PDA

View Full Version : How did you start out in the biz?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Just a fun poll, trying to get some idea of how you started out in the Outdoor Lighting business.

Obviously this is intended only for those who are actually involved in the business, either as a stand alone lighting company, or a multifaceted business that installs professional quality outdoor lighting systems.

Enjoy!

JeffY
02-25-2009, 03:16 PM
I hang out primarily in the irrigation division, but the company I am in considers irrigation and lighting to be similiar. I know the majority of you guys disagree and believe that both should be seperate businesses, but unfortunately I do not have much say in that matter. So in order to educate myself and learn the tricks of the trade, I've attended seminars that were held at my distributer (which also happens to be our irrigation supplier) and learned the technical details from the manufacturers such as Vista. I've also researched and studied up in books that I have purchased to further educate myself. We do not install much lighting, maybe 2 to 5 small jobs a year, but I believe it is important to do it right and not just guess. I've also learned by lurking behind the scenes and reading all you guys' posts.

irrigation lemieux
02-25-2009, 04:52 PM
We do primary irrigation.we try lighting last 4 year without success.finally we did 5 jobs last year.our goal this year is 20 jobs.we attends seminar from distributor.looking forward to do course during off season.maybe go work for a week or so for someone in the south to learning trick of the trade.

Tomwilllight
02-25-2009, 05:09 PM
James,

Perhaps you may want to add a second poll? I'll suggest a first question:

Are you sorry you jumped into a difficult and demanding trade without really understanding what is expected of a professional landscape lighting installer/designer?

Tom

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-25-2009, 06:12 PM
James,

Perhaps you may want to add a second poll? I'll suggest a first question:

Are you sorry you jumped into a difficult and demanding trade without really understanding what is expected of a professional landscape lighting installer/designer?

Tom

:) Let's wait a bit and see how the results come in Tom.

Seeing as I am one of only two (so far) to respond to Q5 on the above poll, I can tell you that I have absolutely NO regrets. I found a niche, discovered an opportunity, and developed a market where none had existed before. So far so good. The challenge was great, the experience has been amazing, and the results have been rewarding and fun. One of the most cool and amazing things is that after 11 years, those very first clients of mine are still in contact with me and I still take care of them. Must be doing something right I guess. :)