PDA

View Full Version : Does your application mixture need to be more or less concentrated in the spring?

Bluelude1
02-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Most people I have talked with have their own personal opinion on how concentrated the mix rate, of products like Round Up, have to be at different times of the year. But I was wondering what the general consensus was regarding products like Drive75 w/ Quicksilver? Does henbit and other early season weeds respond well with average temps about 60 degrees or do they need a more concentrated mixture to make them effective?

tombo82685
02-25-2009, 07:41 PM
I have not used those chemicals, nor have i sprayed for henbit. I would go with whatever rate is on the label. Usually in the middle of the label rates are good, since henbit has a fibrous root system it shouldn't be hard to rid of it. Unike your dandelions which have a tap root system. Henbit is a winter annual meaning it germinates in fall grows during the winter and flowers/seeds during the spring.

RigglePLC
02-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Good question. Since protox inhibitors like the carfentrazone in Quicksilver work in just a few hours (in the presence of sunlight), you should have your answer by tomorrow at this time. Go over some weeds twice to increase the dose. Let us know what happened. I don't know about the temperature effect on Drive 75.

mrkosar
02-25-2009, 07:44 PM
follow the label. you can use the higher rates on the label when the weather is cooler. lower rates when it is hot.

Bluelude1
02-25-2009, 08:08 PM
Good question. Since protox inhibitors like the carfentrazone in Quicksilver work in just a few hours (in the presence of sunlight), you should have your answer by tomorrow at this time. Go over some weeds twice to increase the dose. Let us know what happened. I don't know about the temperature effect on Drive 75.

I know that the manufacturer documentation for Drive 75 states that it is effective down to 45 degrees, but doesn't really go into much detail past that.

Jason Rose
02-25-2009, 09:24 PM
For broadleaf control in cooler temps look for products (2-4D) that are the ESTER formulation. You can use the 2-4D Ester up till the daytime high temps reach about 70 (though I think some push that). You will just get a lot better control.

Now, winter annuals, like henbit, are reaching the end of their growth cycle in the spring. This makes them harder to get a kill on because if they are just ready to flower they have slowed growing and chemical uptake will be less.

Think Green
02-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Higher temperatures and stronger rates will either impare growth or create discolored turf. Since both of the chemicals you listed are postemerge herbicides, stronger mixtures and temperature will affect the turf. Young weeds.........less ingredient! Adult weeds.....mid strength ingredient.............all following the label directions and recommendations according to the manufacturer.

rcreech
02-25-2009, 09:38 PM
This is a very hard question to provide an answer for...but a very good question.

The key to "good" weed control is actively growing weeds and good environmental conditions (rain, temp, humidity etc).

I guess I would say...if the conditions are not "ideal" then you may want to increase your rate (as long as you are within the label) or spike the product.

Some other things you can do is:
-Add surfactants/COC/AMS etc (depending on label and product of course)
-Time of day
-Wait until conditions are better (ex. During drought...wait for a rain or if its cold...wait until it warms up)

As stated the key to good weed control is TIMING and growing conditions!

Hogjaw
02-26-2009, 12:54 AM
Good topic for discussion!

Often I do, but I know others don't, without thinking about ALL of the "ideal conditions" that should be present prior to the application.

Thanks. Good food for thought

This is a very hard question to provide an answer for...but a very good question.

The key to "good" weed control is actively growing weeds and good environmental conditions (rain, temp, humidity etc).

I guess I would say...if the conditions are not "ideal" then you may want to increase your rate (as long as you are within the label) or spike the product.

Some other things you can do is:
-Add surfactants/COC/AMS etc (depending on label and product of course)
-Time of day
-Wait until conditions are better (ex. During drought...wait for a rain or if its cold...wait until it warms up)

As stated the key to good weed control is TIMING and growing conditions!

tombo82685
02-26-2009, 07:17 AM
For broadleaf control in cooler temps look for products (2-4D) that are the ESTER formulation. You can use the 2-4D Ester up till the daytime high temps reach about 70 (though I think some push that). You will just get a lot better control.

Now, winter annuals, like henbit, are reaching the end of their growth cycle in the spring. This makes them harder to get a kill on because if they are just ready to flower they have slowed growing and chemical uptake will be less.

from what I have read, the ester spray is better but the drift potential is higher. So you may spray something right in front of you, but the drift that isnt being picked up to much by the human eye may kill something 20 feet away. You have to be really careful when using the ester, and make sure its a calm morning.

VARMIT COMMISSION
02-26-2009, 07:56 AM
from what I have read, the ester spray is better but the drift potential is higher. So you may spray something right in front of you, but the drift that isnt being picked up to much by the human eye may kill something 20 feet away. You have to be really careful when using the ester, and make sure its a calm morning.

Actually a temprature invertion occurs with little(a calm morning) or no wind. This would carry the volatized ester possibly miles then set it down after the inversion. I want a breeze when spraying ester. That way you know there is no inversion occuring. When it starts getting above 75 and the trees and bushes are budding out is when they are suceptable to 24d ester. If you use ester early in the year prior to a lot of budding on trees and shrubs you are ok. Then switch over to amine to be safe. I dont think I have ever heard of a temp. inversion in early spring (jan. feb. march)