PDA

View Full Version : Took a cancel today

mngrassguy
02-26-2009, 11:15 AM
How would you overcome this objection?

"Thank you for your prior year lawn service.
I will not be renewing service this year.
It in no way reflects the quality of your service. Just the current economy.
Thanks again and please do not restart my lawn service."

Ric
02-26-2009, 11:41 AM
MN

A common problem that we all will be seeing more of. The best thing is to tighten your belt and hope to stay afloat. All the Ice Cream Obama is trying to sell won't change the facts we are going down the tubes. While the economists are telling us 2010 will turn around, I personally don't believe it is going to happen.

Rayholio
02-26-2009, 11:52 AM
All you can do is explain that your local economy is still fairly strong, and the reason it is strong is that people are doing more and more business with people who are known to re-utilize their money locally. Spending money at walmart, and tru-green won't help anyone because the profit is being spent out of state... Then offer them a free service.. if that doesn't work.. Lower price.. If that doesn't work.. Buh-Bye...

Bummer.. I got a couple of these last yer...

treegal1
02-26-2009, 12:16 PM
MN

A common problem that we all will be seeing more of. The best thing is to tighten your belt and hope to stay afloat. All the Ice Cream Obama is trying to sell won't change the facts we are going down the tubes. While the economists are telling us 2010 will turn around, I personally don't believe it is going to happen.10 years down hill and 1 year back, what fairytale is this again???

mngrassguy
02-26-2009, 12:49 PM
This is the first cancel I've taken so far this year but it's the hardest one to overcome. I've gotten about 50% renewed so far after 10 days.

Rick

I know you like to talk politics and I do value your opinion. However, I doubt talking politics with them will help change their minds.:laugh:

What I'm looking for is what can I say to them to get them to change their mind.

Ray

I've thought of offering them the first one free...good idea, maybe. I have NEVER given anything away for free other than an estimate or a service call. I hate to start now.

These folk were the only cancel I took last year after I started service and that was just the last app.

Ric
02-26-2009, 02:02 PM
10 years down hill and 1 year back, what fairytale is this again???

Treegal

Once upon a time there was a great industrialized nation that believed in personal work ethics. However after winning WWII and no other major war. they became so prosperous and lazy. They gave their children Pac Man and X Boxes instead of an education and send all their industry to Asia. They let the unwashed masses into their country to do the work they were to good to do. But still believing they were a world power they lived on credit. Then one day a New Prince came along and told his subjects he would give them all Ice Cream and let future generation pay for it. These people believed him right up until the Chinese moved into their homes and made them plant rice. End of story, nite nite sleep tight.

a plus bob
02-26-2009, 02:16 PM
I did the freebie thing last year to save a cancel this year no freebie guess what CANCEL!!!!No more freebies from me!:nono:

turfsolutions
02-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Treegal

Once upon a time there was a great industrialized nation that believed in personal work ethics. However after winning WWII and no other major war. they became so prosperous and lazy. They gave their children Pac Man and X Boxes instead of an education and send all their industry to Asia. They let the unwashed masses into their country to do the work they were to good to do. But still believing they were a world power they lived on credit. Then one day a New Prince came along and told his subjects he would give them all Ice Cream and let future generation pay for it. These people believed him right up until the Chinese moved into their homes and made them plant rice. End of story, nite nite sleep tight.

"Banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

Quotes by-

Thomas Jefferson 1802

I would write a note to this customer and explain that you understand the situation, and if in the future you decide to use a lawn service to keep you in mind.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-26-2009, 02:46 PM
If that was a written note - I would probably call and dig a little deeper.
Using the economy as an excuse is lame - people are still personally responsible for themselves - just because the media hypes up the downturn does not mean EVERYONE is in a downturn. In fact if you make that point to this person, and sell the value of what you do, you may just get some of the biz back.

Rayholio
02-26-2009, 02:48 PM
one free treatment out of 5 is only a 20% discount.. but I've found people actually respond better to the strait 20% on every service for a year..

treegal1
02-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Treegal

Once upon a time there was a great industrialized nation that believed in personal work ethics. However after winning WWII and no other major war. they became so prosperous and lazy. They gave their children Pac Man and X Boxes instead of an education and send all their industry to Asia. They let the unwashed masses into their country to do the work they were to good to do. But still believing they were a world power they lived on credit. Then one day a New Prince came along and told his subjects he would give them all Ice Cream and let future generation pay for it. These people believed him right up until the Chinese moved into their homes and made them plant rice. End of story, nite nite sleep tight.I see it and just don't understand how everyone else does not. guess that's why i have no respect for my generation, bunch of lazy bong holding fools, trapped by there x boxes. lets see how many can live on the land??? it is coming to that is it not??? famine in the US???

PROCUT1
02-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Let it go.

Translated that means......I DONT HAVE ANY MONEY.

They are probably in trouble and are cutting everything they can to survive as many are right now.

Dont make it any more difficult for them.

They dont need to explain their reason in the first place. Its just business. Customers come and go.

If it were a service issue, then maybe a phone call and see if you can correct it.

Thank them for their business, tell them you will be here for them when they are ready to start back up again. Keep them on your mailing list and leave them alone.

mngrassguy
02-26-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm sure your right Procut. Some people are just to proud to say it's financial. I don't blame them if it's the difference between feeding the lawn or feeding the children.

PROCUT1
02-26-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm sure your right Procut. Some people are just to proud to say it's financial. I don't blame them if it's the difference between feeding the lawn or feeding the children.

Just gotta read between the lines. Economy=Financial.

One thing I learned a long time ago is that its not worth stressing about every customer that leaves.

I used to do that. If a customer canceled service, I would literally lose sleep over it. I would do whatever it took to keep them if it was possible.

After a while, I realized, they come and go.

You cannot satisfy everyone no matter what. If overall you do a good job, and overall have a good price, you will continue in the growth direction.

Never burn bridges. Always keep in contact with them.

I find even if its a service issue, chances are they will come back.

Always leave on a good note.

And make it easy for them to leave. i know it sounds strange but it works.

If you make it hard for them to leave or make their leaving experience embarrassing or a lot of work for them, they will never be back. They will always think "I dont want to get stuck again"

I always took the attitude when a customer canceled that they never left as a customer. They are only putting their service on hold.

If you get your copies made at Office Max, you are an office max customer.
If you dont have copies to make today, you are still an office max customer.

Always look at it that way. They are still your customer, even if youre not currently providing service for them.

And if they call you back, treat them like they are a customer.

I never agree when guys say on here "Jack them up 10%" or something to that effect.

You want them to feel comfortable with their relationship with you or your company.

Some of my best customers are ones who have left and come back.

fl-landscapes
02-26-2009, 03:36 PM
I see it and just don't understand how everyone else does not. guess that's why i have no respect for my generation, bunch of lazy bong holding fools, trapped by there x boxes. lets see how many can live on the land??? it is coming to that is it not??? famine in the US???

Couldnt agree more. Your or our generation is certainly anything but ambitious. The problem is in past generations if you were lazy...you failed you got bad grades you didn't get the good job you didnt make the team. Hard work paid off. Nowadays seems like laziness is being rewarded. The responsible majority will be paying for the irresponsible minority. Pay for their homes and anything else they can't afford. We are a nation with an entitlement attitude.

treegal1
02-26-2009, 03:49 PM
, yep the way I see it is winner takes the prize!!! no in the gen X crowd, no it works like this everyone else is so f----d up that just by default your it,WTF. where is Darwin?? and worthless thinkers, with no spine or common sense, and the sun is going to kill me......... weak azz lazy, I hate it, then they cry that a foreigner takes there job, HELP WANTED!!!PLEASE!!!! DL # and a 3-4 day a week on time start is all i ask. and where does that put me today, yep on a rope doing, the work. not that i dont like to climb, its just that the desk got cold and the phone was,,,,,,,,,,, alone lets say. every time i see one of these anti illegal rallies in town i stand with the help wanted sign, never a taker!!!!

grassman177
02-26-2009, 04:17 PM
i dont discount anything for business . i think i am well priced now as it is and now one is discounting for me the other way. sorry, but i dont thnk so

sprayboy
02-26-2009, 06:11 PM
MN

I agree with the things procut said.

I used to lose sleep with every cancel, still take cancels hard and not sleeping well now due to renewal letters out less than a week.

I am getting cancels in now, mainly getting cutbacks from 4 apps to just doing 2 apps, spring and fall. These are generally 1 acre lawns and bigger.People are telling me they just need to cut back a little..........very understandable.

If it was a letter they sent, call them, thank them for their business, let them know that you can get them back on schedule anytime during the year if they so desire. Don't be pushy.......leave on good terms.

I never offer discounts on price or free apps, that just opens the door for them to ask for them all the time. Or it leaves the impression that you was trying to screw them all along if you can do it cheaper.

Most of the time you will get these people back.

Just my thoughts.

turf hokie
02-26-2009, 06:47 PM
We have 2 cancels, with 50% response and of those 15% prepay. So not to bad

The last cancel simply stated "things have changed we will no longer be using your service" could mean any number of things. They were a customer for 2 seasons. I am not calling them to offer anything. I will simply send a card next winter with a $25 discount if they decide to come back. (basically I will give them my standard referral discount to sign back up)

ted putnam
02-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Treegal

What a bummer...I thought it was supposed to end with "...and they lived happily ever after." Now I'm going to have nightmares until this recession ends.

MStine315
02-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Great posts Procut. Very professional take. I offer them reduced number of apps., then leave it at that. I think I'm going to send a thank you note to those who have canceled as well (thanking them for their business-not for canceling, lol). Leave them with a good taste instead of bad.

humble1
02-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Treegal

Thank God, Another one of us who wont drink the cool aide.

Ric
02-26-2009, 11:54 PM
"Banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

Quotes by-

Thomas Jefferson 1802

I would write a note to this customer and explain that you understand the situation, and if in the future you decide to use a lawn service to keep you in mind.

Turf

Not a shot fired. Chinia already is buying our debt, it is just a matter of time.

humble1
02-27-2009, 04:12 PM
"Banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation,

Actually you dont have to worry about that the Gov is moving towards socialized banks rapidly, they just today were talking about getting a 40% preferred stock that would be converted to common stock. Just so you know when the GOV prints money it doesnt have, that is what causes deflation of the dollar. Nothing to do with the banks.

humble1
02-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Actually you dont have to worry about that the Gov is moving towards socialized banks rapidly, they just today were talking about getting a 40% preferred stock that would be converted to common stock. Just so you know when the GOV prints money it doesnt have, that is what causes deflation of the dollar. Nothing to do with the banks.

Oh yeah the inflation will come when the economy bounces back everyone that wasnt spending money will, companies will expand, you and I get busy we raise our prices, you call the plumber to fix your toilet he raises his prices because he is so busy. see how that works, nothing to do w/ the banks.

lawnguy26
02-27-2009, 09:24 PM
This is the first cancel I've taken so far this year but it's the hardest one to overcome.

One Cancel!! How many customers do you have? I'm at 22 so far this year. 20 of them because of financial reasons and "the economy".

Forget about it and move on. If you provided a good service they will come back when they want a good service.

mngrassguy
02-27-2009, 11:45 PM
1045, 55% renewed. Lowest cancel rate I've ever had at this point and I was worried. Pre-paids are higher than normal too. Keeping my fingers crossed. I know this trend can change in a heartbeat.