PDA

View Full Version : PG Mag.

scweedman
02-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Has anyone had the problem of the rod under the hopper that
opens the slide to let out fert. work lose and brake?

MStine315
02-25-2009, 09:24 PM
I've had 2 situations similar to that. The rod wore out the hole the shutoff plate. Fix involved replacement of shutoff plate and that section of the rod. The other thing I've had happen, is there is a "bushing" welded on the side of the frame that the shutoff linkage runs through. It is welded on and I've had to reweld it twice. Don't know if this is any help, but that's been my experience fwiw.

scweedman
02-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Iv'e had that problem too. I drilled a hole in the end of the rod and put a cotter pin in
it.

redbuckcavs
02-26-2009, 08:23 AM
last year I replaced the slide plate because the hole wore out also. Not to change the subject, but does anyone else have a problem with the slide plate staying OPEN? I have to keep my thumb on the stupid control lever or else the plate closes

scweedman
02-26-2009, 08:27 AM
No i have to keep a bunge cord on mine to keep it closed so fert doesn't
dump out when moving from house to house.

MStine315
02-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Here's a picture of the repaired weld I was describing. (Please hold your comments about my welding ability, lol). This is on the right side of the machine, hopefully the picture shows enough of what I mean. When this weld breaks, nothing falls apart, but it makes the whole mechanism that much more sloppy, as if it needs help.

scweedman
02-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Yep, thats the same break i had my weld looks just as good as yours!

Runner
02-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Yep. John has one that has done the same thing. He is going to weld that, as well.
He also has had to fix the idler pulley on the left side that is held through the frame This is a stupid setup of a pulley that is held on a rod and has a bushing that of course - just wears out. he fixed this by coming up with a cup and bearing setup. This thing will never wear out, now. It is much netter than new, and he is going to do the same thing to his other magnum, as well. He has made improvements on these machines that would make Permagreen's heads spin.

scweedman
02-28-2009, 02:15 PM
PG said they only have 4 or 5 calls a year on these problems.:confused:
Joe who is john?

Runner
02-28-2009, 04:04 PM
LOL...John is a non-member here who participates vicariously through me (sometimes without his knowledge). It is an ongoing joke that he always tells me. "Yeah,...don't go sharin' my secrets on Lawnsite - and takin' the credit for them!" (You have to know his highly sarcastic sense of humor).:D
Actually, he is a best friend of mine, who was a golf course superintendent before breaking off on his own. He was the one that mentored me through my internship to get my applicators license. He's one of those people that lives to help others...you couldn't meet a nicer guy. Marc (MStein) and Paul (Superior) know him, as well as a couple others on here. A few met him at our anti-tax rally in Lansing last year also.:)

MStine315
02-28-2009, 09:42 PM
He has made improvements on these machines that would make Permagreen's heads spin.

I could never figure out why that idler was tipped on an angle until I stripped my machine down this winter. The bushings were all but gone and the rod had wore a groove in itself. They say they've improved that by using bronze bushings. Time will tell.

As for the improvements, John is the MAN, but I have to say, I don't think it would take much for the PG boys head's to spin, lol.

EJK2352
03-01-2009, 12:11 AM
Yep. John has one that has done the same thing. He is going to weld that, as well.
He also has had to fix the idler pulley on the left side that is held through the frame This is a stupid setup of a pulley that is held on a rod and has a bushing that of course - just wears out. he fixed this by coming up with a cup and bearing setup. This thing will never wear out, now. It is much netter than new, and he is going to do the same thing to his other magnum, as well. He has made improvements on these machines that would make Permagreen's heads spin.

Joe,
Any chance you could get some pictures of your friends modified idler arm??? I have the same problem with my Magnum, and this sounds like it's the fix I'm looking for.

Runner
03-01-2009, 05:09 AM
I will get some pics (if it's alright with John) lol.