PDA

View Full Version : Look at 07 F-450

ppl
02-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Here is the deal what would be a fare price for an 07 F-450 mason dump.
The truck is new with 6.0 diesel
8x11 mason dump
200 miles
Electric dump
Auto trans
Sitting on the lot for 2.5 years
What do you think would be a fare price?

Marek
02-25-2009, 05:49 PM
you need a few more details. What options are on it , how heavy is the hoist , who makes the body ?

blackangus86
02-25-2009, 06:26 PM
6.0 are typically bad news. Why has it been sitting on the lot that long?

ppl
02-25-2009, 06:39 PM
4x2
xl package
tilt steering
cruise
a/c
cd
Body is America' body company
12ga sides
7ga floor

hoist 7000lbs

newtostone
02-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Your looking at $25,000. or less. 6.0's that have sat for a while run into issues.

ppl
02-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Justing sitting around will cause problems.

Marek
02-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Dont listen to these guys, its still a new truck with a new truck warranty. Yes the early 6.0 engines had some problems but there are tons of 06 and 07 trucks out there with zero problems.That is a cheaper body and a lighter hoist. Say 8-9k for the body and hoist. What is the sticker on the truck ? How much in rebates are they talking ? Hammer them down as low as you can on the unit, wait a day or so for them to call you, then tell them to throw a 200k warranty on it and you will take it . Also look at the new trucks, by the time you take a 08 and get it for a lower intrest rate you might be better off buying the 08. How many miles a yr will you put on this unit ?

Ducati996
02-25-2009, 07:15 PM
i wouldnt worry about the sitting around part or the 6.o part either - the later years are the best version and reliable as heck...200 miles seems like it was not sitting, so good for you :)

You hoist seems low however if its a mason dump - you need to find out the GVWR of the truck, get the info on the bed and the ram to see whats true.

Depends what they want for it, but they are good trucks with better MPG than the 6.4 versions and less things to wear out (6.4 have 2 turbos)

ppl
02-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Dont listen to these guys, its still a new truck with a new truck warranty. Yes the early 6.0 engines had some problems but there are tons of 06 and 07 trucks out there with zero problems.That is a cheaper body and a lighter hoist. Say 8-9k for the body and hoist. What is the sticker on the truck ? How much in rebates are they talking ? Hammer them down as low as you can on the unit, wait a day or so for them to call you, then tell them to throw a 200k warranty on it and you will take it . Also look at the new trucks, by the time you take a 08 and get it for a lower intrest rate you might be better off buying the 08. How many miles a yr will you put on this unit

they are ask 38,000.00 for the truck but if you depreciate it for two years i think it should be around 22,000.00. 38,000 is with rebates. If I get them down around 22,000.00, 6500.00 for my international on trade, extended warranty and with a three maintenance package I would do the deal.

ppl
02-25-2009, 11:20 PM
You hoist seems low however if its a mason dump - you need to find out the GVWR of the truck, get the info on the bed and the ram to see whats true.

Gvwr is 17950

Gravel Rat
02-25-2009, 11:30 PM
The truck would have a 16,000lb gvw. As for any truck sitting for 2.5 years isn't good it gets lot rot. You will have turbo sticking I don't care what year the truck is the 6.0 turbo sticks with any slight rust. The first thing I would make the dealer do is remove the turbo clean it or inspect it. Doesn't take a dealer mechanic long to pull a turbo off. It isn't going to have carbon problems its going to be surface rust.

If its sat on a dealers lot for 2.5 years I think either the dealer isn't willing to deal or there is something with the truck. The 07 year is probably the best year for the 6.0 it did have the lesser to no problems.

You would want the dealer to do a oil change and change the fuel filters. A truck that has sat that long definatly needs a oil change it may not be black or dirty but it does have moisture in it. If the truck has sat with a near empty fuel tank it will have condensation in the fuel tank.

If the dealer doesn't want to deal or budge on the price tell them to go stuff it and find a 08/09 truck lots of them out there with a decent price.

ppl
02-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the input

Gravel Rat
02-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Oh I just noticed your from Seattle so yes you are definatly going to have moisture problems. The turbo may free up from under use but for what is worth and if the dealer really wants to sell the truck they should make sure the turbo works properly in its full range of motion.

Even the brakes will rust up from sitting have the dealer pull the wheels off to see if everything is still moves properly.

Marek
02-26-2009, 08:51 AM
What intrest rate are they talking about on the 07 ?

ppl
02-26-2009, 12:25 PM
we have not got that far yet on %

Marek
02-26-2009, 12:53 PM
You should also find another dealer who has a similar truck 07 or 08 and work them on the numbers too.Let both dealers know you are looking at the other place. I buy a truck a yr always from the same guy but I always shop his price just to make sure.

hosejockey2002
02-26-2009, 01:38 PM
You mentioned a 7K electric hoist. Nothing wrong with an electric hoist as long as you don't try to lift more than its rating. The 7K includes the dump body, so this truck might struggle to dump two yards of gravel, which the truck will otherwise carry easily. My little dump insert has a 5K hoist, and if I'm pointed downhill and loaded heavy in the front it will struggle. This truck should probably have at least a 10K hoist.

Ducati996
02-26-2009, 02:16 PM
You mentioned a 7K electric hoist. Nothing wrong with an electric hoist as long as you don't try to lift more than its rating. The 7K includes the dump body, so this truck might struggle to dump two yards of gravel, which the truck will otherwise carry easily. My little dump insert has a 5K hoist, and if I'm pointed downhill and loaded heavy in the front it will struggle. This truck should probably have at least a 10K hoist.

nothing worse than the bed that cant handle a decent load - and then you have to hand shovel it out. Defeats the purpose, delays the project and costs you money. Get the tonnage of that Ram ironed out - get specs on this thing before you buy. If its that bad, maybe thats why they cant sell it

Gravel Rat
02-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Scissor hoists power out with any size hoist you need more hoist than you need because the way a scissor hoist works. You really need the hydraulic pressure of a PTO hydraulic set up to get the most power out of a scissor hoist. Now you are adding excessive weight to the truck because you have a hoist that is heavy but you need it because of a powerless scissor hoist.

The best hoist is a front mount telescoping post hoist you will bend the frame behind the cab before the hoist ever powers out. The hoist on my truck will dump 12,000lbs or more it will dump double or tripple the amount of weight the truck can carry.

The only manufacture in the USA that sells mason dumps with a front mount hoist is Henderson Manufacturing. Here in Canada we have Del Hydraulics and Henderson.

You will be wanting to replace that 12 volt hydraulic system for a PTO or Clutch pump that runs off the engine.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-26-2009, 02:32 PM
It better be real cheep and come with a hat

dirtybiz
02-26-2009, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to get a late (06 or 07) 6.0L. The first two years (03&04) weren't much good, but the later have been very reliable. I can't imagine you can pick it up for $22k, but maybe. I think $25-26 would be a great deal, for a brand new 07 w/dump! Just my $.02

Gravel Rat
02-26-2009, 03:12 PM
A 6.0 that has sat for 2.5 years and only has 200 miles on it will have some problems. There is a F-550 2wd I have been watching its a 2007 model brandnew with a 12 foot deck 6.0 6spd its a 07 dealer wants 48,000 for it. It started out a 48,000 just as a cab and chassis they put a deck on it and kept it at 48,000. I think the dealer will have that truck for a long time unless they drop the price. For one a truck that has sat for that long especially a 6.0 is a risk.

The 6.0s need to be driven daily h*ll I knotice if I don't drive my truck for 4 days the turbo gets sluggish I have a brandnew rebuilt turbo on my 03.

The dealer closest to me has a 06 F-350 4x4 cab and chassis with a 165 wheelbase somebody ordered it and backed out of the deal its a nice truck too bad it is only a 350 but it has all the options. Still sitting on the lot nobody is interested in it.

With the economy the way it is nobody is buying trucks I'am surprised with how bad the things are in the USA anybody is even buying a new truck.

ppl
02-26-2009, 06:53 PM
I found out the missed marked the truck, the gave me docs. for an F-450. It is an F-550 with a 9.5 ton hoist with the ability to have a pto off the transmission. The cab and chasis is 38,000.00 plus 8500.00 for the body. Just checked the truck trader for the same truck with low miles and similar bodies are going for 19,000.00 - 25,000.00 the higher side of things are xlt's with tool boxes and traps. The interest rate is around 8.5% which is high. I do not care that is a new truck you have to factor in 2.5 years of lost value the dealer may not see that way. If he doesn't want to sell the truck then he doesn't want what I have "money" and good credit. The used market is strong if he does not want to play ball I will look somewhere else. Having them inspect the turbo and an oil change is a good call. I had a 6.0 2003 and never had an problems and it towed a trailer everyday in bad traffic it was the best truck that I have ever had until some meth head stole it. Now I have 2006 dura max it seems to be in the shop every other month. Injectors, steering linkage, transmission lines, water separator, injection pump and dash lights failing. The ride is great and shifts smooth but losted money due to down time kills me.

Gravel Rat
02-27-2009, 03:13 AM
The prices do sound about right for what the truck should have cost in 07.

If the dealer doesn't want to budge on the price keep searching they can be stubborn all they want the truck will end up sitting there for another couple years.

The reason why I mentioned oil change is these 6.0s are fussy about the oil you don't want to take a chance on engine oil that is 2.5 years old sitting in a steel oil pan. The oil has been through spring summer fall and winter.

Ducati996
02-27-2009, 07:17 AM
I found out the missed marked the truck, the gave me docs. for an F-450. It is an F-550 with a 9.5 ton hoist with the ability to have a pto off the transmission. The cab and chasis is 38,000.00 plus 8500.00 for the body. Just checked the truck trader for the same truck with low miles and similar bodies are going for 19,000.00 - 25,000.00 the higher side of things are xlt's with tool boxes and traps. The interest rate is around 8.5% which is high. I do not care that is a new truck you have to factor in 2.5 years of lost value the dealer may not see that way. If he doesn't want to sell the truck then he doesn't want what I have "money" and good credit. The used market is strong if he does not want to play ball I will look somewhere else. Having them inspect the turbo and an oil change is a good call. I had a 6.0 2003 and never had an problems and it towed a trailer everyday in bad traffic it was the best truck that I have ever had until some meth head stole it. Now I have 2006 dura max it seems to be in the shop every other month. Injectors, steering linkage, transmission lines, water separator, injection pump and dash lights failing. The ride is great and shifts smooth but losted money due to down time kills me.

So its a f550 6.0 2007 with a mason dump and 9.5 ton hoist? right now its an electric hoist (hydraulic pump). The tranny can be converted to a PTO but thats an additional expense. I just wanted to be clear....I wouldnt worry about the turbo sticking, or anything going wrong on these because of sitting. Besides the dang thing has a 5 or 6 year warranty at no charge....a stuck turbo will show up right away :) LOL

So what is the actual price on this unit? Have you priced around? you might be better off with new (pricing wise only). They will be offering good terms soon enough if not already to move the excess stock

Gravel Rat
02-27-2009, 02:21 PM
I asumming you never lived in the Pacific Northwest area Ducati where it rains alot. A 6.0 that has sat for 2.5 years is going to have turbo problems.

The dealers know it if you go into the dealer as a knowlegeable 6.0 owner they will fix or look at the known 6.0 problems.

Ask them what are they going to do if you have problems with the tires. They may look brandnew but they have been through all weather cycles the truck has been sitting for a long time. Like I said the brakes will also have to be looked at you may or may not end up with sticking calipers.

A vehical gets LOT ROT it needs to be driven.

Lots of problems you can have from a vehical sitting so the price of the truck should be reduced.

KRtraxx
03-14-2009, 10:15 AM
The prices do sound about right for what the truck should have cost in 07.

If the dealer doesn't want to budge on the price keep searching they can be stubborn all they want the truck will end up sitting there for another couple years.

The reason why I mentioned oil change is these 6.0s are fussy about the oil you don't want to take a chance on engine oil that is 2.5 years old sitting in a steel oil pan. The oil has been through spring summer fall and winter.

One thing I have found that guys really like is a quart of Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer in each oil change..Turbos that were sluggish improved dramatically with this stuff in it..I dont sell it so am not trying to promote anything..But I use it in all my trucks and skids too now and am quite satisfied..

TXNSLighting
03-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Use that little quote feature in the bottom right hand corner and your posts wont be so confusing.

Yeh 38k is waaaaaaayyy to much for that. get them down to the 25k range and a extended warranty and drive it home. 07 is a fantastic year for he 6.0. It doesnt matter if its been sitting.

TXNSLighting
03-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Did you not ever look at the truck? it says if its a 450 or 550 right on the front fenders...