PDA

View Full Version : This ever happen to you?

Bru75
02-25-2009, 10:15 AM
I showed up to start a retaining wall job last year, contract signed, layout decided, and material on the way. A friendly neighbor stopped by who "used to do this kind of work", proceeded to ask where I got my wall blocks, and then to tell me (IN FRONT OF THE HOMEOWNER) where I could have gotten the material cheaper. Factory seconds.
I was put in an awkward position and had to explain that there is a reason that seconds are seconds, and that I don't use them.
The subject was dropped after I explained that the block was on it's way, freight would still have to be paid, and I just did not want to do that to my supplier.
Anybody else have something like this happen?

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
02-25-2009, 11:28 AM
"Well Mr X, That might be good for your customer's but mine only get the best materials available". Sounds like a good response.

kootoomootoo
02-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Ive installed 1 job where a customer bought 2nds. The others I have said no.

The friggin block had bulges...nothing had a flat top or bottom some did some didnt....1/4in+ difference in thicknesses etc etc....nothing laid true. Never again.

LB1234
02-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Explain you weren't hiring any financial consultants at this time but when the time came you would call him.

Bru75
02-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Exactly my thought STL! I do quality work and use quality materials.
Thanks for the confirmation, Kootoo, that is what I assumed. The guy said that the only reason for them being seconds was color, I figured it had to be more than that.
What got me steamed was that he said all this in front of my customer, and I could see the light bulb start to come on in his head.

JB1
02-25-2009, 07:31 PM
had a friend that used these so called factory seconds, he said I could save a lot of money on these, oh sure these didn't have the lip on the back of them to lock in place. he learned after his wall fell over a couple of times but he really saved money alright.

Isobel
02-26-2009, 12:34 AM
that's happened to me with landscape plants rather than hardscaping materials. Had a neighbor say to me, oh well you can get cheaper plants at Store X.

I told them the same thing I tell everyone, I buy my plants based on the quality rather than the price. I will put my name behind the suppliers that I use, which isn't Store X.

I've never really had a problem with that. Sometimes clients will ask if they could buy the plants and save some money. I say yes, we will charge you the same labor amount, but I won't give you any sort of plant warranty, and we will charge you for our time if we have to replace it at any point in the future. Client's usually understand that, and we stick to our original plan.

Lucky Star Lawn Care
02-26-2009, 01:54 AM
What a ******...those are the times when you hate having to bite your tounge and arent able to tell that guy how you really feel