PDA

View Full Version : Starting a New Business, Need a Name, Equipment, Contract Help, the Works

Pastor Ron
02-26-2009, 12:25 AM
I am a pastor in a Chinese ministry living on a support income. Since money is scarce, I am going to mow lawns part-time and hope to develop it into a successful business that takes very little of my time. I was successful at his years ago, but it's been so long, I have forgotten a lot. Can you guys help me to know what eqippment is best and what I should expect to pay for a 60" Z-turn, walk behinds, trimmers, edgers, blowers, 14 foot trailer, truck, etc... Also, I could use some help learning to write a contract again and I'd love suggestions on a good name.

Thanks,
Ron :usflag:

ambersLawnmowing
02-26-2009, 01:49 AM
Sounds like you have HIGH hopes for having little to no money.. What is Support money? is that money like child support???? or is that parish support money????? Also if i saw my pastor driving around with a new zero, and other equipment. I would STOP giving to the church...

Pastor Ron
02-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Our ministry is made up of 40% non-Christian Chinese who go to school at Oklahoma University. Because so many of them are either not Christians or new Christians, they don't tithe. So, in order to have a ministry with them, I depend on the financial support of other Christians who believe that what I am doing is a good investment in people and eternity. I am basically a missionary in the U.S. I have been raising my family on an income of $30,000 a year or less. Now it is much less, so I am going to have to mow part-time and I am about 99% sure that I can get about 8 apartment complexes to start out. My supporters know this, and understand, they plan to continue supporting us because I will still put a lot of time into this ministry. The goal is to find a way to continue evangelizing and discipling Chinese in Norman Oklahoma for Jesus Christ. I can't think of a better calling and investment with my life. Does that make better sense?

lawncare010
02-26-2009, 01:27 PM
so you are asking people for money so you can spend money and then make money ;)

ambersLawnmowing
02-26-2009, 01:59 PM
After reading your first post again. The first part sounded like you where starting a joke.

God is FREE why do people pay YOU??????

This is why i hate church. God, me and him talk every day. But a church or should i say theaves, i dont attend very much. My pastor knows how i feel. GIVE GIVE they make you feel like if you dont give then god hates you.. Well if god wanted something from me all he has to do is ask, and i will get it for him. I dont have to go to a place to talk to god he comes to me or i go to him.

As for your $30,000...I know alot of people that make it work for far less then that. Understand that money is a nice thing to have, but you dont seem to want to work hard doing it.

Now you ask about Equipment prices. Go and price insurance and get a lic. before you go and get equipment. Also If your doing 8 places why such big equipment? There is no need for stuff that big in a part-time business.

Also they dont have god in China?????? and how many Chinese are there in OK? Cant be that many. Lets hope that they all find out that GOD is free and costs nothing.

lawncare010
02-26-2009, 02:02 PM
this is a big joke very big joke all he wants is money

dwight1moore
02-26-2009, 02:14 PM
all i can say is WOW

KrayzKajun
02-26-2009, 02:22 PM
wow! im speachlesssssssssssssssssss

Fife Lawn&Lane
02-26-2009, 11:50 PM
This guy is probably already on the local PBS begging for money from shut-ins every Sunday morning.

Lawn-Guy
02-26-2009, 11:59 PM
I am a pastor in a Chinese ministry living on a support income. Since money is scarce, I am going to mow lawns part-time and hope to develop it into a successful business that takes very little of my time. I was successful at his years ago, but it's been so long, I have forgotten a lot. Can you guys help me to know what eqippment is best and what I should expect to pay for a 60" Z-turn, walk behinds, trimmers, edgers, blowers, 14 foot trailer, truck, etc... Also, I could use some help learning to write a contract again and I'd love suggestions on a good name.

Thanks,

Are you seriouse??? What cult is this again?

Scag413
02-27-2009, 10:48 AM
come on guys back off...I dare you guys to follow a minister around for one week and see what it is like....for his $30,000 a year he puts in thousands of hours guranteed. Not all ministers beg for money. The only ones some people see are the ones that ask for money. Pastor Ron...post a few more times then right click on my profile name and send me a private message about your specific questions....i will do what i can to help. God Bless and keep ministering. Plant the seed and God will do the rest.

Pastor Ron
02-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Thank you Scag413. I will try to send you an email within the next couple of days. I appreciate your remarks. I realize that raising support for ministry is a new concept to some and I could probably do a better job explaining it, but I didn't want to get caught up in a long back and forth discussion with these guys trying to explain or defend myself when I simply don't have the time.

I will say this, AmbersLawnmowing, I used to think a little more like you said, but I see things differently now. I am not out to get everyone's money. If money were all that was important to me, I would have never gotten out of a successful Lawn Business and gone into a ministry that depends on a support based income. And as long as I was making $30,000 a year, I did full-time ministry only even though money was tight and which takes a lot more than 40 hours a week of my time. One thing you have to understand is that Ministers still have to provide for their families. I only decided to mow lawns when our support income dropped to an amount that will not pay the bills, and I had to make a choice between leaving the ministry or working part-time. My heart is to know Christ and make him known and I am not ashamed of that. If you would like to talk discuss this more or you have some questions, you are welcome to send me an email. I'd be more than happy to talk with you further.

Maximuslion
03-14-2009, 10:07 PM
WOW ! tough crowd on lawnsite.

Pastor Ron , i wish you the best in your endeavor.

Cosmic Hippo
03-15-2009, 12:23 AM
WOW ! tough crowd on lawnsite.

Yeah, no kidding. And these are the same people who complain about others giving this industry a bad name.

Anyway, best wishes Pastor Ron. Hope you do well in all of your work.

Whitey4
03-15-2009, 01:44 AM
You want a successful business that takes very little of your time? :laugh:

soloscaperman
03-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Lawn site guys have been tough recently but that's prolly the economy making them change.

LB1234
03-15-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm no minister, but I do go to church.

I'm accepting donations as well. Anyone interested?

Proc's Lawncare
03-15-2009, 11:40 AM
America...the land of free enterprise unless you're in the clergy apparently!

If your not doing this as a full time gig, then I would look into some smaller commercial equipment. Go with something inexpensive but dependable. Personally, we only have 12 accounts and have worked on every type of small engine equipment and still use a smaller residential snapper ztr from time to time because we love the machine.

Also, as far as a name suggestion, like you were asking before the bashing came... Why not use your community position and call it something like "A Higher Cutting" and maybe have a halo around your name as a logo... Just a suggestion, but since people will recognize you for this...might as well take advantage of it.

Lots of good used commercial equipment can be found on Ebay or www.craigslist.com that may not have been abused. I would highly reccomend educating yourself before buying anything and look over different types of equipment and see what works best for you and is comfortable for you to use.

Best of luck to you and pray for rain on Sundays!

Macrae
03-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Pastor Ron,

You'll have to excuse all the young ones on this site...they have little education and a lot of attitude. "Benefit of the doubt" doesn't exist in their vocabulary.

Good luck to you and your endeavors.

BTW...how about "Divine Landscaping" for a business name?

Whitey4
03-15-2009, 05:26 PM
First off, I'm not young.

Secondly, how in the heck does anyone in their right mind who claims to have been an LCO before know so little? A successful business that takes "very little of one's time?" 6 apartment complexes would take very little time?

A 12' trailer? A 60" machine? No money? Seriously? *trucewhiteflag*

ambersLawnmowing
03-15-2009, 06:18 PM
First off, I'm not young.

Secondly, how in the heck does anyone in their right mind who claims to have been an LCO before know so little? A successful business that takes "very little of one's time?" 6 apartment complexes would take very little time?

A 12' trailer? A 60" machine? No money? Seriously? *trucewhiteflag*

Yep, thats what i also thought.

Pastor Ron,

You'll have to excuse all the young ones on this site...they have little education and a lot of attitude. "Benefit of the doubt" doesn't exist in their vocabulary.

Young ones? Little education? LOL You are a funny man. I am not young @ 31, Nor do i have little education. I have a degree in horticulture, and Business management.

Smittie
03-20-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm not young either and I have to agree with Ambers Lawnservice. Pastor, I respect the fact that you want to bring the word of God to people. But, my problem is the same as most others. I don't attend Church for the begging reason and the looks you get from the "Regulars". God bless you in your endeavers. your nuts if you think you can start a business that takes very little of your time!!!!!!!!!!:dizzy:

melanieb3
03-20-2009, 11:32 AM
After reading your first post again. The first part sounded like you where starting a joke.

God is FREE why do people pay YOU??????

This is why i hate church. God, me and him talk every day. But a church or should i say theaves, i dont attend very much. My pastor knows how i feel. GIVE GIVE they make you feel like if you dont give then god hates you.. Well if god wanted something from me all he has to do is ask, and i will get it for him. I dont have to go to a place to talk to god he comes to me or i go to him.

As for your $30,000...I know alot of people that make it work for far less then that. Understand that money is a nice thing to have, but you dont seem to want to work hard doing it.

Now you ask about Equipment prices. Go and price insurance and get a lic. before you go and get equipment. Also If your doing 8 places why such big equipment? There is no need for stuff that big in a part-time business.

Also they dont have god in China?????? and how many Chinese are there in OK? Cant be that many. Lets hope that they all find out that GOD is free and costs nothing.

The clergy in my church doesn't get paid for their many many hours of work put in.

My church is worldwide, with churches all over the US and in many many countries.

We do pay tithing, although it goes to building new churches, building new temples, to help the less fortunate in our church worldwide, to pay the power bill for the church, etc...

But we do not pay a pastor to work in our church. He has a regular job to pay his bills and he works hard at that job to support his family.

This is what I do like about my church..i'm not paying some guy to stand in front of me on Sundays and preach to me.

Trevors Lawn Care
03-20-2009, 01:25 PM

Thanks,

Pastor,

Your taking quite a beating by some of these people. I have a sneaking suspision that it does not bother you at all. My offer still stands on the startup consultation. I can provide you with most of the information you need to get going and even more information to help you grow. It is a small investment in your own future and God's Plan.

Trevor

TrevorBBLL@gmail.com

KCfireman
03-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Pastor,

Your taking quite a beating by some of these people. I have a sneaking suspision that it does not bother you at all. My offer still stands on the startup consultation. I can provide you with most of the information you need to get going and even more information to help you grow. It is a small investment in your own future and God's Plan.

Trevor

TrevorBBLL@gmail.comThis is by far the best post on this thread. Very well said. You are a pastor, something good will happen, just takes a little prayer. I'd say a good 60" ZTR is gonna run somewhere in the area of around $9,000 and good quality WB's are gonna run you in the area of around $3,000 to $4,500.

Pastor Ron
03-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Pastor,

Trevor

TrevorBBLL@gmail.com

Hi Trevor,

Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.

I sent you an email a while back. Your original email to me said to read an attachment, but there was no attachment. Would you mind sending it to me again? I am interested in your offer.

Pastor Ron
03-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Many of you have been gracious by offering me advice and wishing me well in my business. Thank you!!!

garmel
03-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Good Luck Pastor- You know you can use your time with customers as ministry time too. We try to look for ways to encourage people and help meet their needs for things they are not going to pay us for. Some days I spend a lot of "unproductive" time just being a good friend to my customers but they know I care. For me it has to be about more than just cutting grass.

mattfromNY
03-20-2009, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE=Pastor Ron;2867082]

"Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all."

It seems weird that this whole post went the wrong way b/c you mentioned you were a pastor. Maybe if you'd said you were a grocery bagger, and only making $XXX dollars/ year, and wanted to get back into mowing, this post would be entirely different.
Its amazing how everyone immediately perceives you as a thief. I dont attend church, never have, not an atheist, nor a christian that I know of. My church is a 15' natural waterfall in my back yard, I go there and enjoy nature and life in general.
I only know one pastor, retired from a local church, very nice guy, hard worker with not a lot of money. Not a crook as far as I can tell. But, I see how the televangelists on TV can give your profession a black eye, kind of the low-ballers in our profession.
For what its worth,
Matt.

melanieb3
03-20-2009, 09:28 PM
My response was only to that guy who stated that he hated church. I wasn't in any way trying to give you, Pastor Ron, a good bash'n. I guess I should have wished you luck, as I do wish you find a way to better provide for your family. I just wanted that guy to know that all churches don't have paid clergy. Guess I kinda hijacked your thread for a brief moment.

My apologies for ignoring the initial post and poster. Good luck to you and I hope you find what you need here. This site is actually a great place to learn from...when all us idiots don't get in the way.