PDA

View Full Version : pondless at vacation spot?

jbirdturf
02-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Hey guys,

I have a customer that has a lake house that he visits probably 1 or 2 times a month. He has been asking about having a waterfall installed there, but I am concerned with installing this feature, and not leaving it running. He doesn't want to keep it running when he is not there. Is there any way to install a pondless feature, with falls, that is only ran 1 or 2 weekends a month? What would you guys do in this situation?

BSDeality
02-24-2009, 10:27 AM
just install the pump on a switch. He can turn it on and off when he gets there and leaves. You could put it on a timer that has an extended schedule option if you could find it, but I suspect the switch is the easier/cheaper alternative.

XStream Aquatics
02-24-2009, 10:42 AM
That's the great benefit of having a pondless, it doesn't have to run 24 hrs. a day. Just make sure you make your basin large enough so that when he turns it on it doesn't empty out or drain the water down to low (a check valve is another good idea). You do have to worry about the water if it's only ran 1-2 times a month. There's alot of different treatments for this, I like to Fountec.

BSDeality
02-24-2009, 10:48 AM
If its only going to run 1/2x a month then there aren't going to be any plants in it and you can just put a couple pool chlorine tabs in the basin to keep the water clean.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
02-24-2009, 03:35 PM
If its only going to run 1/2x a month then there aren't going to be any plants in it and you can just put a couple pool chlorine tabs in the basin to keep the water clean.

Doesn't chlorine tabs shorten the life of the liner?

tadpole
02-24-2009, 05:14 PM
forget the Chlorine tabs. Do your aquatic planting in the reservoir basin as normal.

XStream Aquatics
02-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Doesn't chlorine tabs shorten the life of the liner?

I would love to know this answer with proven test results. Tell ya what, I've got a good friend that knows some of the top dogs at Firestone and will see what he can find out.

BSDeality
02-25-2009, 06:44 AM
Doesn't chlorine tabs shorten the life of the liner?hmm I never thought of that. i'll have to ask my supplier next time i bump into him.

The Pondlady
02-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Think about putting a in-line chlorinator. Get one with a control valve so that you can adjust the chlorine level. We have one on our pool and it works great.

scooterbug311
02-27-2009, 12:12 AM
just remember if the water sits too long without running the water or getting air into it the nitrogen cycle will start to take over and you will have alge. i dont care what anyone says nature will try and complete that cycle by starting it up with alge. if he is gone and comes back he is going to have a real nice clean up... and that IS the truth. anyone that claims you dont need filtration in a pondless needs to stop posting on this web site. you need filtration in everything. cuz if you dont mama earth will.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
02-27-2009, 12:18 AM
just remember if the water sits too long without running the water or getting air into it the nitrogen cycle will start to take over and you will have alge. i dont care what anyone says nature will try and complete that cycle by starting it up with alge. if he is gone and comes back he is going to have a real nice clean up... and that IS the truth. anyone that claims you dont need filtration in a pondless needs to stop posting on this web site. you need filtration in everything. cuz if you dont mama earth will.

Very GOOD point, plus the stagnation mean mosquitos.

scooterbug311
02-27-2009, 12:39 AM
and if he wants to empty it out before he leaves that is a lot better then just leaving the water in it. but what a pain in the butt. you can actually use a skimmer in a pondless. i am not lying. it will skim and with that you get the prefillters and scrubbers etc. and in the weir or whatever you use... you can put bio balls or some sort of media in there and put bactiera in AS well as your aquatic plants. it works trust me.

scooterbug311
02-27-2009, 12:50 AM
i have drank water from a pondless set up this way. and it was great tasting. no lie. sorry i am on this "no lie" kick but i feel that there are some people on this pond forum that are full of crap. just my feelings. stl ponds whats up man. how have you been?

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
02-27-2009, 05:30 PM
stl ponds whats up man. how have you been?

Good! Do we know each other????

scooterbug311
03-04-2009, 12:10 AM
not in person but i have talked with you a few times on this forum. i like how you help people and i like your oppinion on things i feel you are one of the good pond builders in this group of people. you and a few others seem to have your head on straight. just thought i would say hello. and formally introduce myself. My name is Corey.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
03-04-2009, 10:53 AM
not in person but i have talked with you a few times on this forum. i like how you help people and i like your oppinion on things i feel you are one of the good pond builders in this group of people. you and a few others seem to have your head on straight. just thought i would say hello. and formally introduce myself. My name is Corey.

Hey Corey, I'm Keith. Thanks for the kind words. I just try to help people build great ponds and direct them in the right direction I hope. I still have a lot to learn between ponds, pavers, natural stone and outdoor kitchens it can get hairy at times. What part of CO are you from? My brother lives in Aurora.

scooterbug311
03-19-2009, 12:58 AM
hey keith. well your welcome for the kind words. i too do hardscape, kitchens, water features, yard care, irriagtion, outdoor lighting and lots of stone work so i TOTALLY understand what it is like to have to learn new stuff. i am glad to know i have a hook up if i need anything. i am in loveland co. just five miles south of fort collins. we serve the intire northern colorado. and i love what i do. where are you at?

ANC Stone Creations
03-30-2009, 12:50 AM
Do you guys do many Rock Column water features?

They work great in both pond and pondless applications, indoors and outdoors!

Check out this site www.ancstonecreations.webs.com