PDA

View Full Version : sod pricing in NJ

SOS Landscaping
02-25-2009, 12:35 PM
I have a customer who has a new construction house. Builder threw down the worst dirt, hay, terrible seed etc... basically nothing but big weeds grew. Im pushing sod off onto the guy as that is what most of his neighbors did, but it was a big project, bobcats came in took out 3-4" of soil and added all topsoil and then laid the sod.... I want to say someone told me early last year that sod was going for $150 a pallet around here, sounds super cheap to me though. Anyone what are you guys doing per pallet installed?

bigviclbi
02-25-2009, 01:11 PM
about .20 cents a square foot 500 square feet a pallet = $100 a pallet

SOS Landscaping
02-25-2009, 01:13 PM
about .20 cents a square foot 500 square feet a pallet = $100 a pallet

that is your cost for the pallet, or that is all you are charging to install it?

Jersey Shore Landscaping
02-25-2009, 02:06 PM
i would think that's the price for material we pay .18 a sq ft delivered

SOS Landscaping
02-25-2009, 02:48 PM
i would think that's the price for material we pay .18 a sq ft delivered

so what are you chargin to install

Jersey Shore Landscaping
02-25-2009, 02:55 PM
we don't charge per sq ft we figure out how long it is going to take from loading the trucks to head to the site till the job is totally done and all the tools away and we charge 48 per man hour every operation is different buy charging a price per sq ft maybe your company can make money but another one cant at that price all depends on your over head. we bid almost everything like that sorry i couldn't give you an exact number just not how my operation works

SOS Landscaping
02-25-2009, 02:58 PM
we don't charge per sq ft we figure out how long it is going to take from loading the trucks to head to the site till the job is totally done and all the tools away and we charge 48 per man hour every operation is different buy charging a price per sq ft maybe your company can make money but another one cant at that price all depends on your over head. we bid almost everything like that sorry i couldn't give you an exact number just not how my operation works
Thanks for that info. I sort of figured it was like that as I do most of my work like that too. This will just be our first sold installation, and dont have enough experience laying sod to look at it and think it will take X amount of hours...

lawns Etc
02-25-2009, 04:29 PM
I pay .14 delivered Fescue or Blue and I charge man hours on the job for installing plus any extra grading etc. But I mark up the SOD also to $.25 sq ft delivered

SOS Landscaping
02-25-2009, 05:11 PM
on a job with little leveling, good amount of edging along sidewalks, how long do you average per pallet with 2-3guys? Just looking for something rough here. Im going to give the customer a price per pallet, and then I will bill my normal $40 per man hour, but I would like to give him a rough estimate of how long it will take. I havent measured yet, but I am thinking it will be around 3-4pallets. He has a corner lot that the yard is curved, so I seee a lot of waste coming out of it as I will have to cut a lot of the sod to match up with the curbline

dKoester
02-25-2009, 05:43 PM
It all has to do with the prep work. Around here it is between $9-12 a yard with heavy prep. If the yard has already been prepared it is around 300 per pallet. Sod runs 120 per pallet.

tombo82685
02-25-2009, 10:12 PM
This has nothing to do with sod prices. I just wanted to comment on the aspect of hay since it was mentioned. Hay, actually is not really a good idea for seeding. Hay actually will grow into your lawn, I've seen it before. Mulch or hydroseed is the best for covering up/ or mixing with seed

SOS Landscaping
02-25-2009, 10:22 PM
This has nothing to do with sod prices. I just wanted to comment on the aspect of hay since it was mentioned. Hay, actually is not really a good idea for seeding. Hay actually will grow into your lawn, I've seen it before. Mulch or hydroseed is the best for covering up/ or mixing with seed

Yes I agree, that is why all of his neighbors had the current soil removed and top soil was installed before the sod.

DLAWNS
02-25-2009, 11:08 PM

This is similar to the way that we price sod jobs.