issues related to the old 6.0-liter V-8 Power Stroke (model years 2003-07). Ford has used Navistar diesels in its F-Series trucks since 1982.

Itís not yet known if the Scorpion will continue to use the Power Stroke name or if Ford will create a brand new label for the engine.

Hard to believe but from the looks of this mule, the Super Duty may grow a bit bigger than the current truck to accommodate the larger displacement Scorpion diesel. Its raised hood is taller across almost its entire width and it has an overbite, hanging slightly over the current modelís big chrome grille. "

Mowingman
02-25-2009, 09:26 AM
I don't know how much is BS. The Peterbilt related info. came from executives at the Peterbilt office right here at their truck plant in our town. The ford/Navistar part came from an article in a business magazine.
I guess we will see pretty soon.

BS BS BS,

BrandonV
02-25-2009, 05:28 PM
I had heard the duramax might be leaving chevy because isuzu and them have had a falling out, isuzu is the manufacture of the duramax as you may know. the ford thing is true, my brother's employer was going to make the parts for the f150 but that project was put on hold last year when diesel prices ballooned out of control, the larger version is defiantly a go at the end of the navistar contract. I'd think if diesel prices would fall back below gas again then it might start back up. as for dodge who knows, I'd be more concerned with dodge being around another 3 years let alone what engine.

nosparkplugs
02-25-2009, 08:55 PM
I was talking with my brother-in-law and he was mentioning that he over heard that the Duramax is going from the Chevys to the Fords, the Cummins is going from the Dodges to the Chevys, and Dodge is taking in the Catepillar. I was just wondering myself if anyone else has heard about this or not? Maybe I have missed the thread already for that I am sorry for bringing the question backup. Thank you all for reading the thread and everyone have a great Tuesday.

I call unreliable source for information with your "brother in law"
The only things known are Caterpillar is done with on road diesel in 2010. Cummins is sticking with Dodge, Isuzu & their Duramax is sticking with GM. Navistar is the only diesel engine manufacturer with no mate "per say" or that has "fried it's goose" with Ford. In 2010 the 1/2 ton diesels will be on the market. FORD is SOL with a proven diesel name behind it, and therefore will be last to market on these new 1/2 ton diesels, also Ford considers the 1/2 ton diesel as serious thread to it's 3/4 ton superduty segment.

If your waiting for GM or Ford to get Cummins to defect:nono::laugh: wishful thinking need apply. You will see a Toyota 1 ton Hino 8.0L In-line diesel before that happens:)

GravelyNut
02-25-2009, 10:16 PM
<snip>.... Hino 8.0L In-line diesel before that happens:)

That would be good for the Williamstown, WV/Marietta, OH area.

Mowingman
02-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Sure would. Hino just put a new truck plant in Williamstown about a year or so ago. With all the other industries there laying off, Hino could be a real boost to the economy, if their operation continues to grow.

That would be good for the Williamstown, WV/Marietta, OH area.

atasteofnature
02-26-2009, 12:35 AM
I am glad this has been a very good thread and has help me see things in a better light instead of the " brother-in-law" outlook!

packey
02-26-2009, 08:57 PM
First no one will be running a small cat. the reasonis not because of emissions it is simply cat decided it was not cost effective to stay in the small engine market. This was decided about a year ago maybe longer. now as far a ford running a cummins who knows and no ford does not own cummins. Many years ago ford bought what was 10 percent of cummins from cummins to help them get back on their feet. once cummins was back on their feet they bought the stock back. Do I think their will be any switches maybe so I think maybe gm to cut cost will go to the Isuzu diesel and get rid of the duramax. I think ford will stay with international and dodge will stay with cummins. Now this is all suposition especially with the auto makers sreamin about being broke.

IA_James
02-26-2009, 09:32 PM
I think maybe gm to cut cost will go to the Isuzu diesel and get rid of the duramax. I think ford will stay with international

Please do not listen to this person. He has shown his level of knowledge right here.

WH401
02-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Please do not listen to this person. He has shown his level of knowledge right here.

:laugh::clapping:

GravelyNut
02-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Sure would. Hino just put a new truck plant in Williamstown about a year or so ago. With all the other industries there laying off, Hino could be a real boost to the economy, if their operation continues to grow.
California kind of made sure of that. Hino shut down the truck plant there. WV Hino plant was doing pretty good last year. If things keep up, they might put in a rail line to the plant. Do you want a white one or a red one, as that's the color most of them were on the plant grounds?

supercuts
02-27-2009, 01:32 PM
im just waiting for my ford with a cummins and allison. mmmmmm, that would be nice. argue over that

TandM
02-27-2009, 08:42 PM
I heard that dodge was going to lose cummins to ford gm is set on dmax. dodge would be screwed then. toyota was supposelvly with cat. but that wont happen. I like the big ass hino 8.0 liter. I hope that my dodges can keep the cummins!

MileHigh
02-27-2009, 08:53 PM
I heard that dodge was going to lose cummins to ford gm is set on dmax. dodge would be screwed then. toyota was supposelvly with cat. but that wont happen. I like the big ass hino 8.0 liter. I hope that my dodges can keep the cummins!

you heard wrong.

supercuts
03-01-2009, 12:42 PM
since this whole thread is "i heard"s , i heard ford had bought out cummins and has been waiting for the contract with dodge to expire. ive also heard ford is making their scorpion diesel. so why would they make their own if they are putting the cummins in. my oppinion, scorpion or cummins will be a winning match for ford

nosparkplugs
03-01-2009, 01:20 PM
If you want a Cummins ISB in your FERDS get you a F-650 with the Cummins ISB engine upgarde:rolleyes:

Back in the early 90's, Ford bought less than 15% of outstanding Cummins stock. Many companies buy into other products to add diversity, corner a market, or form an alliance. In 1997, Cummins repurchased all stock previously owned by Ford, and no Ford management is now on the Cummins board of directors. Since 1998 in the pickup market, Cummins B engines are exclusively contracted to Chrysler, an arrangement that both companies are eager to continue. Ford medium duty (class 6 and 7) and heavy duty (class 8) trucks are available with Cummins B engines. Hey, if it's good enough for a Ford 10 ton truck, I think the Cummins B is adequate for my Ram pickup! You can keep your Power Stroke. :-)

From the Cummins website: Ford does not own Cummins stock
No, at one point Ford owned less than 10% of Cummins stock, but now Ford doesn't own any Cummins stock.

Again, from a Cummins press release: http://www.cummins.com/news/benefit.html
CUMMINS ENGINE TO ISSUE 3.75 MILLION COMMON SHARES TO ESTABLISH EMPLOYEE BENEFITS TRUST. REPURCHASE OF 3 MILLION SHARES ALSO AUTHORIZED BY COMPANY - SHARES REPURCHASED FROM FORD MOTOR COMPANY - KENNETH DABROWSKI RESIGNS FROM BOARD. COLUMBUS, Ind.
(Jan. 3, 1997) - Cummins Engine Co. Inc. today announced that it will issue 3.75 million shares of its common stock to an employee benefits trust for use in meeting the company's future obligations under employee benefit and compensation plans. While the trust shares may be used to fund a number of these plans, the principal use will be in funding contributions to employee retirement savings programs the company revised on January 1, 1997.
Formation of the trust and issuance of the shares to the trust will have no effect on the company's earnings per share calculation. Shares of common stock held by the trust will not be used in calculating the company's reported earnings per share until the shares are distributed from the trust and allocated to a benefit plan.
The company also announced that it has repurchased 1.3 million shares of its common stock from Ford Motor Company and has authorized the repurchase of an additional 1.7 million shares in the open market. In accordance with the terms of the company's 1990 investment agreement with Ford, Kenneth R. Dabrowski, a Ford vice president who has recently served on the Cummins Board of Directors under the terms of the investment agreement has resigned, effective with the repurchase. Following the repurchase from Ford, the company has approximately 38.2 million shares outstanding.
Cummins, headquartered in Columbus, Ind., is a leading worldwide designer and manufacturer of diesel engines and related products. These engines provide power for its key markets: automotive, power generation, industrial and filtration.

since this whole thread is "i heard"s , i heard ford had bought out cummins and has been waiting for the contract with dodge to expire. ive also heard ford is making their scorpion diesel. so why would they make their own if they are putting the cummins in. my oppinion, scorpion or cummins will be a winning match for ford

kmzlawncare
03-01-2009, 09:04 PM
I have a f-750 with a cummins in it and I have had alot more trouble with it then any of my powerstrokes. I"m not saying there is anything wrong with cummins this is just my experience.

TXNSLighting
03-05-2009, 03:35 PM
You need to smack your Bro in law.

TXNSLighting
03-05-2009, 03:40 PM
First no one will be running a small cat. the reasonis not because of emissions it is simply cat decided it was not cost effective to stay in the small engine market. This was decided about a year ago maybe longer. now as far a ford running a cummins who knows and no ford does not own cummins. Many years ago ford bought what was 10 percent of cummins from cummins to help them get back on their feet. once cummins was back on their feet they bought the stock back. Do I think their will be any switches maybe so I think maybe gm to cut cost will go to the Isuzu diesel and get rid of the duramax. I think ford will stay with international and dodge will stay with cummins. Now this is all suposition especially with the auto makers sreamin about being broke.

Internaional and Ford are done. International is now working with GM.

IA_James
03-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Internaional and Ford are done. International is now working with GM.

Why on Earth would GM do that? Ridiculous.....:rolleyes:

MileHigh
03-06-2009, 12:54 AM
I think maybe gm to cut cost will go to the Isuzu diesel and get rid of the duramax.

o man...the Duramax Diesel is the Isuzu diesel.

my lord.

TXNSLighting
03-06-2009, 01:20 AM
I think maybe gm to cut cost will go to the Isuzu diesel and get rid of the duramax.

I cant believe i missed this!!! Wow! :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

TXNSLighting
03-06-2009, 01:21 AM
Why on Earth would GM do that? Ridiculous.....:rolleyes:

:laugh: Who knows, but this happened i believe over a year ago.

nosparkplugs
03-06-2009, 01:49 AM
In 2007 GM & Navistar signed a "MOU" Memorandum of Understanding; which to us "laymen" it means their talking. The original MOU called for Navistar to purchase the GM medium duty truck line-up 4500/5500. I did some research before this post the MOU was killed in Aug 08. Currently with GM's money woes the deal is off the burner.

LindblomRJ
03-06-2009, 03:02 AM
I am glad this has been a very good thread and has help me see things in a better light instead of the " brother-in-law" outlook!

You need to smack your Bro in law.

:laugh:

Don't even get me started on my brother in law.

TXNSLighting
03-06-2009, 01:42 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: