PDA

View Full Version : becoming "legal" in this industry

GracesLandscaping
02-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Hello, i am needing some advice on this branch of lawn care (probably a stupid question) I keep seeing people talk about "you better watch out with ferts or you'll get fined if you arent liscenced" do you have to have some special liscence to spread fert? i do not do much fert at all maybe 2 yards other than mine and my parents but i have been wanting to push it a little more because the actuall weed and fert companys here SUCK. they load the yards up with nitrogen in the spring causing them to grow like crazy but then they get burnt to hell because off too much N... any help appreciated. and just for the record i am a liscenced business

tombo82685
02-25-2009, 08:11 PM
no their is no license for fertilizer apps or what not. The only thing i can think of where you would get in trouble is if your over applying the fertilizers like exceeding rates. Also if you are clumsy with the fertilizer. For example spilling it on sidewalks or streets. If you do this clean it up, because that will just wash into streams and creeks and the rest is history.

Rhizomatous
02-25-2009, 08:30 PM
I would make sure none of the ferts you buy though have any types of pesticide in them a scotts weed and feed would be technically against the law if you are applying for hire

tlg
02-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Spreading granular fertilizer only in most cases and most states would not require a license. It's when you start spreading fertilizer with pesticides that a applicator license may be needed as well as a business license to apply any pesticides . The question you need to ask yourself is: AM I APPLYING PESTICIDES FOR HIRE???

By the way if your applying granular weed and feed you need to be licensed. I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say they don't because they don't spray. A pesticide is a pesticide no matter what form it's in.

Hope this helps you.

tombo82685
02-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Spreading granular fertilizer only in most cases and most states would not require a license. It's when you start spreading fertilizer with pesticides that a applicator license may be needed as well as a business license to apply any pesticides . The question you need to ask yourself is: AM I APPLYING PESTICIDES FOR HIRE???

By the way if your applying granular weed and feed you need to be licensed. I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say they don't because they don't spray. A pesticide is a pesticide no matter what form it's in.

Hope this helps you.

thats a pretty interesting point you have their,I never thought of it like that. Im curious as to why stores like home depot, lowes, etc sell them then. Its illegal to apply pesticides without a license. So why put it out their, when they know people without licenses are going to apply them.

Rhizomatous
02-25-2009, 08:44 PM
well, thats designed for homeowners...Its perfectly ok for joe homeowner to put whatever he wants on his property without a liscense...but...he cant go next door and charge his neighbor 20 bucks to spread it on his lawn...the law only pertains to those applying for hire

tombo82685
02-25-2009, 08:46 PM
well, thats designed for homeowners...Its perfectly ok for joe homeowner to put whatever he wants on his property without a liscense...but...he cant go next door and charge his neighbor 20 bucks to spread it on his lawn...the law only pertains to those applying for hire

But I bet landscaping companies who do not have a spraying license do go from house to house and applying these products. I think they crackdown more on the chemicals that can be extrememly harmful to people. This is why you dont see daconil,tartan, acclaim,etc on the market do to their LD and LC. You could almost deem a lot of products as a pesticide. For instance lemon flavor soap could be considered a pesticide since it kills leaf sucking insects.

Rhizomatous
02-25-2009, 08:50 PM
oh absolutely i know plenty of people who do that...im getting my license this spring so im hoping to take over the fert part of their businesses. Kind of ironic you asked this question. Im currently at UMass amherst taking turf and im taking this pesticide license prep class and that was one of the discussions we had with companies applying illegally

lawnfreak09
02-25-2009, 09:04 PM
there are agents out there checking license i got checked because i had a spreader in the back of my truck

GracesLandscaping
02-25-2009, 09:37 PM
ok this is what i thought.. because i have a pesticide applicators liscence BUT i cannot do it for profit... basically its just for personal use (had to get it for a class) but it would be perfectly legal for me to spread reagular fertilizer such as 10-10-10 or whatever as a part of my business correct? also what kind of liscence do you need to spray herbicides?

tombo82685
02-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Yea your fine with spreading the fertilizer just make sure not to overapply or be careless with it. You would need a pesticide license, i think its category 7 not sure on that. Even though it say pesticide license, it covers all types of spraying fungicides, pesticides, herbicides

Rhizomatous
02-25-2009, 09:59 PM
i dont know how kentucky's system works but here in mass the core license is an applicators license that allows you to spray general use pesticides for hire...if you arent allowed to apply pesticides for hire then yes you can spread a 10-10-10 just as long as its a straight fertilizer with no pesticides added in.

id check your local pesticide bureau or state extension office

GracesLandscaping
02-26-2009, 12:01 AM
ok thanks alot for the help!

grincon
02-26-2009, 12:14 AM
Take your applicators license and turn it into a commercial applicators license. In oregon all you need is an endorsment for turf and ornamental, pay the fee and proof of insurance.

GracesLandscaping
02-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Take your applicators license and turn it into a commercial applicators license. In oregon all you need is an endorsment for turf and ornamental, pay the fee and proof of insurance.

what type of state department would i need to contact for that? because i alraedy have the liscence, its just a private one

gunslinger
04-12-2009, 09:30 AM
this info was very useful,i'll get starated tomorrow

Rcgm
04-13-2009, 11:40 AM
i dont know how kentucky's system works but here in mass the core license is an applicators license that allows you to spray general use pesticides for hire...if you arent allowed to apply pesticides for hire then yes you can spread a 10-10-10 just as long as its a straight fertilizer with no pesticides added in.

id check your local pesticide bureau or state extension office

Here in Indiana the RT License or Core license same thing allows you to spray and put down granular pesticide applications only if you are employed by a company that has a 3B license. You have to have a RT first then a 3B to get a pesticide license for hire. You can not mix chemicals or apply them with a RT license unless you are under the supervision on a License 3b applicator. You can't advertise for pesticide you can't measure for pesticide you can't even invoice for pesticide in Indiana without a license. So if the chemist stops you and you say I sub it to a licensed company and I invoice for it CRACK 250.00 fine.

humble1
04-14-2009, 08:14 AM
But I bet landscaping companies who do not have a spraying license do go from house to house and applying these products. I think they crackdown more on the chemicals that can be extrememly harmful to people. This is why you dont see daconil,tartan, acclaim,etc on the market do to their LD and LC. You could almost deem a lot of products as a pesticide. For instance lemon flavor soap could be considered a pesticide since it kills leaf sucking insects.

I have an inspectors cell phone on my nextel, I drop the dime on guys if I see someone not licensed, it also is for their protection, last year my friend saw a young guy spreading during my 3rd round, he noticed he was wearing sneakers and shorts with his shirt off. He pulled up hey hows it going, real hot today etc..
So I knew he was doing merit. He says to the kid do you have a strange taste in your mouth? Yeah how did you know? He says well I am licensed and I going out on a limb your not! You have chemical exposure, you didnt read the label, you dont have any ppe on. You should go to the hospital, make sure you tell them what happened and dont do apps again.

starry night
04-14-2009, 09:26 AM
If you are planning to get into applications as part of your business, you should also "study up." Your university extension dept. and the internet are good sources. You are not necessarily prepared merely because you pass the license test. Here in Ohio, the test is not easy but I truly believe you could pass it just by knowing one thing ----READ THE LABEL --- on fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides. And other than using that fact to pass the test, follow it --- READ THE LABEL.

gunslinger
04-27-2009, 08:59 PM
thanks for informing me,i recieved study materials for the test. i will definitely read the labels. again thanks

mngrassguy
04-28-2009, 01:23 AM
Many states require a license to apply fertilizer as well as pesticides. Telling an inspector you read on Lawn site that it was ok to apply without a license will NOT get you out of paying a fine.