PDA

View Full Version : Bed edging difficulty?

honeydopm
02-26-2009, 12:34 AM
I just purchased a Brown bed edger and i havnt been able to use it due to the snow and weather. Im just looking for some input, hints, suggestions on how to follow existing lines, make circles and just general use of the machine.

IcutgrASS1
02-26-2009, 01:38 AM
hey just curious, what are the brown edgers going for now? Thinking of buying a new one this spring

IcutgrASS1
02-26-2009, 01:42 AM
oh yeah i forgot to answer your question...they are pretty easy to use, just pull it and make your edges, but i always take my string trimmer and clean up the edges afterwards..it makes a HUGE difference...the edger is nice cuz it will do the rough work, but it doesnt make it look like the brochure does in the picture with the guy making a bed nice and sharp like that..haha...there definitly a time saver

honeydopm
02-26-2009, 01:47 AM
I bought mine used and got a great deal but i did a little research and couldnt justify paying between$2000 and $2500 for a new one. I cant wait to check it out.

Groomer
02-26-2009, 06:21 PM
If your doing existing beds make sure you get a redefining blade, throws a lot less mound that the big blade they usually come with. Your local dealer will know whats on yours.

heyakoni
02-27-2009, 02:50 AM
And then once you have gotten a feel of the way that you use that edger,get better quality.

addictedtolandscaping
03-21-2009, 10:21 PM
You can not go wrong. The toughest part is getting used to whee the blade is hitting the ground as to where you are looking at it on the machine. It will save you a ton of time, and create the lok you are after.

honeydopm
03-21-2009, 11:02 PM
I pulled it out the other day and tried using it and it will definetly take some getting used to. I slung dirt all over including on myself.

Big Red Ferris
03-22-2009, 06:23 PM
yeah i have one i love it i rented them for yrs its handy

albhb3
03-22-2009, 07:06 PM
IC go to HD they may have a used one maybe a yr-2 they sell them here off for crazy cheap. I know the Bluebird areators they try to get rid of when for 550 and it looked brand new

Trenchblade
03-23-2009, 02:17 PM
check out The Trenchblade, especially if you are just redefining.

addictedtolandscaping
03-23-2009, 03:14 PM
what is HD, and as noted above, the trenchblade does show nice results on the website

The Stripe King
03-24-2009, 09:51 PM
What ever you do, DO NOT USE IT IF THE GROUND IS WET OR EVEN DAMP !!!!!!!!!!!! The drier the ground is the better cut you will get. Think of it like this, you can't cut soup with a knife, but you can bread.

Brett's Cutting Edge
03-25-2009, 12:50 PM
I bought one just cause I got a good deal on it. I didnt have the jobs at the time but so many people need their edge cleaned up and will pay to have it done. To redefine the edges i welded another bar on the front so it didnt cut as deep. This works great for redefining. I used a Blue Bird one from HD(home depot) it worked good but the brown is better for new edges I think.

Mimowerman
03-25-2009, 05:31 PM
what is HD, and as noted above, the trenchblade does show nice results on the website

HomeDepot..... They will have a rental department alot of times... and sometimes you can find a good deal ... now they do not send the stuff to auction like they used to ... I got a like new aerator for 500.00 !

addictedtolandscaping
03-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks I guess a classic case of looking outside the box there. I have bought some stuff from them in the past, but never scored a deal like you got on that aerator, that is fantastic.

Two Seasons
04-19-2009, 08:20 PM
First pass, use the transport position to just strike a small cut and to see where the rocks are. Come around to where you started, then go to the next pin position and go around again. Then the next pin position. Finish with the lowest pin position setting and you are done.

JeffNY
04-19-2009, 08:36 PM
I rented one for the first time last week, Worked great on a straight bed line and slight curves. It had a piece of tape as a marker where the blade was, good idea.
It def takes some getting used to, I didn't find it useful at all for tree rings, it kicked more dirt out, and just made a mess. Nothing beats a shovel there.

And I was thinking if the ground was wet, it would work better, the ground is pretty wet now, and it was having a hard time starting, I would have to lift it up to get it spinning, then let it down. Also, the one belt I could have took off by hand it was so loose. And the blade could have been 10years old and shot too, who knows.

And the trenchblade, I'd have to say they're 2 totally different things. Not knocking TB at all, I just used it today, but it does nothing what a bed edger does. Existing or not. IJS.

gorknoids
04-19-2009, 11:26 PM
You can not go wrong. The toughest part is getting used to whee the blade is hitting the ground as to where you are looking at it on the machine. It will save you a ton of time, and create the lok you are after.

That was my first thought. You have to do some practice judging where the leading edge of the cutter is working when you're in both an inside and an outside turn. I have an Edgemaster, and you can have it when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. I base my bids for edging on what it would cost the customer to have a bunch of illegal aliens kick-edge the bedlines and charge accordingly while saving myself all the time and labor.

honeydopm
04-20-2009, 12:28 AM
I love this thing but like most postings said its hard to judge where the blade is at but this machine has saved alot of time and money already!!