PDA

View Full Version : Do you accept credit cards?

Tony Harrell
03-10-2002, 09:37 AM
Let's update this topic since most of the previous posts are so old. And yes, I did do the search. Please tell us as much about this as possible please. Thanks

lawrence stone
03-10-2002, 10:04 AM
I do not. There is a method to my madness besides the cost and hassle of accepting credit cards. If the customer is more interested in airline miles vs. what his property looks like I am not interested in doing business with this type of person.

Now if you are in the landscape construction biz that's another story.

But for myself who does full service lawn and landscape maintenance I look for customers that have money in the bank and can cut me a check 8 months of the year until they die or move out of my service area.

Many of you guys need to qualify your customers and stop working for people with cash flow issues. When looking at new job the first question that should come to your mind is:

Does this account have the means to go the long haul?

heygrassman
03-10-2002, 11:05 AM
There is some validity in Mr. Stone comments about CC's. However, if there are cash flow problems you may not ever know unless you run credit checks on every customer. I could concieveable live is a $500K house and have cash flow problems. Once we break 50 to 75 regular accounts we will begin to accept credit cards (most likely with a fee of $2-3 dollar). If my senior citizen customer is more happy to get air miles to be able to go see the grandkids and is willing to pay my processing fee then she is happy and I am happy.

I also agree with Mr. Stone regarding installation. Accepting cards would be very convenient.

jf

John Allin
03-10-2002, 05:32 PM
We accept them, and prefer them.

Mykster
03-11-2002, 01:47 AM
How do you go about getting set-up to take credit cards and, how much does it cost to get set-up?

LawnLad
03-11-2002, 08:42 AM
We're in the process of getting quotes now for credit cards. I believe that it will provide some of my otherwise good, but slow paying customers, a payment option (that may become mandatory for habitual late payers).

As well, more and more customers have been asking for it. If people choose to use their credit cards irresponsibly and live beyond their means, that's their choice. They'll do it whether they spend the money with me or at the department store.

I believe that credit/debit cards are becoming more of a way of life for people as customers do not want to write out a check if they can avoid it. I'm not saying it's the future of all payments, but I see a growing interest in it. I might as well get on board now when it's a choice rather than being forced to do it down the road.

SCL
03-11-2002, 10:16 AM
There are telemarketer types that try to sell you on a low rate per purchase, but you have to buy their expensive scanners. Try your local banks, they're competitive and you can buy or lease equip from them cheaper. I myself haven't done this yet, but I have looked on E-Bay and there are always credit card machines on there. Trying to figure out how I want to do this.

Stonehenge
03-11-2002, 11:02 AM
Tony's comment notwithstanding, run a search. There's lots of great info on this topic.

And while the info is probably a whole year old, I think you'll find that there was still electricity and running water back then, and the info contained there still applies.

A suggestion: if you want to add to an old thread, just reply to it. It'll bring it back to the top and give everyone the context for your question.

Tony Harrell
03-11-2002, 11:40 AM
When I did the search, there was not much useful info and I'm assuming some new members have been added. I agree that the search function is valuable but, we don't all have time to browse for hours on every hit of a particular search. There's no need to belittle a post, just ignore it or you'll lose members to the other site which embraces members. And when and if that site belittles members, a new site will pop up. Remember, thousands of guys were very successful before these sites came along.

Stonehenge
03-11-2002, 02:29 PM
Tony,

These threads didn't have much useful info?

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=9799

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=24854

Then maybe you should do now what you should have done in the first place. Ask a specific question. The question you pose is impossibly broad, like asking, 'tell me everything you know about trucks.' It appears you are belittling the efforts of the many members who have come before you by stating that there wasn't anything in those threads of use to you. I found the info to be incredibly helpful.

I think you'd find people would be much more willing to spend time to give you a response if you were to demonstrate that you've done a little homework yourself, and not just asked for a handout. Have some respect for the people who have taken time to give free advice here, and read what they've written, and ask articulate, specific questions. You'll find people more than willing to offer a great deal of help - just don't treat them like they owe you.

And you can use the 'other site' if you like, but if you do a little homework, I think you'll find me there, too.

Bob Minney
03-11-2002, 08:27 PM
We set up our credit cards through our bank. They charge us about 2 1/2% with a $25 a month minimum. We double our credit card sales every year. 95%+ of ours is done over the phone & we didn't have to buy a machine. They did give me one of the manual imprinters that I use in the field about 5-10 times a year. People seem to like having the option. Only about 1 in 5 LCOs around here accept them so it's just one more thing to set me apart.

Tony Harrell
03-11-2002, 08:48 PM
Thanks to all of you who posted very helpful information. I just wanted you all to know that I have been lurking here for quite a long time and have only recently been posting questions. Again, THANK YOU. We all are aware of the search feature are we not? Sometimes, given time, new people and perspectives we need to ask questions regardless of the search feature. I did a search on a different topic the other day and it took several hours to gleen information related to my search. Sometimes, there is TOO MUCH IRRELEVENT information. No one needs to remind us of the search feature and if someone takes it personal that we even ask, then I guess there isn't room here for new people? Maybe that's why there is another forum to pose questions where "use the search" is not repeated by the hall monitors. I'm sure there are numerous people who have been offended by someone, who, instead of helping, decided to throw that phrase at him. Those new guys may have left for a more open and helpful forum. If you have a big business and are making tons of money, don't let the new, little people hold you up. Just remember, we don't need you. As far as I know, the green industry does not revolve around you and has been growig at an incredible pace before you came.

lawrence stone
03-11-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Tony Harrell
Those new guys may have left for a more open and helpful forum. If you have a big business and are making tons of money, don't let the new, little people hold you up. Just remember, we don't need you. As far as I know, the green industry does not revolve around you and has been growig at an incredible pace before you came.

Tony you have the attitude of a bum the eats in the soup kitchen for free and complains about the quality of the food served.

In the future I will refrain from offering you any advise as not to injure your sensibilities.

Good health and good luck.

Tony Harrell
03-11-2002, 09:10 PM
Mr. Stone, Thanks because apparently you're one of the ones who think we're not supposed to ask questions. If you can't see what is in my post then I appreciate your offer to refrain from giving advice. Also, unless there are a lot of people with anxiety disorders viewing my post, SOMEONE ELSE wants some info too. I see however, the moderator replied with an opinion and did not blow the question off. Now, exactly where does this disorder start? 500 posts? A thousand? All that proves is you're online all the time.

SCL
03-12-2002, 10:26 AM
Now that we've all vented, what was the question again?:(

1MajorTom
03-12-2002, 10:23 PM
Tony,

To answer your question, no we do not accept credit cards at this time. Most of our accounts are lawn maintenance right now.
If our business expands well into fertilization, we may consider adding that payment option.

I do think anyone heavy into the landscaping end, should accept credit cards.

BTW, you mention the other forum. 95% of the member there are members here too. There's just not much to search over there, so of course the search feature is not going to be mentioned. ;)

Hang around, you'll learn something here too. With a lot more activity here, it's bound to not be as sugary sweet, but it's the real world, and you'll find a lot of helpful members here. :)

Just Cut
03-16-2002, 06:32 AM
No we do not accept credit cards, everyone pre pays by the week, month or the season