PDA

View Full Version : HELP?! California Spray License Classes or Education?

MowinginEureka
02-26-2009, 01:08 AM
Hey, I purchased a gardening business here locally and I am now trying to obtain my Qualified Applicators License here in the state of California. I have been trying to wrap my mind around the book I bought that is in preparation of the test and have been just blown away, its completely over my head the amount of superfluous information. I have absolutely no experience in the difference between an aphid or an arachnid pretty much. (bit of an exaggeration, but you get my point) I am losing money rapidly, as this is an integral part of the business. I assumed this would be perhaps a bit easier. I am not finding any trial tests that I can take as practice or even any books that help you to study for the test. I live over 240 miles from the nearest testing location and most of the gardeners here spray illegally. I need assistance desperately. Thanks.

humble1
02-26-2009, 10:31 AM
superfluous information.

You use the word superfluous in a sentence, but you cant wrap your arms around what you read in the book? How is that possible?:confused:

Call the dept of agriculture pesticide div and see if they offer any prep classes. I wouldnt spray w/ out a license. Liability if something happens. Good luck

Ric
02-26-2009, 11:20 AM
MowinginEureka

California like Florida and New York Etc is one of the few states that actually believe their certified operators should know what they are doing. Good Luck because you have a learning curve a head of you that takes years.

Kiril
02-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Call and ask for information.

http://co.humboldt.ca.us/UCCE/

b121774
02-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Are you getting the QAL or the QAC? You only need the QAC which is easier to get than the QAL, and the continuing education requirements are much lower. Did you see this http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/license/studymat/qac_rev_01-07.pdf Also my employee who is trying to get out on his own found some study material he said was modeled after the test. He's a member here. Search for greenviewlandscaper and pm him. He'll know more. It's been 10 years since I took the test so I can't remember much. Remeber after you get the QAC you will still need to get the Pest Control Business license which requires proof of liability insurance and then you need to register with your county and every county you spray every year. Don't forget you need to send in a pesticide use report every month as well. Good luck!

MowinginEureka
02-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Wow. Thanks for all of the helpful information. I will be checking on that. I will post further if I need more help! Yeah, I knew about the reports. The guy I bought the business from sprayed regularly, I accompanied him and even called in the locations to be sprayed a few times to the ag department. Its pretty much that I suck at studying, I need hands on study!

MowinginEureka
02-27-2009, 03:33 PM
You use the word superfluous in a sentence, but you cant wrap your arms around what you read in the book? How is that possible?:confused:

Well thats easy. I have no problem wrapping my arms around the book. LOL! :P Just a hard time trying to comprehend and absorb all the information with my MIND...I am used to hands on learning. I do have a lot of other things going on, such as trying to run a successful business in a bad economy, taking over a gardening business in the winter, being a newlywed, moving, having my equipment stolen, car accidents...etc... So maybe, I just have a lot on my mind and I need an edge? Is that such a crime? Thanks!

MowinginEureka
02-27-2009, 03:53 PM
I just got off the phone again with the agricultural department here locally and that link b121774 provided, got me in contact with someone I had not spoken to previously there. Apparently, they have master gardener classes that you can attend...No one there ever told me about those even though I have been by there multiple times looking for information. Wierd. Well thanks!

humble1
02-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Well thats easy. I have no problem wrapping my arms around the book. LOL! :P Just a hard time trying to comprehend and absorb all the information with my MIND...I am used to hands on learning. I do have a lot of other things going on, such as trying to run a successful business in a bad economy, taking over a gardening business in the winter, being a newlywed, moving, having my equipment stolen, car accidents...etc... So maybe, I just have a lot on my mind and I need an edge? Is that such a crime? Thanks!

You see all the stress being married can cause you!
I would just blame it on your new wife- tell her its all her fault! lol

Seriously good luck in the new buisness, just try not to study everything all at once, chunk off some time each day just for you to read undisturbed for an hour and you will get there.

Portmax29
02-28-2009, 06:35 PM
I just got off the phone again with the agricultural department here locally and that link b121774 provided, got me in contact with someone I had not spoken to previously there. Apparently, they have master gardener classes that you can attend...No one there ever told me about those even though I have been by there multiple times looking for information. Wierd. Well thanks!

If you would not mind, could you send me the information on the classes or who i can talk to about them? I am also looking into getting my license here in Stanislaus and Merced county