PDA

View Full Version : Referral discount question???

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Alright-I sent out referral letter & tear off cards this year with the prepay letters. I just recieved a letter from a customer I picked up in the Spring of last year asking me if I will credit him $60 for the 3 referrals he sent my way last year. Say's he is wondering so that he can decide if he wants all of the services this year (he has 5 apps, 3x perimeter pest, grub, core aeration) I wasn't planning on giving credits for referrals done in the past........

Any ideas?

What would YOU do?

Hate to give away the farm, but if he drops perimeter pest control I'm out more than if I credit him the $60:confused:

turfsolutions
02-26-2009, 01:30 PM
That's funny he wanted $60 because that is exactly what I offer to all my customers in a flyer with their contract if they refer me a lawn ap customer before May 1st. It costs me at least that much per landed customer for all the other forms of advertising. It usually gets me 5-10 new customers per season.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-26-2009, 01:51 PM
I offer $20 for each new customer-he referred 3... Would you credit him for them, even though the offer was not in place last year when he did the referrals?

fl-landscapes
02-26-2009, 02:01 PM
I offer $20 for each new customer-he referred 3... Would you credit him for them, even though the offer was not in place last year when he did the referrals?

way your cost. You say it would cost you more than $60 if you lose his app. Just give him the credit. Maybe he reffers more people and at the very least you have a happy LOYAL customer

turf hokie
02-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Give it to him, but make it sound like you are going way beyond what you would normally do, but he is a good customer and you hope he continues to refer people to you so therefore you will give him the credit on his account.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Yea, my first instinct was to give it to him. Cost of 1 new customer averages over $60. My wife says hell no, don't give him anything! I never listened to here before, why start now:laugh:

I just don't like people who want everything for free-been down that road before!:hammerhead:

turf hokie
02-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Yea, my first instinct was to give it to him. Cost of 1 new customer averages over $60. My wife says hell no, don't give him anything! I never listened to here before, why start now:laugh:

I just don't like people who want everything for free-been down that road before!:hammerhead:

I hear ya, my wife says the same thing all the time, why do you ask my opinion and then ignore it, oh well.....

They like to be hardasses, especially when it comes to money. I look at it like this, he referred 3 people, does more than the basic services and hopefully will continue to refer people and do the same services in the past.

mngrassguy
02-26-2009, 02:30 PM
I would (and have) give it to him. Tell him you'll do it just for him and not to tell anyone though. It will make him feel special. At least he called and asked. I hate it when people just take it upon themselves to adjust my paycheck.

Grandview
02-26-2009, 03:15 PM
I would give it to him. Sounds like he likes your service and talks about it. I would do tell him not to tell anybody else. You want him to talk about you.
If you want him to feel a little extra special and talk even more, send him a 70.00 credit.

GracesLandscaping
03-02-2009, 02:06 PM
make sure you have an agreement first that he will let you take care of his lawn the rest of the year if you do this!!! and i think 60 is worth three accounts... look at how much extra profit your getting off those 3... also if you piss him off, he obviously talks about you alot and this will all go from positive talk to negative talk. and we all know that word of mouth is the most effective advertising.