PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong with my trailer gate!! HELP!!

commercial_cut50
02-25-2009, 11:10 PM
I have a 16' pro star trailer and everytime i put my trailer gate down and then put it back up it always ends up to far over to the right side and i have to kick it back over. it doesnt sound like it but it is unbelievably annoying!:hammerhead:

honeydopm
02-26-2009, 12:35 AM
I have the same trailer and had the same problem and boy is it a pita to pick that gate up by yourself when it comes off. I also destroyed my light bar when the gate fell on it so now i just drop the gates together instead of one at a time and have not had a problem since. You would think their would be something welded on ends or pins to prevent this but that would make things too easy.

commercial_cut50
02-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Well i dont take them one by one. ive always taken them both at the same time. its just that EVERY time i have to kick that right side over because its over to far to get the pin locked in. never fails!!

Daner
02-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Hard to say without a picture of the gate

South Florida Lawns
02-26-2009, 11:43 PM
my new 16 footer does that. Like if I pull the mower up on an angle the wheels shift the whole gate on the hinge and it doesn't align to the pins. It doesn't happen very often but I believe its because its a removable gate. I bet you could weld some spacers on the hinge it would hold the gate centered, and that could keep it from constantly shifting side to side.

CLARK LAWN
02-27-2009, 09:40 AM
my trailer was doing that and i welded a tab on the side so that it could not fall off. it still moves but at least it wont come off.

commercial_cut50
02-27-2009, 11:01 AM
yea i think ill do that. thanks for the help guys!

olde_blue
02-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Try standing on the other side of the gate when you open and close it. My trailer has slip hinges on its gate, and if stand on the right side of it and pull the gate a little towards yourself when you close it, it closes correctly. Keep the hinges well greased. Be careful when unloading on a side slope--if slanted the wrong way, the ramp could come off (as a previous writer noted)!