PDA

View Full Version : Spyker spreader border patrol

sprayboy
02-25-2009, 08:21 AM
Anybody use one of these on their spyker spreader. It says in the manuel on their website that it shuts off half of the hopper for trimming.

Can't get any response from spyker website email and they don't answer their phone.

a plus bob
02-25-2009, 08:58 AM
ITS just a plastic side shield.You flip it down to trim sidewalks,drives,etc.This is a must have or you are going to do alot of blowing.I keep it down to do prop. lines so you will have a defined line

Jason Rose
02-25-2009, 08:59 AM
The border patrol is simply a guard on the side of the spreader that flips down to block and deflect fert from being thrown to that side. The disadvantage to them is that the Spyker has no way to also cut the flow of fertilizer when using the border patrol. Meaning that once you close the guard you are then overdosing your edges (still flowing out of the spreader at the same rate, but only throwing it onto half the area).

Spreaders like the Lesco you have the ability to close off one of the 3 holes when using the edger (border patrol) so you get a more even application.

I had a lawn once that another service was fertilizing, new service, they used the crap out of their deflector, but never closed the 3rd hole. It was obvious. By later in the year the perimeter around everything was about 5 shades darker green than the rest of the lawn, and the growth to match.

JDUtah
02-25-2009, 12:08 PM
great spreader, not impressed with the ad-ons... topdressing kit, border patrol, etc.

Also, having been involved in assembly instructions and videos.. they sorely need to fire their assembly engineer and hire a new one. If it wasn't for such a solid spreader I would not be buying from them again. BUT having said that, this year will put them to the test.. so far I am impressed.

a plus bob
02-25-2009, 01:09 PM
I have a shield to do sidewalks in winter and a spinner for penn mulch both work great.

frotis
04-20-2009, 10:12 AM
The border patrol is simply a guard on the side of the spreader that flips down to block and deflect fert from being thrown to that side. The disadvantage to them is that the Spyker has no way to also cut the flow of fertilizer when using the border patrol. Meaning that once you close the guard you are then overdosing your edges (still flowing out of the spreader at the same rate, but only throwing it onto half the area).

Spreaders like the Lesco you have the ability to close off one of the 3 holes when using the edger (border patrol) so you get a more even application.

I had a lawn once that another service was fertilizing, new service, they used the crap out of their deflector, but never closed the 3rd hole. It was obvious. By later in the year the perimeter around everything was about 5 shades darker green than the rest of the lawn, and the growth to match.

The Spyker is designed to give even coverage with the border patrol down, without the need for a "3rd hole". The material that hits the guard is fed back onto the impeller, just doesn't drop like the Lesco.

dave k
04-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Anybody use one of these on their spyker spreader. It says in the manuel on their website that it shuts off half of the hopper for trimming.

Can't get any response from spyker website email and they don't answer their phone.

I just put one on my spreader and the directions weren't that great, I had to put the spring in a different position so it would sit right, the way they showed the spring the deflector was at an angle, for what that spreader cost it should have been on it already! Very pricey add on:cry:
Also supposed to turn it on or off with yor foot, yea right.
I sent them an e-mail about it, they never called me back or returned the e-mail, pretty poor customer service. One guy said the 800 number didn't work, so not sure what is happening with them?

frotis
04-20-2009, 07:27 PM
I just put one on my spreader and the directions weren't that great, I had to put the spring in a different position so it would sit right, the way they showed the spring the deflector was at an angle, for what that spreader cost it should have been on it already! Very pricey add on:cry:
Also supposed to turn it on or off with yor foot, yea right.
I sent them an e-mail about it, they never called me back or returned the e-mail, pretty poor customer service. One guy said the 800 number didn't work, so not sure what is happening with them?

Spykers 800 # is working now:

Technical Support: 800.972.6130