PDA

View Full Version : Phone call at 11:00pm

VARMIT COMMISSION
02-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Last night at 11:00 pm phone rings. It was a customer I had sprayed earlier that day. Customer "x" says he has been out in the yard running his hand all over the lawn trying to smell the chemical I had sprayed. X say's I cant smell anything on my hand and would like to know exactly what you sprayed on my lawn. I use dye in my first round so it was obvious that I had been there. I told him exactly what I had sprayed. He said well if you sprayed then I should be able to smell it. I stewed on it for a while and decided to take his check back to him and drop him as a customer. Then in 2 weeks go back and say wow that water I sprayed with no chemical sure killed all your weeds. Wife says no way, you have never had a complaint, not one. Keep the payment and just go on as usual. This really pizzes me off. In fact I missed church last night just to do his yard. I was done for the day empty tanks heading home and he has called three times today asking when I was going to spray. I went home refilled and went back out at 5:30 just to get him off my back. You go above and beyond to keep people happy and this happens. To top it off when I pulled up he was getting a estimate from another lawn company.

4.3mudder
02-26-2009, 08:28 AM
What a joke, I don't know why people are like that, what a disgrace. Sorry to hear about that man, you can't please everyone. SOme people are like that and you just can't change them.

I wonder what he thought we he saw all the weeds dead in his yard :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:.

What an azzhole.

br549oicu8
02-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Sounds like a good one to drop. I hate those type!! ACK!!!
I especially love the one that complained that there were no granules on the driveway after we did a liquid application!!
"Here's Your Sign"!!

mngrassguy
02-26-2009, 08:50 AM
First, I would have asked him, "Why would I just spray water. What good would that do? Your lawn wouldn't turn green and your weeds wouldn't die. You would know this in 10-14 days and would drop me. That would be real stupid on my part. Just because you called, I will stop back in 2 weeks, free of charge, to make sure your lawn looks great. Would that be ok with you?" Then the truth would come out.

I would just brush it off, cash the check and move on. You just can't please all the people all of the time no matter how hard you try. Sounds like this guy is just looking for an excuse to drop you. I HATE liers and refuse to work for them anyway. I smell one here.

robertsturf
02-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Sounds like another customer for TGCL!!

greenbaylawns
02-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Next time tell him ya gotta eat it to tell. Just kidding. Wonder if he felt a liitle sick the next day

mngrassguy
02-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Sounds like another customer for TGCL!!

Or WAS. Maybe the guy got burned from them all ready and now he's just being gun shy?

Ric
02-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Varmit

Spray his yard with Malathion next time and the neighborhood will smell it.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Varmit

Spray his yard with Malathion next time and the neighborhood will smell it.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Some people are mad that it smells too much......Some think it should smell stronger than it does-WTF??:hammerhead:

treegal1
02-26-2009, 11:10 AM
To top it off when I pulled up he was getting a estimate from another lawn company.
how does 2 X trimec or three way treat the grass???? ROFL what a JA................

new ans. mac. mess.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuGQ8WSLyRA

Turfdoctor1
02-26-2009, 12:00 PM
sounds like a real piece of work.

my guess...one of your competitors from which he was getting the estimate told him to go out and sniff the grass. How many home owners do that on their own, especially when there is dye on the grass? none. customers are too stupid to think of that on their own. Somebody told him to do so, betcha.

Lawnmasters
02-26-2009, 04:39 PM
I get these kinds of calls at the office, along with, it sprinkled after you sprayed, so when you gonna come redo, and others. we tell them that they are not paying us to spray a particular product, smelly or not, on their property, they are paying us to make it look good, so wait until the product has a chance to work, then call if it doesn't.

as for the 11:00 call. I put a stop to that long ago. I put a message on my machine at home that said" you have reached the personal home of **** , If you are trying to reach Lawnmasters, you've made a terrible mistake, hang up and call *************** and have a nice day.

My night, and at home calls stopped dead. I done this after a customer called up drunk wanting to know "where's the mulch"

Hoots
02-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Add the mint fragrance that ric or rcreech (sorry guys can't remember who) mentioned. Put the fragrance in at 3-4 times recommended rate. Make him get a hotel for the week because he wanted to "smell" the application.

Think Green
02-26-2009, 08:21 PM
You know-there is no happy medium with this type of customer. I know that there are many people whom are stuck with the old time mindset that something has to smell to work. Back when I changed from using Malathion, Dursban,and Diazinon, to Pyrethroid products, nicotinal and carbaryl products, they were confused that I wasn't applying anything affective against insect control. I even have some older folks that want and I repeat ("WANT") to see the granules on the driveway and sidewalks after I leave. They feel that the water system or rain will wash those little pieces of lawn candy into the cracks and fertilize the perimeters real well.!?! I have had people go after we leave---pick up a prill of fertilizer--smell it--squish it--roll it in their fingers and look totally puzzled for a few minutes.??????????????????and eventually walk back into the house.

You have to remember, customers now are more informed and have the ability to review and study lawn maintenance on the web just as anyone else. They are watching, reading, and learning from sites like this. They do not want to be disallusioned or hoodooed into paying for something that they feel they aren't getting.

I really hate spraying anything with a gruesome odor like Pendimethalin, but for the prood in the pudding, I use it to shut their mouths and close the door to doubt of what was applied.

SOOO! What did you spray the lawn with?

VARMIT COMMISSION
02-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Aqua-cap, round-up,surfractant,dye and a trace of 3-way left in my tank.

Think Green
02-26-2009, 08:54 PM
V.C.,
With all that in your tank residually, the customer must have had a severe cold,the flu, or severe sinus problems, because I can smell the use of 80/20 sufactant by itself....!
Stick to your guns on this one!
Thanks for the reply!

mattfromNY
02-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Maybe you should go organic, and apply some composted chicken $hit. He'll never forget you were there. (I help out on a organic dairy farm, and when they use that stuff, neighbors for miles start calling and complaining!! You DONT want to get any of that stuff on yer boots, or the wife wont let you in the house.)

turf hokie
02-27-2009, 06:12 AM
[QUOTE=Think Green;2804723]
You have to remember, customers now are more informed and have the ability to review and study lawn maintenance on the web just as anyone else. They are watching, reading, and learning from sites like this. They do not want to be disallusioned or hoodooed into paying for something that they feel they aren't getting.

QUOTE]

There in lies the problem....they are partially or misinformed and take the web as gospel because some "expert" gardener said so.

If they were so well informed they would not be touching or rubbing or rolling prills in their hands.

LawnTamer
02-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Keep the check, and dump him. You did the work, why return the money?

He has no respect for you, your time, or your work. Write him a nice letter explaining that you went above and beyond to add him to your route that day, and that calling a business owner at his home at 11pm is rude and unacceptable behavior, and you have other potential clients waiting to take his slot.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Keep the check...you held up your end of the deal......I would of told him I sprayed it with liquid death and recommended he visit the hospital immediately and be checked out since he had direct contact with a chemical.....cause an azz hat a lil trouble

Ric
02-27-2009, 12:09 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Some people are mad that it smells too much......Some think it should smell stronger than it does-WTF??:hammerhead:

Liberety

I learned a long time ago you can't please everyone and I stopped trying too.

I am a night person and 11:00pm is no where near my bedtime. But if a customer called me with this BS at 11:00pm and interrupted my social life or quite time, I believe I might unload on them. I sell results not perfume and would tell them that in a NY second..

JustaGlimpseLandscapeMntc
02-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Last night at 11:00 pm phone rings. It was a customer I had sprayed earlier that day. Customer "x" says he has been out in the yard running his hand all over the lawn trying to smell the chemical I had sprayed. X say's I cant smell anything on my hand and would like to know exactly what you sprayed on my lawn. I use dye in my first round so it was obvious that I had been there. I told him exactly what I had sprayed. He said well if you sprayed then I should be able to smell it. I stewed on it for a while and decided to take his check back to him and drop him as a customer. Then in 2 weeks go back and say wow that water I sprayed with no chemical sure killed all your weeds. Wife says no way, you have never had a complaint, not one. Keep the payment and just go on as usual. This really pizzes me off. In fact I missed church last night just to do his yard. I was done for the day empty tanks heading home and he has called three times today asking when I was going to spray. I went home refilled and went back out at 5:30 just to get him off my back. You go above and beyond to keep people happy and this happens. To top it off when I pulled up he was getting a estimate from another lawn company.

He's probably been doing that to his lawn companies every year, from the sounds of it 2-3x's a year, each time he gets a new company. You can blame him for the first few times he did it to other companies, but now, give him a break, he has no brain cells left.:dizzy:

Keep the money, mark it up to another nutcase customer, and feel sorry for that company that was there when you went back, they're next.

smikes1031
04-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Not a LCO, just a hobbyist who frequents this site. Saw this thread and it reminded me of another lawnsite post. Funny.

Posted by Tharrell in the mowing forum on 4/9/08 - I remembered it and found it with a search . . .

"I may be mistaken but, I think the jist of your post is about customer satisfaction.
One experience I'll never forget, when I was brand new-fresh out of training for Orkin pest control in Florida.
I had a customer that had white carpet, poodles and a baby grand piano in her house-do you get the picture?
She said she had some folks stopping by and was concerned about the smell. I normally used Dursban 2E which stunk like a muther...
I decided to use Tempo WP which was new and didn't really smell.
Proper service is "crack and crevice", most folks know the bugman walks around spraying baseboards (which is just for show).
She called the office and complained that I didn't service her home!!!
I explained everything to the branch manager and he said to go "stink it up".
She was happy when her house smelled like a chemical warehouse and I learned a valuable lesson about making the customer happy. Tony"