PDA

View Full Version : best zero turn for hilly terrain

kdmach
03-10-2002, 10:53 AM
looking for suggestions on buying best brand of zrt front or mid mount for mowing steep/hilly lake front properties. was considering grasshopper 721g2 w/ 61" cut for larger properties or the hustler shortcut which I don't know much about in a 48 or 54" cut. any input would be appreciated

Premo Services
03-10-2002, 01:35 PM
27 views and no dixie chopper, lazer, or hustler owners jumping at the gun to respond yet?:D

I have a lazer hp 52 inch and it does fairly good on hills. I have not demoed others on hills so can not answer. I do know that for steep hilly lake fornt properties, when they are wet I would prefer a walkbehind. I have seen some guys on hills with ztrs when it was wet, that I would be leary of just walking on.:eek: :eek: :eek: Hopefully spome of the dixie or hustler or some other owners will reply.

mowerconsultant
03-10-2002, 01:36 PM
Well..............
This is your best zero turn on a hill....
Yes it is a zero turn the two outside sets of tires go up and the unit will pivot on the center, making a zero turn.
http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/6400/6400.JPG

If this is to much mower for ya, this is your next best choice....
The Hustler Z or Super Z, they are awesome on hills, I will put this unit against any other mid mount unit on a hill anyday !!!
Also available with a rops if needed.
http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/news/Z_rops.jpg
As far as the Shortcut goes, they are good on hills if you know how to run them right, add a set of atv tires (optional), and you can climb just about anything you want.

Later
Pj

C4chris70
03-10-2002, 05:19 PM
I have a Hustler Shortcut 48 that I am currently trying to sell. This is a solid mower, but it is not very stable on slopes.

OBRYANMAINT
03-10-2002, 06:40 PM
i purchased a sentar last year and it does amazingly well on hills the engine is mounted on the deck so the weight is down very low.....i have tried stander,scag,exmark and dixies and this machine was better on the hills

try them all like i did on YOUR accounts to make the decision

awm
03-10-2002, 09:37 PM
ive have been very surprized at how well the lazer z will hold a hill.
go up back dn. use wts on front to hold it down if the hill is real steep. take it very slow at first and after u get the hang of it,
its about as good at hills as my walk behinds were.later now.

tpirobert
03-10-2002, 10:24 PM
I have a Toro Z252 and a WrightStander 61". Both do well on hills, but a walk-behind is still needed for extreme hillsides. You also have to develope your own feel/skill with the machine. First time on a Z I'm sure I looked drunk.

gene gls
03-10-2002, 11:19 PM
I have a Walker 48" GHS unit that I will run on any slope that I can walk up. The only draw back is that you have to back up the hill because of the weight transfer. The drier the grass the better the traction.

Gene

LAWNGODFATHER
03-11-2002, 12:25 AM
PJ I want one of those 6400's!!!!!!

I see the two steering levers.

Dude get one of those 6400's PJ posted, I garuntee no problems mowing hills.

Best hill side mower = rope and a push mower.

Somebody post that pic with the guy walking next to the mower on a hill.

Second best is an Alamo mower.

Artman
03-11-2002, 09:33 AM
All reports that we have had on this end is that whenever the Hustler Z (or Super Z) is matched head-to-head with ANY other z-rider, the Hustler has proven to be far superior on slopes. We have yet to hear of ONE head-to-head comparision that claimed anything else.

Sure, we are a bit biased, but those are the reports from the field. It would probably be worth a demo of the Hustler Z or Super Z.

DAVE13
03-11-2002, 11:19 AM
Try a Walker Sd.

LAWNGODFATHER
03-11-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Artman
All reports that we have had on this end is that whenever the Hustler Z (or Super Z) is matched head-to-head with ANY other z-rider, the Hustler has proven to be far superior on slopes. We have yet to hear of ONE head-to-head comparision that claimed anything else.

Sure, we are a bit biased, but those are the reports from the field. It would probably be worth a demo of the Hustler Z or Super Z.

Sure lets put your money where your mouth is!!!!!!

Send me a Hustler Super Z. I'll put it to the test. Run it through it's paces.

Lizard
03-11-2002, 03:09 PM
I have a large piece of property that is all hills and loose top soil on a large lake. I use a lazer HP 52 and it works pretty good. It will climb incredibly steep hills, but you have to be careful when it's wet out because you'll dig up the turf. Good Luck
Lizard

edward hedrick
03-11-2002, 07:36 PM
For hilly ground look at a Gravely PM-310, Scag STHM. or Exmark
Turf Ranger. These sometimes work better than Z turn machines.
The new Gravely is capable of 9.5 mph. Ed

captdevo
03-11-2002, 11:26 PM
other than hillsiders and dew-eze, i will bank on a Walker!

I have a 26hp EFI 52" side discharge with a/t tires and i will bring it next to anything.

PJ, "if you can follow me, i'll buy yours", thats my saying.

there is no, i mean 'no' mid-mount that will follow this Walker.

in fact ask Brad (flex-deck) about Walker capabilities, he was stunned.

Please note ROPS are not an option on the Walker...lol

it's all in fun....

but if you don't want to shell out big$$$ for a self-centering rough cut mower, demo a SD Walker.

Dave

Administrator
03-11-2002, 11:48 PM
I can remember taking my walk behinds on hills you could not walk up or across. Since im barely pushing 140lbs I could usually ride the hills staying on my jungle wheels. If it got to scary I would jump off the wheels and basically mow at a kind of slanted angle.

In 3 years I only dumped my mowers... maybe 3 or 4 times. I would do just about anything to prevent pulling out the 21" mower or using the trimmer to "mow" the hill. I always kept a sturdy tow cable and winch on the truck ..... just incase. :)

I only dumped my ZTR once ... started sliding and I bailed. To bad the mower dropped off into a 5' or so concrete type pond. Since this was a commercial property I was able to get one of the guys out there operating a flork lift to come over and pull it out. I can remember not believing just how powerful those big commercial lifts are. This thing lifted the ZTR out of the pond like it weighed 40lbs!

I won't even start to mention my employee "goofs"

Just remember, if your in a situation where you think your going to roll, slide, slip, fall, etc., BAIL.

bubenberg
03-18-2002, 07:50 PM
i see that we have some hill mowers in here ..... try this one:
http://www.power-trac.com

at this time other then aebi, a very costly machine the only machine that can go 48% without a shortning of your engine life

good luck

LeoS818
03-19-2002, 01:42 AM
I mow a lot of hills and around several ponds. I think knowing what your machine can and cant do is more important than what brand.
WWW.rhrwildlife.com

excel25
03-19-2002, 08:09 AM
My SUPER Z is GREAT on hills, my grasshopper 725G2 will not hang with it!!