PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mataway Overseeder-Have you used one?

Bellenviro
02-26-2009, 12:28 AM
I am looking to purchase one. Who has one? How well does it work? etc.

I am speaking mainly to Cool Season Landscapers.

Thanks

:walking:

humble1
02-26-2009, 08:59 AM
They work well, I used to rent one years ago and run blue, rye, creeping red thru it. You just have to seed and one direction then cross it at a 45 deg angle so it doesnt look like rows of corn growing. I later purchased a lesco overseeder. Now I have found that if I aerate the hellout of a lawn and overseed after I get as good, if not better results.

wcheek
02-26-2009, 10:41 PM
I bought one 2 yrs ago and it does a great job. However, by the end of the day you will be worn out! Mine is gear driven and pulls itself but the raising, lowering and turning around is exhausting. Its not the easiest machine to circle around trees and landscaping and such.

jaybird24
02-27-2009, 08:27 AM
They are a good overseeder, always had good luck with them. You might want to check out Lawn Solutions Turf Revitalizer, it does a great job, and is easy as pie to operate.

Bellenviro
02-27-2009, 11:47 AM
How much did you spend on the Turf revitalizer? Did you get the 9 hp or the 6 hp?

Thanks for the response everyone...

lawn king
02-27-2009, 02:47 PM
They are good machines, they produce good results and operating one all day makes operating a core aerator look like fun!

Bellenviro
02-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Are you talking about the Ryan or the Lawn Solutions?

lawn king
02-28-2009, 09:35 AM
The ryan is a bear to operate! If its cheap and you only plan to use it occasionally go for it. If you plan on doing a lot of sliceseeding i would look at newer tech.

kenny s
03-01-2009, 11:12 AM
I purchased a Lawn Solutions Turf Revitilizer, (9hp), last fall and I love it!! I could not use the Ryan overseeder again after using this machine. It is like a dream to operate with the hydro drive fwd/rev, and the controls on the top by the handles. It has 2 fwd speeds, and you just compress the handles in and you are in reverse, it is that easy! I have been operating lawn machines for 35 yrs., and this is one of the best made machines I own. I agree with Lawn King, if you are going to be doing more of this type service, you should give serious thought to the Lawn Solutions Revitilizer, or one very similar, because it will save you a bundle in time spent on jobs, wear and tear on your body, it is easy to maintain and service. This machine is a front seeder as apposed to a rear seeder. I am not experienced enough with this specific application to say what is better, front or rear seeding. The Revitilizer's thatching blades are in the rear of the seeder, so the premise is, that the round blades cut the dropped seed into the soil at the depth you set it at, 9which takes about 5 seconds to set on the side of the machine. It has the dial in the front to set the amount of seed you want to put down per 1000 sq. ft. I myself am still getting to know the machine and what works for me, but I have been told that 1/4 to 1/2 inch depth for planting seed is proper. Of course the type of soil conditions, seed type, watering, etc all play into the configuration. The more experienced contractors in this type of service on this site will help you out tremendously. I paid $3300.00 for my Lawn Solutions 9 hp brand new. It does a great job thaching as well. I might not even use my other thatching machine this spring for clean ups, one less machine I have to carry around.

TMlawncare
03-01-2009, 05:38 PM
If you were to use the Ryan one day and then used the Lawn Solutions you would be floored. The Ryan will leave you sore and tired after the first 30 minutes. The Lawn Solutions is so easy to run. Its almost like you are not seeding at all, almost like mowing. In my opinion, it is the best walk behind seeder on the market. Not one other brand even comes to mind. It is that much of a break through.

lawn king
03-01-2009, 07:40 PM
This lawn solutions co. seems to be the real deal. Im waiting (snow) to demo their new aerator. If its as easy to operate as it looks on the video & pulls a quality plug, i will but it on the spot!

zurfsturfcare
03-22-2009, 09:22 PM
for those of you that have that mataway dethatcher/overseeder, how do u guys clean up the thatch brought up without bothering the new seeds?