PDA

View Full Version : Respirator or No Respirator??

ultracut518
02-25-2009, 07:42 AM
This topic was brought up recently in another thread (Fogged Up), so I figured it would be a good topic of its own.........

So who is (or is not) wearing a respirator or dust mask while making applications (such as liqued broadleaf herb, etc.)??

Jason Rose
02-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Does the label state that a respirator or mask must be worn (PPE)? If not, then I don't believe there is reason to wear one. Not to mention, if you are out, wearing a face mask, when it's not needed, it's just going to aid in giving the chemical industry a worse imiage. However if YOU feel more comfortable protecting youself then by all means, do it. Just like wearing eye or ear protection while running equipment, or sun screen or long sleeves in the summer, it's a personal choice you have to make about your own body.

foreplease
02-25-2009, 10:07 AM
I always wear a respirator. I think it gives me and the industry a better image.

JB1
02-25-2009, 10:10 AM
what ever the label says wear, I do.

Turfdoctor1
02-25-2009, 01:14 PM
I always wear a respirator. I think it gives me and the industry a better image.

wearing a respirator when not needed is the exact opposite of the image I want to portray of our industry.

why portray that what you are spraying is dangerous to inhale, if it is not?

ultracut518
02-25-2009, 06:12 PM
good points

Ducke
02-25-2009, 07:00 PM
I never wear one .
Around here if I wore a mask I would have 3/4 of green peace on my a$$.:hammerhead:
anyways what we use here is environmentally safe and applies to all anti pesticide laws ;)

phasthound
02-25-2009, 07:25 PM
I never wear one .
Around here if I wore a mask I would have 3/4 of green peace on my a$$.:hammerhead:
anyways what we use here is environmentally safe and applies to all anti pesticide laws ;)

Nova Scotia? Grass grows in Nova Scotia? :)

Ducke
02-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Nova Scotia? Grass grows in Nova Scotia? :)

Well for at least two months of the years is dose. :rolleyes:

Think Green
02-25-2009, 09:39 PM
I tell you one darn thing............The label tells you to wear coveralls????????? I am not wearing coverall for anyone and that includes the late-great Roy Clarke!!!!!
I wear Nitrile gloves approved by niosh, boots and socks( If you are spraying barefoot, then you need your head examined.) Longsleeve shirt, and chemical or water resistant chaps...............! If I have to look like a NASA Astronaut and will die of heat stroke from all of the appropriate PPE, then I will quit the business........... Tell these regulators to go out on a day that is 115 degrees with 50% relative humidity and wear this damn stuff! End of Story!

As far as respirator, When I am applying 3-way material or Pre-M herbicides. Insecticides.......You better believe it!!!!!!!!!!!

foreplease
02-26-2009, 12:21 AM
I made only two foliar applications last year with fertilizer, everything else was a pesticide, whether herbicide, insecticide, or fungicide. Wearing protective equipment, including a respirator, makes me feel that I am doing everything I can to take care of myself. It also completely prevents interruptions from others and sends a signal that I am using full strength high quality materials. - and that I am a careful applicator.

mngrassguy
02-26-2009, 12:58 AM
I've been doing this for 20+ years and I've NEVER seen anyone wearing either.

humble1
02-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Is it okay to wear a full face respirator flip flops, shorts and a tank top?

I wear what the label says, when I spray for mosquitos I wear a full face.
When I treat for ticks, I wear the white suit and a cartridge filter. The suit protects me from the dust of the monkey grinder and keeps the ticks off me.
I use spray rig on my rider, I have gotten a face full once in a while so it does concern me.

rwlawnworks
02-26-2009, 09:31 AM
I always wear one.Quit woring about what people think and take care of your lungs so you can keep doing what your doing.Take a look at your equipment at the end of even just one application.If you really think thats not going to get into your lungs,may want to let people know what color flowers you like.

Think Green
02-26-2009, 09:17 PM
You are ever sooooo correct in saying that all professionals should protect their bodies. I have sustained heat exhaustion each year for 18 years. I have sustained two heat strokes using the proper PPE in this business. I used OSHA approved wear in a previous line of professions and the people who design this stuff don't wear it. Sometimes I wish they had to wear it in the blistering heat.................... However, it is admirable of anyone protecting themselves.

humble1,

Quote!-"Is it okay to wear a full face respirator flip flops, shorts and a tank top?"

You are killing me!!!

JB1
02-26-2009, 09:22 PM
we have one place where I have to wear nomex coveralls, real nice in warm weather.