PDA

View Full Version : going rates

joelbouch
02-24-2009, 10:25 PM
hello all i need help my company does moslty all landscape services but we just got handed a a new card to be delt one of are commercail customers wants us to do irragtion work to his existing system and wants us do do it at 4 of his sites ive done the work before and fixed them but my question is this
whats the going rate for

start up

fall blow out

basic maintence

Flow Control
02-24-2009, 10:35 PM
Only you can figure that out. Personally I would sub it out to a irrigation company and hopefully that could benefit the both of you down the road.

joelbouch
02-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Only you can figure that out. Personally I would sub it out to a irrigation company and hopefully that could benefit the both of you down the road.

where not sure yet just trying to get a sense of idea of what everyone else is chargeing and go from there were we are there isnt a really ant irragtion companys per say

Stuttering Stan
02-24-2009, 10:48 PM
It doesn't sound like you really understand irrigation. Find a local company that specializes in the trade.
After looking at your website, you are already a pro. We should be asking you pricing questions:confused::confused::confused:

P.S.- Nice Walker

joelbouch
02-24-2009, 10:56 PM
It doesn't sound like you really understand irrigation. Find a local company that specializes in the trade.
After looking at your website, you are already a pro. We should be asking you pricing questions:confused::confused::confused:

P.S.- Nice Walker

we put it on there for the homeowner see and we get the full serice

thanks

Mike Leary
02-24-2009, 10:59 PM
where not sure yet just trying to get a sense of idea of what everyone else is chargeing and go from there were we are there isnt a really ant irragtion companys per say

Failed the grammer and spelling test, why should we help on pricing? :dizzy:

Mike Leary
02-24-2009, 11:01 PM
we are there isnt a really ant irragtion companys per say

Quote of the month. :hammerhead:

EagleLandscape
02-24-2009, 11:28 PM
Here is the deal. You will need to understand what your costs are to get the job done. This has been discussed a thousand times on LS. I will tell you I can't even break even at $65 an hour. Which means I must charge more than that on a service call. If I could break even at $10, I would be charging alot less. (well not really, but for the sake of argument).

All pricing is dependent upon the cost to get the job done, and what profit you want to make. If you don't know how much it cost you, how do you know if you are making any money?

bicmudpuppy
02-24-2009, 11:53 PM
All pricing is dependent upon the cost to get the job done, and what profit you want to make. If you don't know how much it cost you, how do you know if you are making any money?

Come, come. It just CAN'T be that simple. I've got to be making money, they keep giving me checks to cash. Cash in =X. Cash out=y. I know that y is greater than x, but I AM making money. Really I am. I just cashed a check :)
I do it with new Math and bailout money :)

hoskm01
02-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Aye theenk yew shuld prawbubly hier somewon hoo knoes irrigayshun iff yew half thatt mutch woerk oar subb owt tha werk too anothir compaknee like thee uthers sed

GreenLight
02-25-2009, 07:35 PM
Joel, I will give you some broad pricing that you will really have to convert to the job that you are doing. There are two tremendous factors I encounter on every job. I am not a plumber, so I have to account for having a tap and backflow put in, fortunately I have a friend who is and he will usually do this for me at around $200.00 but trust me, most plumbing companies will be double that (you should be able to put on a ball valve shutoff yourself and a regulator and meter if necessary, but the regulator and meter are about another 100 bucks a piece.)

After that, I look at the lay of the land. For most residential jobs, I am right around $750.00 per zone, but that can vary depending on if it's tiny zone or a fairly large zone. Suffice to say, I don't land many jobs with builders etc. because they want zones put in for $450.00, which is ok if you are dealing with small compact zones that you can throw 5 together in one day and it's done before any planting is installed or sod.

Needless to say, these are still sliding scale prices and I am almost fully residential based. Irrigation is not an easy business to get rich in unless you have a crew of very well trained employees who work fast and are very limited in mistakes. If you don't have a whole lot of experience with putting in an irrigation system from start to finish (from getting a tap put in, until you mount the controller and test your final zone) I can honestly say, don't expect to make much money. Small mistakes, knowing your inventory, measuring, knowing nozzle types, knowing water pressure for the type of heads, etc..can be a fairly complicated game at first and I know I made plenty of mistakes in the beginning.

TRILAWNCARE
02-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Joel, I will give you some broad pricing that you will really have to convert to the job that you are doing. There are two tremendous factors I encounter on every job. I am not a plumber, so I have to account for having a tap and backflow put in, fortunately I have a friend who is and he will usually do this for me at around $200.00 but trust me, most plumbing companies will be double that (you should be able to put on a ball valve shutoff yourself and a regulator and meter if necessary, but the regulator and meter are about another 100 bucks a piece.)

After that, I look at the lay of the land. For most residential jobs, I am right around $750.00 per zone, but that can vary depending on if it's tiny zone or a fairly large zone. Suffice to say, I don't land many jobs with builders etc. because they want zones put in for $450.00, which is ok if you are dealing with small compact zones that you can throw 5 together in one day and it's done before any planting is installed or sod.

Needless to say, these are still sliding scale prices and I am almost fully residential based. Irrigation is not an easy business to get rich in unless you have a crew of very well trained employees who work fast and are very limited in mistakes. If you don't have a whole lot of experience with putting in an irrigation system from start to finish (from getting a tap put in, until you mount the controller and test your final zone) I can honestly say, don't expect to make much money. Small mistakes, knowing your inventory, measuring, knowing nozzle types, knowing water pressure for the type of heads, etc..can be a fairly complicated game at first and I know I made plenty of mistakes in the beginning.

I thought he was asking for pricing on maintaining and repairing a existing system for his current customer.

bicmudpuppy
02-25-2009, 08:04 PM
I thought he was asking for pricing on maintaining and repairing a existing system for his current customer.

I've read the OP many times and I'm still fairly sure he doesn't know what he was asking, let alone what to do with a meaningful answer. Good News, not much chance of a meaningful answer here :)

Mike Leary
02-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Good News, not much chance of a meaningful answer here :)

I never got past the spelling and grammar, so not to worry. Maybe we'll hear from him again when he gets the question worded so we dunderheads will understand. :confused:

Wet_Boots
02-25-2009, 09:09 PM
So let's give him a bread recipe.

EagleLandscape
02-25-2009, 09:45 PM
better yet... keep posting meaningless replies:)

GreenLight
02-25-2009, 09:45 PM
My fault, upon initially reading it I thought he was saying he would be picking up 4 jobs from said party hiring for this one (I thought that was installation, but that is because I didn't read his post properly)

Stuttering Stan
02-25-2009, 09:49 PM
I understand why you couldn't figure out the question. I'm still laughing at the grammer mistakes.

joelbouch
02-25-2009, 09:58 PM
you guys are asses really grow up ya i know i have grammar issues but dont have to blow me out of the watter so from me to you go **** yourself and hope you fail in life

Mike Leary
02-25-2009, 10:03 PM
better yet... keep posting meaningless replies:)

John, why would busy professionals stoop to that?:rolleyes:

hoskm01
02-25-2009, 10:08 PM
you guys are asses really grow up ya i know i have grammar issues but dont have to blow me out of the watter so from me to you go **** yourself and hope you fail in life
Very professional. Keep on truckin!

Mike Leary
02-25-2009, 10:11 PM

Everything you've said is true; except the failing in life part; we have no such plans. :waving:

Stuttering Stan
02-25-2009, 10:17 PM
I don't think you understand. We pride ourselves on being reputable, educated businessmen. What would your customers think if you sent out a flyer with grammer mistakes? The fundamentals of running a successful business include being able to communicate effectively with customers, whether it be verbally or in writing. Show us that you can communicate and we will take you seriously.

hoskm01
02-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Joel, seriously.

Grow some skin and take some cheap shots.

Though my reply was intended to hit you in the midsection, which apparently it did, the point was real. We've told it to many other newbs, many times.

You cant expect a reasonable answer to a question to which there are so many variables. Honestly, three or four reasonable suggestions have been made to you here. Hire a tech, sub it out, then learn from either of those two and do it differently, if you choose, when you know the trade. Irrigation work may not be rocket science or brain surgery, but it's not trash pickup and floor mopping either.

joelbouch
02-25-2009, 11:06 PM
I don't think you understand. We pride ourselves on being reputable, educated businessmen. What would your customers think if you sent out a flyer with grammer mistakes? The fundamentals of running a successful business include being able to communicate effectively with customers, whether it be verbally or in writing. Show us that you can communicate and we will take you seriously.

ok the website i created you see any errors on that mailings i got a copany that handles it all but just wana say i figured out the price so thanks anyways and all my life ive had people take shoots at me and am tired of it so thats why i i snaped one or 2 sure but not more then 10

Stuttering Stan
02-25-2009, 11:35 PM
all my life ive had people take shoots at me and am tired of it so thats why i i snaped

We've all experienced people picking on us in life. I've had a speech problem my whole life, but I don't let that get in the way of living life and chasing my dreams. I've learned to work around my speech and use it to my advantage. You might consider trying to improve upon your writing by taking college writing classes.
By the way, you might need to get some tuff skin. We tend to be harsh on this forum, but it's all in good fun, nothing personal.

CALandscapes
02-25-2009, 11:41 PM
$8.00/man-hour :dizzy:

Wet_Boots
02-26-2009, 08:38 AM
Or hire little people and pay them $4.00 an hour.

hoskm01
02-26-2009, 08:55 AM
Or hire little people and pay them $4.00 an hour.
But their tiny hands fit in 6" valve boxes; maybe a raise is in order.

bicmudpuppy
02-27-2009, 12:17 AM
ok the website i created you see any errors on that mailings i got a copany that handles it all but just wana say i figured out the price so thanks anyways and all my life ive had people take shoots at me and am tired of it so thats why i i snaped one or 2 sure but not more then 10

Read what you wrote again. Better yet, cut and paste it into a word processing program and SPELL CHECK it. (or use a web browser with spell check). After you spell check it, then READ it again. My grade school nephew would put more effort into a note he intended to pass in class than that. The shots are cheap, but so was the question. Respect is earned. It is not some gifted right (even if your a Democrat). The crowd here is actually very helpful and tolerant (present poster excluded) of noobs, provided they are civil, ask semi-intelligent questions, and appear to be literate enough to be professional. Guess what? you flunked all three. You didn't fail the civil test until your second post! Wow, better luck next time.

bicmudpuppy
02-27-2009, 12:27 AM

Read what you wrote again. Better yet, cut and paste it into a word processing program and SPELL CHECK it. (or use a web browser with spell check). After you spell check it, then READ it again. My grade school nephew would put more effort into a note he intended to pass in class than that. The shots are cheap, but so was the question. Respect is earned. It is not some gifted right (even if your a Democrat). The crowd here is actually very helpful and tolerant (present poster excluded) of noobs, provided they are civil, ask semi-intelligent questions, and appear to be literate enough to be professional. Guess what? you flunked all three. You didn't fail the civil test until your second post! Wow, better luck next time.

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-27-2009, 06:56 AM
Nothing going here... Back to my book.

Dripit good
02-27-2009, 07:16 AM
I had a feeling I was missing the fun. :dancing:

H2O
02-27-2009, 08:13 AM
joelbouch ,
First, you should read this -
http://www.irrigationassociationne.org/IrrigationLicenseBill.htm

2. Find a local company that specializes in the trade:

http://www.irrigation.org/directories/default.aspx?pg=certification.ascx&id=53

OR

http://www.epa.gov/watersense/pp/lists/irr_partners.htm

TRILAWNCARE
02-27-2009, 09:16 AM
I've had a speech problem my whole life, but I don't let that get in the way of living life and chasing my dreams. I've learned to work around my speech and use it to my advantage.

My father had a stuttering problem. If that is what your speech problem is, just guessing from your user name, and too lazy to check the FBI database. :laugh:

He went to a auctioneer's school. Cured that problem. Might be something to think about.

Stuttering Stan
02-27-2009, 12:52 PM
My father had a stuttering problem. If that is what your speech problem is, just guessing from your user name, and too lazy to check the FBI database. :laugh:

He went to a auctioneer's school. Cured that problem. Might be something to think about.

FBI database? I like that.
Thanks for the tip. I been to several classes, help groups, get rich quick schemes, shock therapy (joking), nothing has worked. It's just how the good Lord made me. I've learned to live with it and enjoy life.

Wet_Boots
02-27-2009, 12:59 PM
FBI database? I like that.
Thanks for the tip. I been to several classes, help groups, get rich quick schemes, shock therapy (joking), nothing has worked. It's just how the good Lord made me. I've learned to live with it and enjoy life.Two words - Rap Music :)

AI Inc
02-27-2009, 01:21 PM
he already said the 2 words, enjoy life.

Wet_Boots
02-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Mas Cerveza! :drinkup: