PDA

View Full Version : Should I take this job or not??

Ben's Landscape
02-25-2009, 03:31 PM
I have a question on weither i should take this job or not?? I was talking to one of my teachers in school and he said that he wants some cobel stone put along one of his flower beds. I was fine with this until he told me that the bed is on a couner lot and the cobel stone would be going right against the street since the snow plow ripped up his landscape timbers. In my town the city owns 7 feet into the property. Which would make this job on city property. Should i take the job or not??

P.S. I am also doing some other work for this teacher such as his spring cleanup this spring.

Carolina Cuts
02-25-2009, 04:17 PM
City property??? I would think you would have to have some kind of approval before messin' around with city property... I'd be a little concerned about that gig....

d&rlawncare
02-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Were I live you have to have a permit to do any work within the right of way. I would call the city or county to find out if you need a permit.

GracesLandscaping
02-25-2009, 06:21 PM
go for it, just warn him that if it gets in the citys way it will probably be ruined. i dont see the difference in this and people putting a little mulch/flower bed around their mailbox

GracesLandscaping
02-25-2009, 06:21 PM
and to add to that, plenty of people have brick mailboxes and thats a permanant structure

The Elements Group
02-25-2009, 06:26 PM
make a call just to have the knowledge and go from there... did that help you out?(what i sent ya)

paponte
02-25-2009, 06:54 PM
You would need permission from the town/county for it. Also they will accept no responsibility for any curbing other than poured cement. I would check with your specific town.

Lucky Star Lawn Care
02-26-2009, 12:25 AM
Check with the City dont wanna get started then they show up to ruin your day and bust your balls on everything

Ben's Landscape
02-26-2009, 08:24 AM
Thanks a lot to everybodys replys!! Since i am still in high school i think i will tell my teacher that i have done some research and i am not interested in the job!! I think i will just stick to his spring clean up and some mulch.

yardatwork
02-26-2009, 08:40 AM
The town might not actually own the 7 feet rather they have the "right away" within the first 7 feet of the property. Here's how you find out if the town owns that sections of property...ask them to come fix the railroad ties that they ripped out! They will laugh at you and say that it's your responsibility since it's YOUR property.

Ben's Landscape
02-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Good point yardatwork!!!

Central Island Lawn
02-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Get a written contract that states that you are operating under the provisions set forth by the client. As the contractor, make sure that you get any permits and add those to the invoice. Make certain that there is a clause that states that should this installation be damaged by acts of nature and third parties that you will not be held liable and that any repairs will not be covered by any sort of warranty. Then recommend to the client that the installation be moved at least 2 meters (6 feet) from the edge of the street to avoid damage by plows and errant traffic.

Ben's Landscape
02-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Central Island Lawn I like your idea because if the garden is moved away from the street that elimates any damage to the bed and i could posibly get the job to move the flower bed!!! Thanks again for all the replys!!

Isobel
02-26-2009, 08:02 PM
in many towns around here you need permission from the town to work that close to the street. It usually isn't a major deal to just call up th elocal town clerks office and figure out the specifics. the alternative, if you don't call, is that you could get in trouble.

Here there is a distinct difference between a homeowner making modifications to their own property, and having the homeowner hire a contractor to do the job.

Murphy's LawnCare
02-26-2009, 08:28 PM
You could just work out an hourly wage through him maybe get it in writing that you are working as his employee that way you have no liability.

STIHL GUY
02-26-2009, 09:51 PM
call the city and check. you could end up making some good money on that job